back to article Silicon Valley tech CEO admits beating software engineer wife, offered just 13 days in the clink

The CEO of a Silicon Valley startup captured on video beating his wife and threatening to kill her is, due to an offered plea deal, likely to spend less than 30 days behind bars to avoid being deported. His wife is furious about the arrangement, claiming that she had been cheated by the system and the charge of "offensive …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jail time should be 5 years

He will be right at home there.

This man is a danger to all women. Let the inmates treat him like he wants to treat women.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but the way he treated his wife is not the way so called civilised people behave.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Re: Jail time should be 5 years

leave the punishment to the judiciary

yes and look what they did - A sentence so disproportionate it made headlines.

1. Eddy Ito

If she has any sense she'll spend the next couple of weeks packing, moving out, filing for divorce, getting a restraining order, and buying a pistol; not necessarily in that order. It seems to me the evidence of abuse should easily give her sole custody of the kid and hopefully leave him without visitation rights.

1. Marty McFly Silver badge
            Terminator

Immigrant, no idea whether a legalized US citizen or resident alien - and therefore may not be able to buy a firearm. Either way, this is Kalifornia. Buying a pistol for personal protection is not allowed. Besides, buying a pistol without also getting some hands-on training is stupid. Forget about a concealed carry permit in this state too.

1. kain preacher

Really ? Please tell me when hand guns stopped being sold in California. The article implies he is a resident alien. A US citizen can not be deported.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

A US citizen can not be deported.

Unless they look Mexican and don't speak English too well.

It happens - 256 cases between 01/11 and 09/14.

2. AdamWill

"Immigrant, no idea whether a legalized US citizen or resident alien"

You could try reading the story. It says she's a citizen.

3. Agamemnon

Upvote because being from SiliValley, and a "gun enthusiast" (I'll shoot occasionally when the opportunity presents itself), every point you make is true.

Gods bless Kalifornia. I do so love it's quirkyness.

4. Eddy Ito

@Marty McFly

She is a naturalized citizen and should have little difficulty getting a firearm safety certificate after taking a basic NRA safety course or equivalent. They've never asked me here in SoCal what the purpose of the purchase was so I'm going to flag your statement "buying a pistol for personal protection is not allowed" as totally false especially since I was using "pistol" to mean "generic firearm" which could easily be a shotgun, featureless AR, revolver, etc. but more often than not folks go for a 9, .380, or .40.

It would also be fairly easy as part of the moving out step to move to a less restrictive state or county and get a concealed carry license as Kali law basically lets the county sheriff decide and some are pretty much "shall issue" (I understand Ventura [PDF] has recently adopted this policy at least until Peruta is finally sorted) as opposed to the "won't issue" of LA, Frisco, etc. Oddly Bernie's Vermont, one of the bluest of blue states has had constitutional concealed carry longer than all(?) the rest but that assumes she likes snow, maple syrup, and cows. Don't get me wrong, Vermont is a beautiful state if you can afford the taxes which are likely lower than Kalifornia and there's nothing wrong with snow, maple syrup, and cows.

2. tedleaf

Because when a justice system fails or looks so corrupt as to be usless,then one of the few things you can hope for is some "social justice" ..

Not only in America,this was exactly the result in an English court less than a month ago,but at least over here,overly light sentences can be appealed,(Asian cricket player forced.his wife to swallow drugs,bleach and hit her with a cricket bat,idiot judge let him off with a slapped wrist.

Once justice is seen to be a joke,that's how the population will treat it..

We have seen more and more cases in English courts of people buying ridiculously light sentences,so the only thing left is social justice..

1. Triggerfish

Because when a justice system fails or looks so corrupt as to be usless,then one of the few things you can hope for is some "social justice" ..

Social Justice aka Mob Rule.

Tell me are you allowed pitchforks and torches?

Are we allowed to attack pediatricians?

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Unhappy

"leave the punishment to the judiciary"

Actually the article said the actual Judge in the case was not even in the courtroom.

