back to article OpenStack: Pleeeeease stop panicking, Intel and Rackspace still love us

Intel has walked out of a major OpenStack collaboration with Rackspace – but both companies and the OpenStack Foundation insist everything's fine. There's nothing to worry about. We're all good. Allegedly. It emerged just before the Easter weekend that Intel has turned off the money tap to the OpenStack Innovation Center (OSIC …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Cloud...

Other people's computers they get bored with and switch off

1. Dr Who

Re: The Cloud...

In this case, not necessarily.

OpenStack is designed to run public, private or hybrid virtualised server environments (aka clouds) so the computers may well be yours and may well be on your network.

A second point is that is that if I wanted to base some or even all of my infrastructure in the public cloud, I would much rather it was running in an open sourced virtualisation environment than a proprietary one, so the demise of OpenStack would be a significant loss to those who are serious about secure and reliable computing, and a significant gain to the proprietary vendors.

1. Field Commander A9

With OpenStack's shorter-than-my-penis feature list, nobody in their right minds would use it as the primary driving engine for private or hybrid clouds.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Dear Field Commander A9, most likely you've never seen OpenStack in action. So please stop writing this kind of nonsense.

2. Androgynous Cow Herd

Is intel in trouble?

They cancelled the Developers conference, now they have defunded this project. Have they moved into an austerity program? Waiting for the layoff notices next....

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Is intel in trouble?

Probably, some bean counter noticed that profits had raised by .00001% less than last quarter, and notified management by screaming:

"RED ALERT!! Hit the Big RED Austerity Button™ NAOOW!!"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are a lot more contributors to OpenStack than just Intel.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like