back to article Apple Store in Pennsylvania hit with discrimination complaint

A former Apple Store employee has accused the Cupertino giant's retail arm of racial and religious discrimination. Cori Fisher, who worked at a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Apple Store from 2010-2016, said he witnessed management at the Center City Apple Store asking security to remove a group of African-American teenagers from …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Better diversity

but not with customers :-)

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Better diversity

Well, apparently they were "guests", so that implies they were invited in, not just some random people wandering in for a bit of browsing. Not sure if that was the authors choice of word or Apples.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Meh

Re: Better diversity

the term 'guest' is often used in the hotel industry, as an example. it's a way of emphasizing that you'd treat a customer the way you'd treat a guest in your home, assuming you're gracious and a decent host.

I suspect Apple is innocent here. If any actual discrimination against customers were happening, you'd think a company like Apple would be on it like hyenas. Or vultures. Same idea.

I suspect the claim is being tried in the public because it has no real evidence behind it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's your problem...

"as a Seventh Day Adventist"

I was doing an interview for a hospital IT job for these pious assholes, and they said they would only consider me if I cut my hair. This is yet another cult of fucknuts, pretending to offer salvation, for a buck. Seventh Day Assholes, is what they should change their name to. :P

All religions suck. This guy smells like a litigious troublemaker, and a zealot, when the situation suits him and he smells some extra pay on top of his $10/hr jobby-job.

1. Geoffrey W

Re: There's your problem...

I had a girl friend for a while who was a Seventh Day Adventist, or brought up that way as a child and still called herself as such, and she had no problem with a pagan/heathen/hippy/agnostic/atheist like me and rather liked my long girly hair. In fact she was a lovely woman and far better than I deserved, and in no way an asshole. Assholes come in all flavours including non religious types, and not all religious types are assholes. Some commentards are assholes too.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Well in my experience then, she's the rare exception.

Had one spit on my motorcycle for being a thing of the devil. That's the usual sort you encounter.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yamaha?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Don't know about 7th Day Adventists, but Jehovah's Witnesses like Suzuki 350s.

2. Geoffrey W

Let me boil it down to its essence: Assholes are Assholes.

All other factors are purely coincidental and merely provide excuses for being an asshole should the Asshole feel they need them, though Assholes seldom do. They just are. Just being an asshole is generally good enough for an asshole.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Regardless of what your opinion is, we all need an asshole.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I've never had any problem with Jehovah's Witness I just tell them I didn't see the accident.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

At least they weren't a Jehovah's Witness. That religion is completely incompatible with the medical profession as the religion forbids Blood Transfusions of any sort.

Or there are the "Christian Scientists" that believe that people only become sick because they aren't praying to god hard enough. They reject medicine in all its forms because they believe it to be an attempt to thwart god's will.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

"people only become sick because they aren't praying to god hard enough"

My mother believed in G^HCod too.

If I have anything wrong with me then is was G^HCod liver oil before bedtime.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

yeah, religion doesn't require proof (therefore it's religion). but I doubt the complainant's religion had ANYTHING to do with how Apple treated him, except 'religious discrimination' claims. Perhaps I should take up daily meditation on my navel and claim my religion requires me to do this 5 minutes out of every hour, and when it disrupts the work day and I'm fired, sue and claim that my religion is being "discriminated"...

(or join a religion that legitimately uses drugs, and come to work stoned all the time - same idea)

nearly all of the religious people I know are decent human beings that don't act like ass-hats.

I've never known an 'Adventist'. I think they go to church on saturdays. I don't know of anything else they do that's particularly weird, although David Koresh was an Adventist of sorts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_Davidian

3. tom dial Silver badge

I am no fan of Apple, but:

After reading the complaint, I conclude that Cori Fisher appears to be a (former) problem employee attempting a shakedown.

He claims religious discrimination, but makes no claim that Apple discriminated in fact.

