back to article Sun sets on eight domain names managed by CentralNic

Owners of domain names at several extensions, including .gb.com, will no longer be able to use their registered sites as of this week, with reseller CentralNic having told customers those domains have been "sunset". The company informed customers that eight domain extensions had been "sunsetted", meaning that new registrations …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a scam

Those aren't real second-level domains, which means they were selling subdomains, eg: yourname.geocities.com

Selling these for "defensive purposes" was a lovely scam, but people who built real sites should have done more diligence. Being a subdomain of some rando doesn't convey any rights.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: What a scam

Sure, but what we know isn't relevant - it's how they may be perceived by the pubic that counts.

2. TRT Silver badge

Gourmet Burger is gonna be pissed...

3. Neil Spellings

I received no notification from CentralNIC about this until I tried to renew a gb.com domain and it failed..

4. kain preacher

This is crappy. Centreal Nic is not like some fly by night org. You Buy a domain from them you expect it to last till you stop paying the bills.

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

CentralNIC are just agents for the real owners. They are probably just as miffed because it's them who are getting all the bad publicity.

5. cbars Bronze badge

"resellers were notified over 12 months prior to the official sunset date and were offered compensation which they could pass on to their registrants"

Did they?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OK, I'll register spam.xyz

Oh, I see, thats gone. Well any other xyz domain will do as they're all spaming domains anyway.

7. Terrible

Terrible

There are clear problems here. What the hell is this company selling subdomains of domains they do not own without making this abuundantly clear to domain name registrants who may have ahd these domains for many years ?

The second problem is that they seem to have sold loads of domain names for $4.5 million - would this not incluide these two letter .com's - if they don't own them then how can they sell them ??

Something does not smell right here.

8. WillC

He said: "It is of not of interest to my company to have a hotelkr.xyz domain which does not have the .com extension or any proper marketing recognition for the Korean Market."

Surely that's what the country code tlds are for?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like