back to article Ford slurps 400 BlackBerry devs in smart car software push

Multinational car company Ford has hired 400 developers from BlackBerry for its connected cars, shortly after announcing the building of its own data centre. The Ottawa Sun newspaper reported that a previously announced “agreement” actually amounted to a transfer of 400 heads between companies. Last month, Ford announced it …

1. ashdav

How Many?

400 developers ? All new to the job ?

What could possibly go wrong.

1. Dwarf

Re: How Many?

What could possibly go wrong.

How about these for starters

• Blackberry - with their market leading thinking
      • A mini qwerty keyboard and a car
      • A dated operating system
      • Ford

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"What could possibly go wrong."

This: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Sync

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

> A dated operating system

Or, to put it another way, a well-tested operating system (real-time, used in industrial control since the 1980s.)

Don't approach this topic from a phone direction. There are millions of vehicles already on the road using QNX for telemetry or infotainment. Just think of Blackberry as a single stop for Ford to pick up some engineers with recent QNX experience.

1. Dwarf

@Dave 126

OK, I'll give you that one. A well tested and stable OS wins over things like Windows 10 that don't get properly tested.

Whats your view on how stable the application produced by 400 new developers will be :-)

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

> Whats your view on how stable the application produced by 400 new developers will be :-)

I'm not in HR, but I don't suppose it can hurt than they will have worked together before! But really, I have no idea.

An interesting blog that gives a much wider context is hosted by a company that supplies wiring looms to the automotive industry. They have an idea of what they are being asked to make, and attempt to forecast what they will be supplying in the future. Not only are cars coming with more sensors (proximity sensors, rear-view cameras), but a greater range of voltages is present (hybrids, electric cars):

https://blogs.mentor.com/mentorautomotive/blog/2016/08/25/the-link-or-not-between-adas-and-autonomous/#more-168

2. bazza Silver badge

Or to put it yet another way, it's a mature and useful POSIX OS that doesn't come encumbered with the GPL, so there's no copy left issues. If part of the car manufacturers business model is to include partial lock down of the infotainment system, the proprietary natural of the OS could be a consideration too.

3. Like Magic

Dated???? I think more homework is needed, extra study after school.

Still current working world wide in many factories and imbedded in huge number of devices and machines.

Old but not dated, The systems I have been involved in are fast, secure, reliable and communicate with modern standards.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

They're not new to the job if they came from Blackberry which supplies QNX in-car systems.

Or supplied... what have Blackberry got left?

3. James 51

My reading of the article is that 400 experience developers are moving company but not necessarly job.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comes with any onboard computer you want...

As long as it's Black...berry.

3. Ralph B

Is it possible?

Is it possible that someone in Ford's HR department misunderstood what mobile application development means?

4. Captain Scarlet
    Stop

Ford Sync 2

Ford ffs at least support Sync 2 users with the MS variant. Although most issues are related to voice control, me shouting at it expecting it to then work probably people in the car next to me thinking I'm having a breakdown after I throw a wobbly shouting "No that's not who I wanted to dial". The having to confirm everything setting does help me shout less at it.

1. Sporkinum

Re: Ford Sync 2

Yeah, I have Sync 2 in my 2014 C-Max Energi. It's not bad, but the voice recognition sucks, the maps are proprietary and locked, and the phone integration is pretty limited as in all I can do is play music from the phone and make calls. Supposedly it's a bit better with iPhones as it supports Car Play. The latest version of Sync 3, which is on 2016s and newer does Android Auto as well as Car Play.

As an example with voice dialing, my wife's name is Lene', pronounced Linae. I have to say call Lean to get it to dial.

2. 64K RAM
      Holmes

Re: Ford Sync 2

I have no idea why you would have problems with voice recognition software...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Commentards have such poor memory

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/17/blackberry_sued_over_jobtransfer_shenanigans/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon