back to article BT to pay £22m in interest to rivals in ethernet overcharging case

BT has been ordered to dig into its pocket and pay rivals £22m in interest following its overcharged for its backhaul ethernet services between 2006-2011. In December 2012, BT was ordered to pay Cable & Wireless Worldwide (now Vodafone), Sky, TalkTalk, Verizon and Virgin £95m after it was found to have overcharged its British …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BT have been overcharging everybody for years.

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

£22m interest on £95m? I want those interest rates.

1. Frank Bitterlich

We're talking about the overcharging up to 11 years ago. An interest rate of just 3% amounts to roughly 34% over 10 years.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where's my cut?

As a former / current customer of some of those companies, where's my refund for when I was overcharged?

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Where's my cut?

You weren't overcharged. You agreed to a price and contract and paid it to those third-parties.

Any refund would have come from those companies direct because your contract would have guaranteed it and was much more clear-cut. Or you had no refund owing whatsoever.

This is those companies recouping anything they may have had to refund you (likely zero given most of the guarantees on those circuits) and the interest on them being out of pocket during that time based on their contract. Not you recouping from them based on yours.

As always, your contract is with the company who supplied you, not the underlying contractor they choose to use. Otherwise you'd be in a whole heap of trouble because no end of shouting would ever fix your problems and they'd just tell you "talk to BT, nothing to do with us, oh by the way you owe us this month's payment".

4. Andre Carneiro

Schadenfreude

I know I probably shouldn't, but as an end-consumer of Openreach products and an ex-consumer of BT shite it gives me great pleasure to see them fined, broken up and whatever other means of inflicting "pain" on a corporate entity are available.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two words: Italian Pasta.

BT should just release an authentic Italian Cookbook.

They have all the necessary skills in house, in the UK.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Interest rates for business debts (which this is a form of) are set by statutory rules in the UK

But if some of those disputes run back a decade it mounts up.

Damm right companies should exercise their rights to charge such interest. Effectively BT have treated this as an interest free loan IE free cash.

BTW in the business debts payment lead the UK is the 2nd slowest, Only Italy pays slower.

But on the upside post Brexit the UK will be in a league of its own on business bill payment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon