back to article Nokia plans comeback on back of virtual reality

The Nokia as we traditionally know it is no more, and the reborn company of today is pinning a core part of its future business strategy on emerging virtual reality (VR) technologies. In the run-up to the National Association of Broadcasters trade show next week in Las Vegas, Nokia has announced the launch of OZO Reality – an …

1. Simon Rockman

See also what Lytro is doing. The company has pivoted from being a consumer device to an industrial one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lytro: pivoted consumer->industrial->TITSUP

(sorry, can't think of a backronym)

Might it be worth El Reg doing a "lessons learned" analysis in terms of Lytro hype vs Lytro scientific and engineering reality?

With particular focus on well-informed comments in the columns of this fine organ over the last few years?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Suicidal?

Do Nokia enjoy attempting to commit suicide? They failed against the giants Apple, and Google, and now they are pitching themselves against Facebook. I admire their positive attitude, but I do think it could be somewhat delusional and could finish them completely

1. James 51
      Joke

Re: Suicidal?

Don't you mean 'finnish'?

2. Lars Silver badge
      Go

Re: Suicidal?

Nokia will not risk its network business, this is probably about using patents and technology they already have. And I would hate to see companies stop trying just because of companies like Apple and Facebook. After all Nokia did not stop Jobs from trying either.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Earth to Nokia, we don't want this

So having established there's no real artistic or retail user demand, Nokia think they can flog this to the advertisers that most of us are fighting a (fairly successful) battle against.

Paul Melin, VP of Digital Media, Nokia Technologies, commented on the announcement, "We are developing new innovations that work together to empower storytellers, enable audiences to participate in content anywhere on any platform, and deliver on the promise of transformative experiences that help the human family feel more together.

Does the man have a master's degree in speaking bullshit? Adverts are shitty, timewasting adverts. I don't want f***ing "storytelling", I don't want to "participate" in their crapola content, and I'm most certainly not going to "feel more together" with the whole of human kind, just because of some crappy VR advert being spammed at me.

Mind you, at least Nokia have worked out that during the gold rush, the only people to make money sold shovels and gold pans. And in this context, Nokia have decided that scummy, over-budgeted advertisers (car makers, this means you in particular) will fall over themselves to try and convert their glossy yet tedious propaganda into some form of "transformative experience" of mind control. No thank you.

4. Lars Silver badge
    Coat

About Nokia Technologies

Nokia Technologies is indeed a very very small part of Nokia. This about them:

"Nokia Technologies develops advanced consumer and professional technology products in digital health and digital media. We are 800+ strong with locations in Beijing, China; Espoo, Tampere and Oulu in Finland; London, United Kingdom; Paris, France; Munich, Germany and four locations in the United States: Los Angeles, CA, San Francisco, CA, Boston, MA, and our headquarters in Sunnyvale, CA."

And some recent news:

" Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like