back to article First EU-US Privacy Shield annual review to take place in September

The inaugural annual review into the operation of the EU-US Privacy Shield is to take place in September this year. EU justice commissioner Věra Jourová confirmed the timing of the review in a speech in Washington late last week. "[The review] will be an important milestone where we need to check that everything is in place …

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Facepalm

As Chekov would have put it...

"complete shield failure Kiptin".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Privacy Shield...

More like a privacy fig-leaf...

It's all just political posturing... replacing one broken system with another...

3. Mephistro

"...check that everything is in place and working well."

Short answer: NO, IT ISN'T!

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge
      Mushroom

Re: "...check that everything is in place and working well."

Ah but it is, it's working just exactly as it was intended to work: ie to allow US interests to continue business as usual, allow US TLAs to carry on mining the data, and to allow EU officials to pretend it's all OK.

So yes, it's all working perfectly so far.

Icon says what I think should happen to the agreement when it gets reviewed.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"we need the active engagement and contribution of all interested parties to the review"

... preferably in the ECJ.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

"EU justice commissioner Věra Jourová"

So will that be done by the Justice side of the EU or the Data Protection side of the EU, or both?

No I don't think the US idea of "data protection" is anything like that in Europe, but then they've not lived through several regimes which were active police states and the citizens knew it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "EU justice commissioner Věra Jourová"

they've not lived through several regimes which were active police states and the citizens knew it

Judging by the activities of the current administration, that lack of experience is in the process of being addressed and I am thus wondering exactly what threats will be used to keep Privacy Shield intact.

I have no doubt it will be renewed, though - not renewing would harm billions worth of income for the likes of Google and Facebook, and hell hath no fury like a US company kept from its God given right to extract profit from foreigners.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: "EU justice commissioner Věra Jourová"

"I have no doubt it will be renewed"

And I have no doubt about its following Safe Harbor once it hits the ECJ and for the same reason. Google, Facebook & the rest will eventually realise that they'll have to follow an arms-length model such as Microsoft are adopting in Germany.

The only question is how long do we have to go round this loop before that realisation dawns? Maybe GDPR-scale fines will hasten that along.

6. EnviableOne

Privacy shield is named using the recent American parlance of take what its about and reverse it

Patriot act = Antiterrorism act

Privacy Shield = Intelligence agency free for all

7. Moog42

Short meeting. Don't bother with biscuits.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon