back to article Tesla's latest car crash: Its 'meritless' lawsuit against ex-Autopilot bod

Less than three months after Tesla sued a former manager, claiming he'd stolen its blueprints and tried to poach staff, the flash automaker has settled out of court. In January the Elon Musk-led upstart filed a lawsuit against its former of Autopilot program boss, Sterling Anderson, after he quit to start up an autonomous …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free auditing?

You mean free r and d!

2. Spudley

The underlying complaint here sounds remarkably similar to the story currently going on between Google and Uber.

Funny how in the Tesla case, it hasn't really made much in the way of news and nobody seems to have jumped to any conclusions, whereas in the Google / Uber case, there have been tons of stories about it, and everyone is assuming that Uber is guilty and could be in serious trouble with this suit.

Without making any judgements into the merits of either case, the one thing I take away from that comparison is that it goes to show what having a bad reputation for honesty will do for you. Uber really haven't done themselves any favours in that regard and it seems to be coming back to bite them.

3. Magani
    Facepalm

Self-regulating recall?

"... that suffer from a crappy parking brake that won't always release. The recall is voluntary."

Presumably only those vehicles that could get their parking brake to release could get to the service centre to take advantage of the recall?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Self-regulating recall?

I wonder how many Teslas end up fashion statements sitting in the garage/driveway for a week or more at a time, where people choose/jump in a conventional car (or have a chauffeur), because either they are not sure the distance, or its slightly more hassle disconnecting a charge cable. i.e. is the handbrake sticking a problem from lack of use / more a problem with the owner than the car itself.

Maybe they need a self run mode, where the car self drives round the block, to stretch the cars legs, once in a while.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Once they are fully autonomous 1), they can drive themselves back to the dealer/factory in case of recalls. Or missed payments; putting the Repo Man out of business.

1) Let's skip the discussion about when that 2) will be just once, okay?

2) Once your car will also be sentient, there'll be nothing but new problems. Like constant bickering about how "you only ever want to drive to boring places like work and shopping. I wanna go someplace fun!" and stuff like that. Who needs that?

1. Whiskers

>> 2) Once your car will also be sentient, there'll be nothing but new problems. Like constant bickering about how "you only ever want to drive to boring places like work and shopping. I wanna go someplace fun!" and stuff like that. Who needs that? <<

Sounds like the mind of a campervan stuck in the body of a hatchback. Are car mechanics going to have to become counsellors? Could the 'Thomas the Tank Engine' stories become foundation texts for a new vehicle culture?

2. Phukov Andigh Bronze badge

damn that gives me an idea for a "disruptive startup" app!

An "app" that connects financial institutions who need reposession services with individuals willing to do the work!

We promise to "properly vet" all the former car thieves! And of course we'll blame any "mistakes" on the lending outfits that send contracts.

After all, we're "just an app" and don't do any financial or repossession services ourselves!

now, who's got the startup cash? :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like