back to article On today's a-gender: Axing net neutrality will harm America's women, say women senators

Almost all female Democrats in the US Senate have come out against the push by FCC chairman Ajit Pai to tear up America's net neutrality regulations, arguing the rules are important for women nationwide. In a letter [PDF] sent to the federal comms regulator, 14 of the 16 female Democratic senators take issue with Pai's …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

So, net neutrality will piss off some female Democrats? Pai is sure to do something now. Just not in their favour I expect L-(

2. Ilsa Loving

Don't see how that letter helps

While it may be entirely true that women disproportionally benefitted indirectly from Net Neutrality, I'm not sure that this is a good avenue to take. We already know that Republicans couldn't give a flying rats ass about women, so if they were hoping that this letter would accomplish anything, they wasted their time.

They should stick to the general case, which is that removing Net Neutrality will decimate small internet businesses, who don't have the capital to pay the inevitable bribe money that ISPs will demand to make sure their data isn't throttled badly.

That's a nice business you have there. Would be a shame if people couldn't get to it, know what I mean?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Don't see how that letter helps

"We already know that Republicans couldn't give a flying rats ass about women"

correction: YOU already BELIEVE that. But it's just, plain, false. Saying it like that does NOT make it true. The fact is that Republicans aren't "affirmative action" types. THAT much is true. but they're not "misogynists" because they don't support some idiotic kind of quota or preference system designed to punish men so that THEY can know what it's like to "get screwed".

Ugh, the emotional-manipulation bombs are being thrown again. I hope that those who throw such things are hoisted by their OWN petards!

3. Dr. Ellen
    Facepalm

The chorus to ALL the songs in the papers.

World ends tomorrow! Women and children hardest hit!

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Pint

Re: The chorus to ALL the songs in the papers.

have a beer! you deserve it!

2. cosmogoblin
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: The chorus to ALL the songs in the papers.

I strongly disagree with the principle you're espousing here.

However, you did it so well, I couldn't help but laugh, so have an upvote!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Self-selection...

Etsy (example given in the article) tends to sell rather feminine goods. That plus Etsy's emphasis on more locally/handcrafted items kind of explains why so many of the vendors on Etsy are women/women-owned.

I think you can definitely argue that net neutrality helps small businesses with a web presence relative to Conglomo-Megacorp International (Amazon, Facebook, other usual suspects), but I'm not sure that is a real gender issue.

Still, I am generally in favor of the Obama administration net neutrality rules vs. the new proposals--so if the "bits for Women!" tack works, then I am OK with it.

5. tom dial Silver badge

The letter claims that the number of women-owned firms grew five times as fast as the total during the period between 2007 and 2016. For most of that period there no net neutrality order was effective, and in particular, providers were allowed to provide enhanced service at a higher rate. There is, therefore, very weak evidence at best that reclassification as a Title II service and the subsequent net neutrality order adopted in February 2015 had anything to do with it. Etsy, mentioned in the same paragraph, seems to have fallen on rather hard times and not grown my much in the last couple of years, but its earlier growth can hardly be credited to net neutrality requirements.

In general, it seems likely that very new businesses using or based on internet services will have less trouble paying for any necessary service enhancements than in getting noticed among a few hundred million others, some of which may already be large and well established.

6. Korev Silver badge

Etsy?

Etsy are surely a bad example as they probably have the size to get around this.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Press releases daily

I expect every day will bring exciting news:

Axing Net Neutrality will harm Latinos, say Democrat Latinos

Axing Net Neutrality will harm African Americans, say Democrat African Americans

Axing Net Neutrality will harm transgender bicyclists, say Democrat transgender bicyclists

I hope The Register doesn't miss any.

1. P. Lee

Re: Press releases daily

In other news, "Pushing people's buttons generates page impressions."

And later, "Why the 'targeted advertising' model might be driving partisanship."

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No problem

Just keep up the fight for gender neutral, or flex gender, or whatever the cr@p it is being called these days. Women just need to identify as Male, Other, Turtle, Spork, etc. and the concern goes away.

9. Mike Rodgers

Pai is like the Honey Badger - he don't give a sh*t.

10. Phukov Andigh Bronze badge

this used to be a joke and a warning to journo students

there was what was once a joke headline, that served as a warning to students in journalism classes:

"World Comes To End: Women And Children Hardest Hit"

now that's standard MO for media. Think of the Children or Think of the Women to get emotional responses and play "divide and conquer".

Also, follow the money. any pols for or against NN have an expensive constituency that donates to convince their side. One side wants more money for their pipe, the other wants to maintain obscene profits using someone else's pipe.

One wants toll roads on all roads, the other wants to freely move big rigs full of stuff 24/7 down residential streets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like