back to article 135 million Indian government payment card details leaked

If you're enthused about governments operating large-scale online identity projects, here's a cautionary tale: the Indian government's eight-year-old Aadhaar payment card project has leaked a stunning 130 million records. Aadhaar's role in authenticating and authorising transactions, and as the basis of the country's UID ( …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

If in doubt legislate. Training those departments named in the leaks would probably be cheaper.

2. JLV

Reminds me of a short story in W Gibson's Burning Chrome. The story's hacker protagonist has specialized in screwing poor Africans out of their money:

While they don't have much to steal there are many of them and they are badly protected.

India needs to up its game there if they don't want to emulate Bengladesh's Swift miseries.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Indian IT at it's finest

And these idiots are coding for YOUR bank too

1. Mark 85

Re: Indian IT at it's finest

Damn it... we need a "thousand upvote" button.

Not just banks, but insurance companies, retail business.. just about everything. This stuff scares the crap out of me and makes me want to kill all credit cards and as much banking as I can... cash only but that's not an option.

1. Sitaram Chamarty

Why is it not an option? I am **pissed as hell** that the Indian government now wants to make Aadhaar mandatory even for paying taxes, which effectively means it's mandatory period. (The original idea was that it was mandatory only if you needed government benefits -- subsidised stuff for instance).

As a protest, I have now stopped using my credit card for anything less than 2000 rupees (an arbitrary limit I set; could vary depending on circumstances but that's the general idea).

Yes, ATMs have been (slyly, without any announcement or explanation, by the way) mostly dry for months now, but I go to my bank and get cash once in a couple of weeks or once in a month, and that works out fine. So far.

Am I at risk of being mugged or robbed, since this is cash? Maybe. I don't use public transport so I should be mostly OK. Does this form of protest actually register? Surely not -- its not as if Modi is worrying himself at night thinking "OMG, Sitaram is going against my cash-less dream". Is it any use then? Yes -- my own psychological satisfaction, plus the opportunity to talk about Aadhaar and explain its problems to everyone who asks me "why are you carrying so much cash".

I was a solid supporter of his anti-black money initiative last November, but Aadhaar is where I draw the line; I am now an ardent Modi- and Jaitley- hater.

But don't read too much into that -- Aadhaar was created by the corrupt crooks who are currently in opposition -- the Congress (spelled c-o-r-r-u-p-t-i-o-n) party. So, unless the Supreme Court does the right thing, all Indians are royally screwed in terms of their biometrics and other data being essentially public. Forever.

2. Sitaram Chamarty

Probably not, actually. The projects cited are all government projects, AFAICT. Sad to say, government employment does not attract good people.

That said, "privacy and security" are still "unknowns" for most developers.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

135 million you say? A mere bagatelle

Using 2015 stats, that leaves 1,176,000,000 Indians unaffected *

* Albeit many of these may not have bank accounts.

5. cantankerous swineherd

coming to the UK soon now we have the digital economy act.

6. Christoph
    Facepalm

Aadhaar has very strong privacy regulation built into it

Well that's OK then. I'm sure that all the criminals will obey those regulations.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Indian coding

Quality thereof. Discuss..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like