It was felt it could be done by their stand in, who clearly felt it needed an actual Judge to look at this.

It's pretty clear he's got a pretty good lawyer and a frankly nasty attitude to women.

Anyone else thinking he'd make a great Uber employee?

3. Cris E
          FAIL

Actually the prosecutor made a deal but the judge hasn't agreed to it yet. In fact the court stopped when it heard her statement and did not sentence him yet. Read the piece, it says the courts are working as they should, with various parties acting as checks on other roles.

Now if the deal stands, on the other hand, you will be correct in condemning the courts. We'll know on May 19.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Symon

"Shame on you. I don't for one second believe you are sorry that you hold such antediluvian views."

There's nothing antediluvian about corporal punishment no matter how many libtards cry crocodile tears about it. You people are the minority oddballs in thinking that every piece of scum who walks the earth should have the right to be treated with respect and that punishment should only be mental, not physical. I'd be quite happy to find out he'd been beaten to within an inch of his life in jail and if you don't like that snowflake then go cry into your hanky about it and write a strongly worded letter to The Guardian, but don't bother telling me, I'm not interested in your feminised morality.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @Symon

Ah, quoting someone else. The "I'm not smart enough to think up my own retort" retort. Never mind, keep trying, better luck next time eh? Chin up!

1. Afernie
              Facepalm

"Ah, quoting someone else. The "I'm not smart enough to think up my own retort" retort. Never mind, keep trying, better luck next time eh? Chin up!"

Said the man who learned his favourite insults from Breitbart and "Fight Club". Unless of course you invented those first resorts of the terminally unimaginative, "snowflake" and "libtard".

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"Said the man who learned his favourite insults from Breitbart and "Fight Club". Unless of course you invented those first resorts of the terminally unimaginative, "snowflake" and "libtard"."

Apparently you don't understand the difference between using a common word and quoting someone else's thoughts & ideas. Given how clueless and wet a lot of people on here seem to be doesn't that surprise me in the least.

1. Afernie

"Apparently you don't understand the difference between using a common word and quoting someone else's thoughts & ideas. Given how clueless and wet a lot of people on here seem to be doesn't that surprise me in the least."

Yes, common words in the context of only one group of people, specifically right-wing mouthbreathers. As such, when an individual uses them in any context, my respect for them drops to a level almost as low as my assessment of their intelligence.

2. Terrance Brennan

I agree one should try to use original statement; and, in small, simple words when dealing with someone as crude, poorly developed, and ignorant as your statement seems to indicate you to be. Such thuggish attitudes are the very thing civilization was organized to eliminate. Big ugly brutes doing whatever they wish, to whomever they wish, whenever they wish simply because of physical superiority. We used to live in a civilized society that used its laws to contain and, when necessary, punish such Neanderthals. You've been left behind in evolution and if you want to feel at home move someplace such as Russia where might is always right.

2. Triggerfish

It's not being a snowflake to realise one crime does not condone another as a punishment.

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster."

However ad hominem attacks when someone disagrees with you, well now thats pretty immature, acting like you are special. Is there a term people came up with for that?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"It's not being a snowflake to realise one crime does not condone another as a punishment."

Define crime. Perhaps you'd have been happy if we'd all laid down arms in WW2 and let the germans overrun europe? Wouldn't want to hurt anyone, right?

""Whoever fights monsters "....

Oooo, straight from the Big Bumper Book of Nietzsche Quotes, get you! Do you think it gives your point gravitas? Think again.

"However ad hominem attacks when someone disagrees with you, well now thats pretty immature, acting like you are special."

If the name is an accurate description its not ad hominem.

2. Triggerfish

Define crime. Perhaps you'd have been happy if we'd all laid down arms in WW2 and let the germans overrun europe? Wouldn't want to hurt anyone, right?

Seriously are you invoking Godwins law? Come on dude try harder than chucking up strawmen.

""Whoever fights monsters "....

Oooo, straight from the Big Bumper Book of Nietzsche Quotes, get you! Do you think it gives your point gravitas? Think again.