He alleges discrimination in the form of failure to accommodate his "disability," which apparently consists of substantial actual or possible limitation "in the major bodily functions of normal cell growth" resulting from (or constituting) cancer and dismissal partly based on his exercise of rights under the Americans for Disability act. This despite having received months of leave as either Apple provided sick leave or medical leave under the Family Medical Leave Act, some of which would have been paid.

He also claims his dismissal was partly retaliation for complaining that the store where he was employed exercised, and directed employees to exercise, discrimination against black shoppers, attaching to his prayer as evidence for a right to sue for relief a statement from the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission indicating that the "EEOC is unable to conclude that the information obtained establishes violations of the statutes."

I can imagine employees in Apple's legal department (a) arguing to pay him off as a nuisance, or (b) arguing to fight it to prevent establishing a precedent for similar future shakedowns. On balance, I suspect that they will opt for (b) unless Fisher will settle for back wages and no legal costs; in that case I also can imagine them competing to participate in the trial.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I note that he does not say what the group of black teens were doing when the management told security to remove them.

This is a rather significant omission and seems to be there only to try and help his shakedown of the company. I wonder if management has done the same with white teens, but mentioning that wouldn't help his case at all.

He appears to be a person that thinks he is 'entitled' but to exactly what it is uncertain.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Technically, that wouldn't matter. They could have stole every item in the shop.

You can't then ban ALL black teens from the store because of that. You can increase security. You can insist no more than X amount of people (of any colour) in the shop at any one time. You can do lots of things.

If you want to know if something is racist, replace the race with any other attribute.

"A group of vegetarians were removed from the store. Henceforth, we were ordered to not let any other vegetarians into the store from that point onwards."

If it sounds stupid when you do that, it's probably racist.

1. Phil.T.Tipp

Rubbish. Probable cause - it's why the police target the groups they know are involved in whichever crime/disturbance/violence whatever. Occam's Razor. It's very, very rarely incorrect, especially in relation to street and petty crime.

The cold hard facts of reality are cold, hard, facts. Black teenagers steal electronics goods from shops - they must be watched closely when present in groups. This is common sense backed up by cold, hard, fact.

I'd go as far as to bet you actively avoid groups of black teenagers (you're clearly a white SJW) for the very same reasons.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I believe white people also steal things, white teens in fact. They probably get away with it more as security are watching the black kids.

FFS surely we want evidence of what was said/done everyone here seems to be intimately aware of what happened based on what? The person was religious, had cancer, didn't like what he thought had happened?

I despair of el reg commentators sometimes.

Anonymous as you lot can obviously read my mind and know what i "really mean"

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        FAIL

"If it sounds stupid when you do that, it's probably racist."

your definition for racism appears to have a broad scope. no WONDER so many people are tired of claims like THIS one. SJW indeed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What A Cluster Jam

Honestly I live in the area, and I have been to this Apple store many a time. It's pretty likely that they were outright discriminating against black people. I know how that sounds but bear with me.

In Philadelphia there is an extremely sharp contrast between income levels, and it is all based on ethnicity. inside the city you don't see any wealthy black people really, they all move to the suburbs. However rich white kids from the suburbs move to the city. Therefore, i have seen some really rough behavior. Black men in Philadelphia get regularly profiled as such. Which unsurprisingly after a while makes them angry with the city. I cant tell you how many times i was in a store, and a black person began an argument with an employee over a perceived slight. Anger breeds anger, and this is a very common occurrence. Long story short most stores in Philadelphia instruct their employees to watch black people. Especially Asian owned stores, which are the ones that primarily serve black under resourced communities.

There's a lot of anger here. It's similar to India/Pakistan. There are ethnic minorities here battling each other. Poles against Irish and Greeks. Russians against Ukrainians. Blacks against everyone. Asians against black people. But its all started by a near concerted effort by a silent (not at all silent) white non-first generation immigrant majority. Just Wikipedia Mayor Rizzo and read from there.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quite frankly

after seeing the utter carnage these rampaging "groups" of, colloquially called "teens" cause, I'd be wary too. I don't see any complaints about the local newsagent having a "only two school children at a time"" sign.

