back to article Ransomware up. Breaches up. What do hackers want? Research, prototypes... all your secrets

Cyberespionage and ransomware attacks are on the increase, according to the latest annual edition of Verizon's breach report. Organisations in manufacturing, the public sector and education bore the brunt of spying attacks, it adds. Mounting high proliferation of propriety research, prototypes and confidential personal data …

1. cbars Bronze badge

What do <x> want?

Money!

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

There's probably scope for a nice little business setting up misinformation servers. Dump all your design failures on one then redirect any detected phishing attempts there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I proposed that years ago for protecting bank records of high value clients - drop a couple of false ones in the system (of course, known to the top and audited to prevent giving the banks more tools for fraudulent activity).

If someone is trying to dump a list of high value clients, they'd hit those records too at which point you have your alarm trigger to follow up.

Sadly, this is not allowed by most financial authorities (for reasons of fraud prevention as mentioned above).

3. Bob Hoskins

DBIR

If you've ever actually read this piece of crap, it tells you more about what Verizon (and indeed the Dutch police) don't know than what they do know.

The worst thing is the paper is all wrong for toilet paper.

4. Tom Paine
    Meh

"Super-depressing"?

...it's infosec. It's what we do.

5. Tom Paine

You mean like...

https://github.com/paralax/awesome-honeypots ?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: You mean like...

On the whole those honeypots seem to be directed at detecting and analysing attacks. What I had in mind was to provide content that could be sold on the industrial espionage market but would waste a lot of the purchasers' time by being a known dead end. Something like, say, a production process that had been looked at and abandoned because it was too costly and had too low a yield.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Verizon super depressing report's in

I've no need to read it, I got the report from some bloke in Russia last month.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Cyberespionage and ransomware attacks are on the increase

Have these people ever considered buying a computer that can't be hacked by opening an email attachment or clicking in a malicious weblink

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like