Bit more gravitas than that reply, and no I was inferring back to a philosophical idea that has been around for a while, the fact that you best argument against it is Ooooo is well I think you need to try harder, also irony.

"However ad hominem attacks when someone disagrees with you, well now thats pretty immature, acting like you are special."

I'd say something about holding a mirror up to oneself and the point I was trying to make but maybe that's a bit arty farty for you...

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"Seriously are you invoking Godwins law? Come on dude try harder than chucking up strawmen."

It was an accurate analogy "dude" (even using that lame hipster word instantly marks you as a try-hard moron to me). Apparently you didn't get the simple point that sometimes violence IS the only solution.

1. Triggerfish

Really? Describe to me the similarity beatween a man beating a woman and the invasion of Europe and holocaust? I'll worry about moronic language when you come out with something worthwhile answering.

I bet you can't because frankly every reply you have given has actually zero worthwile content to support your arguement, you are just flinging shit and hooting like a gibbon.

2. Terrance Brennan

Dear boltard, apparently you don't get the simple point that while violence may sometimes be the only solution when dealing with savages or aggressor nations, it is never the solution when dealing with criminal law. This is not a case of you coming across an assault in progress and having to use force to stop it; this would be a case of you being just as bad as the original perp and fulfilling your violent fantasies under a veneer of respectability and justice. Based on the level of intellect and emotional maturity evidenced in your screeds posted here that is probably the case.

3. Terrance Brennan

Don't mix international conflict with internal criminal behavior. So lynching is ok? Why bother with trials or courts? Who decides who deserves such punishment? Personally, I'd contribute to a kick starter campaign to test it out on you.

2. VanguardG

People who beat up those who are less capable of resisting (whether the beating by physical, emotional, or mental) are perhaps a half-rung above child molesters...both are indulgences of power over the weaker. Its reprehensible that the prosecution would have even floated this plea bargain. He probably will never even see the inside of an actual prison - where inmates who're already serving long sentences and have nothing to lose *might* beat him more senseless. He'll likely not even leave a processing facility - the equivalent of a city jail. Pathetic.

This guy should be paying with weekend, and evening, work for lots of years. Give him 4,000 hours of community service. Make him remember and regret his indulgence of strength while he's serving food to homeless people or cleaning parks...or whatever other tasks might be available. No....not jail..where the taxpayer provides his food and shelter - make him work for the community for a LONG time, for no recompense, after working at his company 8-5...6-10 and for 10 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday, he works for the community. 40 for him, for for everyone else. He'll be done in about 2 years, but he'll have spent those two years remembering...and the taxpayers don't have to keep the idiot fed and clothed, he still has to take of that for himself.

3. Cynic_999

"

There's nothing antediluvian about corporal punishment no matter how many libtards cry crocodile tears about it.

"

In which case why do you have a problem with how this man behaved? He was just administering a bit of corporal punishment to his wife, which you say is perfectly acceptable.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"In which case why do you have a problem with how this man behaved? He was just administering a bit of corporal punishment to his wife, "

So what he did to her was like for like was it?

2. SeanC4S

I'm a liberal. And actually a couple of months ago a Trump supporter wanted to clip me with a 9.

The unfortunate global reality though is very few people want to move everyone forward these days.

Why do you want lead in the water and lead in the air? What good will it do you?

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I'd be quite happy to find out he'd been beaten to within an inch of his life in jail and if you don't like that snowflake"

Aw, the poor little cupcake still thinks vigilantism is ok in a civilised world.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Aw, the poor little cupcake still thinks vigilantism is ok in a civilised world."

Your definition of civilised might not be the same as other peoples. Ditto your apparent understanding (or lack of) of the cupcake insult.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
              FAIL

"Ditto your apparent understanding (or lack of) of the cupcake insult."

