back to article FTC urged to probe easily penetrated telly-enabled teledildonic toy

The US Federal Trade Commission has been urged to launch a probe into a hackable sex toy, which is potentially exposing couples' teledildonic frolics to cyberpervs. Earlier this month, the Siime Eye vibrator was discovered to utilise hard-coded credentials making it "trivial" for attackers to gain unauthorised access to the …

1. Garry Perez
    Pint

Genius alliteration on the sub-headline guys

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah... lots of w*nking about that one.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is USA Inc

And we don't do IoT regulation...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: This is USA Inc

not to mention the very high level of (outwardly at least) christian fundys in US politics, the debates in the Houses over a Bill originating over a hackable IoT dildo should be something worth buying a ticket for!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This is USA Inc

An FTC investigation wouldn't involve a bill in the House.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perfect POV

Where can I buy one? Will have to restrict it to my local network however, thanks for the heads up.

4. Tachikoma
    Coffee/keyboard

I remember a few years ago it was a "thing" to put a particular search string into Google and it would give you the results for all the unsecured/open IP webcams and you could (allegedly) sit there watching nightclub door security cameras or baby monitors, etc. No doubt someone is crafting the search string for these devices as we speak.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

that's shodan.io for you now...

5. Warm Braw

Hard-coded credentials

Noone should be coding if they're distracted to that extent.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Weird place to start

I must admit to a degree of bafflement that teledildonics is the first industry which gets a penetrating look re. security. There are plenty of other areas that are more deserving of a look, the hard on for this device almost suggests someone's taken this personal..

1. DNTP

Re: Weird place to start

The sex toy industry doesn't have an army of lobbyists in DC constantly screaming for deregulation. Also a lot of our politicians think they can score 'morality points'.

Doesn't make an excuse for having horrible security practices in the first place. I guess it's not the government's business if people die in chemical factory disasters, as long as we're adequately regulating harmless consensual private activities between adults.

7. Sir Sham Cad

Re: adult Internet of Things

*ahem* Once again and certainly more appropriately this time I offer you: Internet of Thongs.

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Oxymoron alert

adult Internet of Things industry

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Pen test

I can't believe this was found after all the penetration testing it has been through.

Thumbs up icon because thumbs don't have cameras.

1. John 110
      Joke

Re: Pen test

"Thumbs up icon because thumbs don't have cameras."

except on the tokyo subway...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pen test

How the heck could I miss the "penetration testing" angle?

I better check if someone has switched out the coffee with decaf again..

:)

10. Stevie

Bah!

This should be something Pai can grab with both hands. He could propose stiff fines, and stiffer ones if satisfaction is not provided in a suitable time.

11. ma1010
    Paris Hilton

FCC do something to stop this? Not bloody likely!

Remember, this is Pai, the guy who doesn't believe in any sort of privacy if it might possibly hinder corporate profits. He will probably be promulgating rules to allow the manufacturer to own the rights to put the video feeds on the Internet where they can charge pervs to watch them. Or he might create rules for a bidding system where, if the users pay an exorbitant fee, the company won't put their videos on the Internet. "Welcome to Blackmail, the game you can play with yourself."

I wouldn't put any of this past him. Paris because I think Pai is about that bright. Or maybe he is smart, but just evil.

12. simonpearse

sex dolls that slurp DATA as well? whatever next?

13. Version 1.0 Silver badge

The Steely Dan IoT

Given that Pai wants to give the ISP's access to all your data I don't see any special reason for concern - my recommendation to members of the Senate and Congress would be to make sure that you only use your Siime Eye vibrators via a VPN.

1. Stevie
      Pint

Re: The Steely Dan IoT

An e-pint for the WB reference.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So depending on your persuasion you could have a backdoor in your backdoor.

That's nice, it could be like double penetration. Kinky.

15. Sleep deprived
    Happy

Internet of Toys

- Ma'am, telemetry has informed us your... *ahem* toy is about to run out of power and our records indicate you're a heavy user so you might not want to wait the recharge time.

- You're bringing me a fresh power pack to swap in?

- Unfortunately, my service truck is lacking spare parts. But you may want to settle for the real thing... I'm here to help.

16. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon