back to article Tantalising tidbits from XtremIO to be revealed at Vegas expo in May

XtremIO arrays have larger SSDs, better replication and copy data management support coming, according to the Dell World 2017 agenda for its Las Vegas appearance at The Venetian. Previous Dell World events have taken place in Austin, while EMC annual shows have been in Las Vegas. The combined Dell-EMC has outgrown Austin and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ZZZZzzzzz....

So add in features other arrays have had for 15 plus years and call it progress? This platform was dead until the reg article about its demise forced their hand. To avoid a PR nightmare with existing XtremeIO customers, this is the result. Partners were even told not to position it and to sell Unity and VMAX instead. Hell, XIO Doesn't even show up on their All-flash page: https://www.emc.com/en-us/storage/discover-flash-storage/index.htm .

Time will tell, but I don't see this being a competitive product against Netapp and Pure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ZZZZzzzzz....

Wrong.

You know nothing except to stoke FUD...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: ZZZZzzzzz....

Please elaborate...What specific updates is Dell bringing forward that put it over the top of its competition? I have the luxury of being hands on with a LOT of different platforms and have seen the technical details of the new offering. I'm not an AM throwing FUD nor do I work for a manufacturer.

Yes, it's fast, but so is every flash platform now.

2. RollTide14

Honestly they should focus less on features and more on reliability. At one point the platform had 3 9'sof availability and they threw themselves a party when it 4 9's

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

extra resiliency one hopes

given the number of high profile disasters that have plagued their customers and resulted in millions in lost revenue lets hope they figure out how to keep the thing from corrupting customer data and bringing entire companies down.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's awesome to see all the FUD here, I can understand it's coming from the competitive products but as a customer that is actually USING the product and have seen the upcoming product, i can say that I got very excited by it, it addresses all the missing points of the existing product and then some (they did something crazy about performance that decreased my latency by a factor of 5!)

We had a small issue with our cluster a year ago but that issue has long been resolved, in fact, I was shown the latest reliability numbers and they are over 99.999 so I'm not sure what the fuss is all about

And the best thing for me? I get a personal treatment from so many people at the dellemc XtremIO group, in a world dominated by the "United" culture, that's the most important thing for me

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dell-EMC Positioning

You Need XtremIO

Now you need All Flash VMAX

Now you need XtremIO again

It's a sequence...You can guess the next marketing message

1. John5471

Re: Dell-EMC Positioning

Dell EMC are fortunate enough to have a large portfolio that can be offered based on the time frame of the product, Extremio was a bit long in the tooth and hence, they had to perform a switcheroo to the VMAX, however, the VMAX product architecture is very old, it lacks many data efficiencies technologies including de-duplication and the only thing it brings is replication, if the Extremio product can bring replication and a more efficient cost per GG and based on this article, it will, there is no real need for a VMAX anymore, unless you need a mainframe support.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The problem on Dell / EMC positioning is not about which product is better, It about which product sales gets the best commissions on. 2013-2015 Sales were getting almost double commission to push XtremIO. 2016 that evaporated and was replaced by Unity and All Flash Vmax commissions.

They don't give a crap about if the product is a good fit or not, they just want to make the sale that gives them the highest commission. Depending on how the wind blows is what determines which product your Dell/EMC rep is going to push. They would hand you a live grenade if it was a high enough commission.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

your statement may is probably relevant for EVERY storage company which has more than one product in it's portfolio, for example, let's see what will happen with HPe now that it has Nimble and suddenly, 3PAR isn't the answer for every workload..never the less, if the new Xtremio product provides me all the capabilities I'm after, do i really care what will the sales duchbags offer me? i would run both products and judge for myself which product suit my needs, personally for me, i'm just lacking the ability to add drives instead of an entire xbrick and while replication with recoverpoint is what i'm using today, i'd love to have the array doing replication by itself, if these two features are there, i'm sold.

2. dpk

It's all about the highest commission ? What a ridiculous statement.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like