There are 23 pages of definitions at Urban Dictionary. I'll leave to to you to tell us all which one I was using and which one you think is the "right" one, eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"There are 23 pages of definitions at Urban Dictionary. I'll leave to to you to tell us all which one I was using and which one you think is the "right" one, eh?"

Why, unable to defend your usage so have to handwave it away? Silly little boy.

2. Blackheart

Technically, isn't that how civilization actually started in the first place?

5. Dagg Silver badge
          Thumb Down

There's nothing antediluvian about corporal punishment no matter how many libtards cry crocodile tears about it.

Yes there is especially when there has been a miscarriage of justice and an innocent person is found guilty. Time inside can to a certain extent be compensated by money. But there is no compensation for murder by death penalty. Same for cutting off body parts.

How would you suggest compensating a innocent person who has "been beaten to within an inch of his life in jail" especially if that beating caused permanent damage / disability?

1. wayward4now
            Mushroom

"How would you suggest compensating a innocent person who has "been beaten to within an inch of his life in jail"

First off, no one lawfully sent to prison is innocent. Forget "victim stance" as any sort of argument.

Second, chances are very good that if you mind your own business in prison, you won't get beaten. Those who show disrespect however, can get the crap beaten out of them. I did five years myself, so I have a clue whereas you don't. I did see a couple of epic fights, which usually involved not paying a debt. Even the guards turned their backs while the debtor got the ass-beating of his life. But, I never saw anyone get a beat-down that they didn't deserve.

3. uncommon_sense

The author is known in here for being a %"#€&"#&&, and is not helping ElRag in its long spiral downwards!!

4. Andromeda451

When a guy gets 11 days for such a serious offence the judiciary has failed. Hence the frustration.

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

Deport the MFer

He's a waste of a man and waste of an H1-B visa.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It was an arranged marriage

That is the point where I stopped reading. Stone Age customs result in Neanderthal behaviour and should stay firmly in the caves along with the in-laws and parents which promote them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

arranged marriage

I'm still surprised clever, educated women with a good job still feel compelled to abide to such practices, because of their family and friends social pressure - and dangerous idiots like this guy take advantage of that.

Just, I'm quite sure such practices also exist in some part of the US - and thereby it's better to pretend they don't still exist...

1. Gordon Pryra

Re: arranged marriage

Nice bubble you live in where logic reigns supreme and people are not coerced by any means.

There are many factors that allow the control of one person by another person. And peoples parents have an amazing amount of power over them.

On a tangent but related, your entire political system is based on this idea, where the policy's have almost no bearing on the people being voted for and why

A good example is how the hell you got clever, educated people to vote for your current president over the other one in the election because the other one stood for capitalism....

(this taken from a Women on a sound byte talking about why she voted for Trump)

On the face of it she is talking drivel and seems brainwashed, but in reality she DOES seem to be able to tie her own shoelaces, so cant be THAT stupid. Something caused her to suspend her brain and accept this kind of nonsense.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

feel compelled to abide to such practices,

It's not that simple. I've got friends who are in such marriages, and are not unhappy with them. If you come from a culture where that is the norm, the western model of "date and hope" seems just as odd to them as parental assistance does to us. In many cases the partners do have a choice, they can look at the person selected by their parents and say 'no, thanks".

Some such marriages work, some fail, just as happens in the free-choice model. They are not, in themselves, a predictor of an abusive relationship.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

" In many cases the partners do have a choice"

many cases eh?

"Some such marriages work, some fail"

I would suggst one of the many cases where they didnt have a choice (read wanted to say no and couldnt) have already failed

3. Triggerfish

I'm still surprised clever, educated women with a good job still feel compelled to abide to such practices, because of their family and friends social pressure

You can apply the same sort of pressures to all sorts of things though, a lot of religions with practices such as shunning and such, you have things like the 'troubled teen' rehabilitation camps in America, Homosexuality being a choice you can pray away, liking a different foottball team....

We are sort of programmed to some degree to feel these pressures, it's what makes us a social animal.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Of course, there have been absolutely no recorded instances of domestic abuse in "love" marriages ever.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like