No, we have a litigious complainant throwing in the racist card because that's his best bet of a pay out.

1. Kernel

Re: Quite frankly

'I don't see any complaints about the local newsagent having a "only two school children at a time"" sign.'

Just a guess on my part, but that might be because the sign doesn't discriminate against any particular flavour of school children - if it said only two blue school children at a time while allowing non-blue school children without restriction then you might well find there would be complaints, and quite rightly so.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Re: Quite frankly

"Just a guess on my part, but that might be because the sign doesn't discriminate against any particular flavour of school children - if it said only two blue school children at a time while allowing non-blue school children without restriction then you might well find there would be complaints, and quite rightly so."

On the other hand, if the store removed a group of kids for behaving badly, and if they indeed behaved badly, then it is not discrimination just because these kids on that occasion were black. There is no indication here that skin colour had anything to do with the event.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

How about admitting children by which school uniform they wear.

Yes or no?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-38065679

Tesco national supermarket chain, in Edinburgh, 2016 - allegedly.

This is about expensive school vs. free-entry school. It could also apply to religious schools. In Scotland, most schools with "Saint" in the name are Roman Catholic, except probably for place names like St Andrews - I could check.

6. Snipp

Here's the thing about Pennsylvania...

I live in the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, but don't let our liberal veneer, East Coast adjacency and Democratic Governor fool you.

We voted Trump. It's Mississippi and Alabama in the rural areas. Unfortunately, their bile infects the urban areas also.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Revenge

So you're a pain in the ass and seeking revenge because you got fired because of being a pain in the ass. What is the history of the store and blacks? Consistent issues? Gotta be a reason if true! God forbid we deny something of doing something if they are harassing customers, etc. America is so screwed up in society and not sure who is to blame? The left, judges, lawyers? Politically correct shit has to stop!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I make it a practice not to believe anything I'm told by someone who lies for a living unless provided with confirmation from a credible, unbiased, disinterested third party.

That makes it awfully hard to have an opinion on something a lawyer claims when filing case.

I will say this about the Seventh Day Adventist in the case: the fact that he has a lawyer shows he's running around with a bad crowd.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Complaint -- Meaningless

Anyone can file a civil complaint against anyone for anything.

10. The Nazz

Time or generational limit?

Something i ponder every time i read a story like this.

Is there not a time limit or number of generations passing before one stops being an AFRICAN-American?

I dare say most have never been there and some may not even know where it is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Time or generational limit?

Or why colored people is unacceptable but people of color is OK. And whoever came up with that pretentious sounding term anyway? My guess is a real estate developer.

11. JJKing
    Thumb Down

Aren't we oh so judgmental.

So you're a pain in the ass and seeking revenge because you got fired because of being a pain in the ass.

If he was such a "pain in the arse" how did he manage to keep the job for six years?

It's great the way people can read a short article about some issue and immediately become intimately aware of all the fact pertaining to the story behind said article.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Re: Aren't we oh so judgmental.

"If he was such a "pain in the arse" how did he manage to keep the job for six years?"

Your time at the company depends directly on your level of "pain in the arse"ness. Apparently he was at the exact level that lasts six years but not longer. For example, the level of annoyedness of your colleagues about having to work on Sundays when one arsehole claims they can't for religious reasons will be growing over time. Goodwill gets eaten up. And some day you are gone.

1. TheMole

"For example, the level of annoyedness of your colleagues about having to work on Sundays when one arsehole claims they can't for religious reasons will be growing over time."

Seventh Day adventists celebrate the Sabbath on Saturday I believe.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"If he was such a "pain in the arse" how did he manage to keep the job for six years?"

Because he played the racist card.

MONEY on it....

12. Hugh_Johnson
    Trollface

Ever been to 'Philly?

...yeesh.

13. frankzentura

I'm just curious... Is the ex-employee black or minority?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like