back to article Device spend will rise 2% to $600bn in 2017, say techno-seers

Techno-seers Gartner have once again peered into the cosmic spreadsheet and found that global device spend will increase by 2 per cent this year to $600bn (£480bn) in its latest tech spend divination ritual. The total number of devices shipped in 2017 is expected to reach 2.3 billion, a slight increase on the previous year. …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Inflation busting price rises will cause it, not more units sold.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

I don't agree.

I think the problem is down to cost, and value. If the value the device delivers to the customer exceeds the financial cost of the device then people will buy it.

What we are seeing is that smartphones and many other things people are spending all of their money on don't actually really deliver value equivalent to the purchase cost for many people, especially when upgrading from a previous version of that device. The value delivered in many cases is "LOOK AT MAH COOL FASHEONABLE SHINEY TOYZ!1!!" and this is increasingly been seen as insufficient reason to buy a new device that's effectively identical to the old one, even by the fashion crowd as the phone contracts they are on to get the phone are shorter than the refresh period of the device.

2. tiggity Silver badge

spec rise

On mobile devices, big drive to "increase" specs (e.g. personally I don't want features such as an easily duped fingerprint reader but they are (nearly) everywhere now, adding a scintilla of cost, nor do I want a stupidly high pixel count screen that on a phone is of little benefit and uses more battery power), low spec cheap & cheerful smartphone models harder to find & the overall spec increase is meaning price increase as cost of extra bits added typically negating any benefit in fall in prices of components.

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Ah yes - Gartner

The people who predicted that Windows Mobile would hit a market penetration of ~25%.

With a track record like that, they *must* be value for money!

1. tony2heads

Re: Ah yes - Gartner

Gartner forecasts are less reliable than Old Moore's Almanac

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Ah yes - Gartner

The problem is the agency principle: they're either touting for business or openly producing reports for their customers.

Anyway 2% is neither here nor there; whether Apple has a good year or a bad year moves the dial more than that. This is just a frantic grab to suggest that this year, finally, the PC market will either come out of terminal decline or people will start spending more on alternatives. They know it won't, because even they do spout shite, they also have people talking to the factories in Shenzhen and elsewhere, so they're just hedging their bets.

So, do you your duty and order that Apple Watch you've been putting off till now! ;-)

4. BebopWeBop
    Trollface

Andyou have to print them out in order to get the benefits (collateral) of the almanac out in the small and very private room down at the bottom of the garden.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like