back to article Oracle uses own public cloud as back-end storage shed for ZFS boxen

Oracle is using its in-house public cloud to provide back-end storage for its on-premises ZFS appliances, adding functionality to its walled hybrid cloud garden. Sort of the opposite of bringing its Exadata cloud service on-premises, Oracle is taking its ZFS on-premises kit up into its public cloud. The latest ZFS Storage …

1. CAPS LOCK

I love ZFS, mind you that maybe because I get it with FreeBSD...

... for nothing.[1]

[1] Although I do contribute money to the FreeBSD foundation. So not a freeloader then. I also write docs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I love ZFS, mind you that maybe because I get it with FreeBSD...

Same here, and I would no touch anything that is owned by oracle, if possible.

Anon, as you never know WHO you might be working for.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

congrats

"Oracle's forceful approach to pricing"

Congratulations on finding a nice-ish way to put that.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would anyone trust Oracle

We all know that Oracle isn't really a software house. It's a marketing machine with a software house on the side. We all know which of the two always wins.......the marketing machine. Given their documented and constant attacks on customers (anything to get money), why does anyone trust Oracle anymore?

Whilst there may be a lot of Oracle out there and removing it may be impractical for companies, why oh why would anyone add to it. You just know it will eventually end up with Oracle visiting you, demanding some stupid amount of money, justified through a weird interpretation of an unintelligable and vague clause in their contract. Desperate not to go to court with Big Red, the company then does some sort of deal, normally, involving a ULA, that then locks them into Oracle forever. Why do companies do this all the time?

Then, Oracle launches cloud services and people actually use them!! Given their history on software installed in your own datacentre, why on earth would you think their cloud services will result in anything but higher bills in the future? Also, having met many an Oracle 'consultant', I only hope they've got nothing to do with running the cloud services. I've dealt with Oracle constantly over the years and they've never failed to disappoint me with their technical knowledge and inability to do anything but oversell their products with wild statements of ability (including cloud services) that never materialise.

Why, of why, do people still buy Oracle? By all means keep running it, as the cost of changing might be too high, but why put more money into their pockets?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like