back to article Worry not, Python devs – you can program a quantum computer

Australia's Commonwealth Bank has bought a simulated quantum computer that you can program with Python. Yes, that Python – the scripting language created by Guido van Rossum, beloved of web developers and adapted into kiddie-coding tool Scratch. Python may appear an odd choice for a quantum computer, seeing as they're ever-so …

1. deanb01

Scratch?

Might be missing the point here, but isn't Scratch adapted from Smalltalk, not Python?

1. The Indomitable Gall

Re: Scratch?

It's adapted from both until you open the box.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Scratch?

It's basically Squeak (Smalltalk) done in Python.

I remember a keynote by one of the original Squeak developers (I think) given at Europython in Geneva saying that had Python been around at the time then he would have used that.

2. handleoclast
    WTF?

Schrodinger's bank account

You are both £250 in credit and £103 overdrawn simultaneously. You don't know which until you use a cash machine.

Ooops! Your bank account was quantum entangled with that of a Nigerian prince. He just collapsed your account's waveform by making a withdrawal from his account.

Quantum computing for bank acounts. SRSLY?

Oh, I just figured it out. The ramifications of hedge funds and dodgy mortgages are so incredibly difficult to figure out that only quantum computers can consider all the possibilities before the heat death of the universe. Only problem is, figuring out what's going to happen triggers a collapse of the entire economy.

Or maybe it's to figure out all of Trump's tax avoidance/evasion schemes.

Or maybe it's to figure out in what parallel universe this becomes a remotely sensible idea.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Schrodinger's bank account

Or maybe they just want to able to do encryption once the quantum cat is out of the proverbial bag/box

2. Gigabob

Re: Schrodinger's bank account

Quantum Computing is to secure your account - not create virtual proceeds of indeterminate value.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"... simulated quantum computer ..."

Hmm. Just how accurate is that? As I've yet to see a real, working quantum computer, how much of the simulation is based on, let's say "the scientific principles of star math and and wishy thinking"?

4. oswaldodantas

Interesting

I guess everyone would like to see some more details.

Myself being among other things a developer would be very interested in seeing some sample code.

Today there are already simulators (and even some prototype like actual hardware) that you can use directly or wrap in whatever language you would like but I argue that they focus so much in the low level simulation of quantum mechanics that is hard to see them picking up momentum to become a feasible alternative any time soon.

On the other hand I believe the quantum concepts are useful right now. Just as neural networks and genetic algorithms today are not expected to run in actual neurons or DNA strips, or even simulate them in the atomic level, the proper level of abstraction does make it really useful and straightforward, and will help the core concepts to become mainstream.

I have myself created a quantum inspired library (https://github.com/TheDockingSpace/InfinitU/blob/develop/quantum/README.md)

Still need to update the repository but let's say I can experiment with quantum genetic algorithms already.

How much is it? It is free open source. Just a small contribution to mankind, but it wouldn't hurt if someone would want to give me 5M also ;)

Hopefully the team involved in the bank project did a great job and earned that money, also contributing to the advancement of technology that will improve some aspect of everyone's life.

5. Alistair
    Windows

Um. Quantum computers, Python. Banking.

I don't think you want those quanta on any planes.

That line reads almost like Penrose wrote it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like