back to article Free Range Routing project takes aim at Cisco with server-as-router project

A group of open networking companies have dispatched a fleet of X-Wing fighters in the direction of the biggest target in networking: Cisco. Under the auspices of the Linux Foundation, Cumulus Networks, Orange, 6WIND, Architecture Technology, LabN Consulting, NetDEF (OpenSourceRouting), and Volta Networks have launched the …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Did they fix the threading and the timers?

Quagga uses DIY threading and a DIY timers implementation. Without fixing that we are not going anywhere.

2. it_wasnt_me

Vyatta?

Sounds like they're doing what Vyatta (now part of Brocade) did some while back unless I'm missing something?

3. xinglongcui

HW acceleration?

i am wondering that, is there any hardware acceleration? Since cpu can handle 1M~ routes, how to forward packets in line-rate?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: HW acceleration?

Well I was thinking more along the lines: this is a VM hence we have all the overheads associated with transferring stuff between VM's and thus buffers/memory regions being moved between protection zones.

I would have thought that the natural place for performant SDN and thus FRR would be in the hypervisor's networking layer.

4. Swarthy

Possibly silly question

Is this software that can be put on the host OS of a machine running multiple VMs so that you can designate the Host as the default gateway on each VM?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like