Fake MS support phone calls

This topic was created by Loud Speaker .

1. Loud Speaker

Fake MS support phone calls

I get at least one call a day from a fake MS support person - many from the same person who calls himself Michael or Andrew, depending on the weather. And about 5 silent calls.

We are a Linux/BSD house, and have no Microsoft products here. If I take the calls, I am normally rude to the caller. If it interrupts me while doing something important, I am extremely offensive.

Why can't we have a number - like 1471 - that reports the previous call as a nuisance call. The BT (or whoever) can have their robots deal with the situation.

I used to work for a telco, I know damn well that someone pays BT to terminate these calls, and they can be easily traced by BT's computers. No pay - no calls is BT's policy.

Whoever they are, they should be "terminated" with the assistance of the mafia. Personally, I would like to see BT's directors jailed for not fixing this - they are clearly guilty of "aiding and abetting fraud" - and, since they tend to lie that they cant stop it, "obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception".

Perhaps you can add to the charge sheet?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fake MS support phone calls

we have these calls from time to time. always fun when an end user calls up asking for team viewer to be unblocked because Microsoft wants to connect to fix their PC...

I think the problems with tracing back the calls is that many originate overseas and are spoofing their caller ID to look like a national or local number. I know this is not an excuse, but I imagine there are all sorts of tricks in play to hide the origin (at least 7 proxies!)

2. rmnbsk

I also get these calls often. These are big scammers. you can google about how to report these numbers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon