back to article Can nothing stop the Veeam tank? We hate to save you a click but: No

Has Veeam's record-breaking growth halted? Er, in a word, no. In its first 2017 quarter, the enterprise backup biz claims it added close to 12,000 total paid customers, taking the total to 242,000, in line with its historical average new-customer acquisition rate of approximately 4,000 per month. It reported, it says, another …

1. AMBxx Silver badge
    Headmaster

Needs some substance

Market share? Competitor growth?

Numbers in isolation don't mean a thing. For all the reader knows, Veeam may have a 1% market share and be growing more slowly than competitors.

Not sure what the maths equivalent of a grammar nazi is.

1. @hansdeleenheer

Re: Needs some substance

Have you been living under a rock for the last 5 tot 10 years? Although Veeam is privately owned and they do not have to disclose their revenue, everyone in the market knows that their growth track has put them onto a $1bln revenue either this year or even last year already. What do you think 250.000 paying customers means? Do you know how many people work for Veeam? Did you know Veeam NEVER attracted external capital? Multiple respected analyst agencies have put Veeam as market leader in the virtualization protection, surpassing Symantec and HP in the last year(s). Yes, growth numbers say nothing without a baseline but in Veeam's case that is not the fact. Your comment is ignorant at least.

1. Rickatron (Veeam)

Re: Needs some substance

We do disclose our revenue, 2016 was over USD $600M! But we don't put out earnings statements that would be required.

2. Tezfair

It's getting popular because it's free. I have dabbled with it and decided it's not as fantastic as people make it out to be.

1. Gostev

not talking free

242,000 are paid customers only... I don't have the number of free product customers, but I can tell you that Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE alone has been downloaded over 1 million times since inception.

3. Throatwobbler Mangrove
    Headmaster

"Can nothing stop the Veeam tank?...No"

So something can stop the Veeam tank?

Didn't you not mean "can't nothing not fail to stop the Veeam tank from not stopping?"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can nothing stop the Veeam tank?

I think I recognise the type of tank shown in the picture, and it wasn't especially unstoppable, although not without its good points at the time of design. Does that help? (Obviously El Reg wouldn't have chosen that picture without excellent reasons)

4. Runt Toast

Free? Maybe the basics but the enterprise stuff you gotta pay for and it's pretty amazing, especially the sandboxed testing environment. And then there's the backup and replication to basically built-in cloud providers. Dabbling doesn't do it justice.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why the surprise?

When you produce a great product, have great support, keep innovating with features customers WANT (providing real value) and don't screw your customers over it's no surprise they are so successful. What's more surprising is that other companies can't see why such a simple strategy is so effective.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wait till next quarter

Crashplan dropping support for Windows Server should also be helpful for Veeam.

7. J. Cook Silver badge
    Boffin

Not surprised here...

We've been a commvault shop for... a while (Since simpana 7 or 8, IIRC).

Veeam has been eating part of commvault's lunch for several reasons:

1) It does not require professional services or a huge amount of hand holding to install and configure. (Commvault is an extraordinarily complex 'do everything' product that works for a bunch of enterprises because they want a single system for holding backup data in a consistent manner; this comes at the expense of being ridiculously complex to setup and configure.)

2) It's straight-forward to understand how the data retention mechanism it uses operates. Commvault.... well, it's complicated, and commvault very much errs on the side of 'we are not sure, so we'll hang onto this backup called 'test' that you ran only once, regardless that you told me hold onto it for 1 week and that was 2 years ago and you never ran the job ever again and in fact the device that the job ran against is long gone.' (and then it complains about it if you manually delete the job or clear the media the job is stored on)

3) Veeam does not need a three or five day training session in order to use- you can be up and running quite fast with it. Plus, if your shop has high turnover for some reason, you won't be suffering from institutional loss of memory and have to pay for the same training over and over again as people cycle through ownership of the Backup Admin hat.

We came *very* close to jumping ship to Veeam this last year, due to a handful of communication snafus and mis-steps from the VAR that did our upgrade to v11. (and what should have been a 2 month start to finish project ended up taking the better part of 6 months...)

Just my $0.02 USD as a corporate end user.

1. Mark 110

Re: Not surprised here...

Thanks. You just answered a few of the questionss I came here to ask. My experience of backup tech/vendors is patchy at best.

Has anyone hadd bad eexperiences withh Veeam?

1. Morten

Veeam didn't support all our requirements, so it could not be used.

So kind of bad experience, but ymmv :)

1. @hansdeleenheer

I've never found a car that supported all my requirements. I've been quite happy with all the cars I have ever bought.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like