back to article Kali Linux can now use cloud GPUs for password-cracking

Think passwords, people. Think long, complex passwords. Not because a breach dump's landed, but because the security-probing-oriented Kali Linux just got better at cracking passwords. Kali is a Debian-based Linux that packs in numerous hacking and forensics tools. It's well-regarded among white hat hackers and investigators, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Linux kernel doesn't support Realtek RTL8812AU

Says here it does: ref

1. TheProf

Re: Linux kernel doesn't support Realtek RTL8812AU

The Linux kernel doesn't support that silicon, but lots of mainstream modem-makers like D-Link, Belkin and TP-Link do. Adding support to Kali therefore makes it capable of probing a great many WiFi access points.

I think you missed this bit of the article.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: Linux kernel doesn't support Realtek RTL8812AU

I think you missed this bit of the article.

That still doesn't make sense to me. Either you're running Kali on a "modem" like those listed (in which case, you can use the wireless hardware), or you're communicating with these things as external devices (in which case, kernel support for the chipset is irrelevant; you talk to them over the standard 802.x network protocols).

Either way, this part of the article is very poorly worded.

2. Cronus

The bar has been raised again

It's cool that they've added decent support for taking advantage of the GPU oriented instances in AWS. That said AWS have just announced that they're going to provide instances with dedicated Xilinx FPGAs connected to them (https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2017/04/amazon-ec2-f1-instances-customizable-fpgas-for-hardware-acceleration-are-now-generally-available/).

I know before it went to ASICs people used to mine bitcoin using FPGAs so I'd say it's a fair bet you could get some pretty serious hashes/sec out of that for password cracking. Not sure it'd work well against things like bcrypt but would probably be great against SHA-X.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The bar has been raised again

Damn, that will make it hard to put my Friday pint on it.

3. Tom Paine

OpenVAS!

Wow, that's been a long hard field to plough for those peeps who took over the last Free Nessus codebase before Tenable closed it and went proprietary. I tried to get it working for months after the 1.0 release and got nowhere but Frustrationsville.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kali...

Shouldn't those lovable penguins have eight arms and lots of swords and skulls?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like