back to article Spanish cops snatch suspected top spammer as US moves against Kelihos botnet

Police in Barcelona have arrested a man suspected of being one of the web's top spammers and the possible operator of a major botnet. Pyotr Levashov, 36, was arrested on Friday by Spanish police in a joint operation with the FBI. The local authorities told the AP that the arrest was part of an investigation into the Kelihos …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

"the use of innovative legal and technical tactics." - so, completely illegal tactics then. But results are results !!

2. Potemkine Silver badge

Lock him down

throw the key and good riddance.

. It's not clear if this was down to the story being unsubstantiated

Since when it's a reason for RT to drop a story??

3. hopkinse
    Big Brother

Russian propaganda TV channel.....

Yeah and the BBC is a paragon of virtue and unbiased reporting!

1. DavCrav

Re: Russian propaganda TV channel.....

"Russian propaganda TV channel.....

Yeah and the BBC is a paragon of virtue and unbiased reporting!"

A is bad.

B is bad.

Therefore A and B are equally bad.

You can do better than this.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Russian propaganda TV channel.....

> Yeah and the BBC is a paragon of virtue and unbiased reporting!

Exactly. In every case their primary function is promoting their "values" and pushing their respective agendas, which is of course a valid and more or less useful endeavour, provided it is done within certain limits of respect for journalistic standards and respect of basic moral values.

Calling Russia Today a "propaganda" station is of course accurate, insofar as they aim to present a certain point of view to an international public (otherwise they wouldn't bother broadcasting in English, Spanish, etc.); but that is precisely what the BBC World Service also does (otherwise they wouldn't bother broadcasting in Russian, Spanish, etc.), yet because of in-group bias one does not tend to refer to the latter as a "propaganda" station.

Incidentally, where I had the opportunity of experiencing events first-hand, the BBC have shown themselves to be utterly unreliable--not because of any ideological bias (there is that too) but because of elementary factual errors, such as reporting an attack on the *wrong city*; shouting down *their own journalist* when he pointed out facts that did not fit with the line they wanted to push; ignoring actual industry experts in favour of media "experts" (media whores who are all too happy to spout sensationalist rubbish in front of camera, with little or no knowledge or experience to their credit); and of course running reports from their "partners" without even cursory checking: On this one I will give one specific example: the Madrid protests in front of the ruling Popular Party headquarters in 2004, when following a series of bombings on commuter trains, the government insisted on putting the blame on ETA, against all logic and against direct statements by both ETA and the Spanish police forces. Only TVE, the Spanish national broadcaster and the BBC were still parroting the government line that the Basques were responsible and keeping mum on the massive protests in the centre of Madrid. It's not like we didn't already have internet back then and anyone with a passing interest could not see exactly what was going on.

4. UncleNick

A botnet of 42,000 machines? Isn't that a bit small in this day and age...?

5. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

"As it is routine in these cases, we offer support to criminals," said embassy spokesman Vasily Nioradze.

FTFY

I shouldnt think helping a spammer will bother them much when they are prepared to offer military aid to chemical weapons using dictators

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
      Headmaster

I hate it when chemical weapons use dictators!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> "As it is routine in these cases, we offer support to criminals," said embassy spokesman

He didn't say that, of course, but yes, it is one of the functions of diplomatic missions to lend support to their own citizens abroad.

In other news: "LAWYER DEFENDS ALLEGED CRIMINAL!!!"

:-/

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...prepared to offer military aid to chemical weapons using dictators"

Do you mean the USA assisting Erdogan? I was just thinking back to May 2013, when Turkish police seized 2.2 Kg of sarin gas that was being smuggled from Turkey to Syria. Turkish intelligence agents attempted to intervene and the journalists who reported the events were arrested.

6. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

"LAWYER DEFENDS ALLEGED CRIMINAL!!!"

yeah i have a bit of a problem with that actually. I realise its gotta be done but do they have to be so respected and well paid?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like