back to article SimpliVity customers spurned by HPE welcomed into loving arms of Nutanix

Nutanix wants SimpliVity customers upset by HPE's purchase to move across to them instead. Chief marketing officer Howard Ting said HPE, having bought SimpliVity, was discontinuing SimpliVity sales on non-HPE hardware, leaving SimpliVity customers possibly needing to switch hardware. "It looks like a dead end for Cisco and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Howard Ting, never missing an opportunity to be a @ss hat...

Howard Ting, never missing an opportunity to be a @ss hat...

Let's not forget Howard's misogynistic videos when trying to take shots at the old VCE and then apologizing "to those offended" without actually acknowledging they were offensive.

http://www.crn.com/news/data-center/300073043/converged-infrastructure-startup-nutanix-pulls-vce-bashing-videos-amid-claims-of-sexism.htm

So yeah, SimpliVity customers, feel free to jump on board that train.

1. Pancakes

Re: Howard Ting, never missing an opportunity to be a @ss hat...

Thanks for digging up corpses. Anything more useful to add?

What's wrong with offering a trade in program? I know a former SVT customer or two I might get interested into starting up their failed projects again this way.

Better to have them jump on the Nutanix train then to stay on the HPE Failboat...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think he just acknowledged that it takes two Nutanix nodes to run what a single SimpliVity node can run. I guess it's true, Nutanix doesn't scale as well as SimpliVity.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's customary, when luring customers from a competitor, to offer them more than they already paid for as there is a cost of them having to migrate from the inferior platform to which they already paid money. So, your comment is weak, at best.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

aaaaaaand it looks like Nutanix stock is tanking today

Nutanix shares sink as lockup expires

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nutanix-shares-sink-as-lockup-expires-2017-03-29

1. Ken-in-Houston

Re: aaaaaaand it looks like Nutanix stock is tanking today

Well you can't blame employees for wanting to make some money. I may go buy some stock!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Absolutely, cash off the sinking ship while it's still above water!

2. Pancakes

Business as usual for every public company after their IPO lock up expires. Finally Nutanix staff got an opportunity to cash in some options on their hard work at a startup.

Now exactly what were you trying to say?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free or valueless??

So you would pull out a perfectly functional solution running on Cisco, Dell or Lenovo all while HPE announces that they will continue to support them for the timeline of the standard Simplivity EOS agreement - which is 48 months. Oh and they have not made that EOS announcement yet so call it 50 months.

I note that the statement is for 2:1 on LICENSES - which Nutanix give away at 75% discount most of the time. So the real value is not very much....

Never trust someone trying to give away their product

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simplivity and HP (support for non HP)

If I am a Simplivity customer on anything but HP, I don't care what Simplivity/HP marketing says, I'm concerned. The industry track record of support for someone else's crapola now owned by another company's crapola is not good. And it's not like Lenovo or Cisco or Dell are going to embrace HP-owned software (that drags a lot of hardware with it). The whole thing is a shit show! I expect a lot of Simplivity customers to be calling up Nutanix, or Dell/Technologies, or Cisco to swap out their goods.

When the next HCIA revenue rankings come out; I expect Simplivity to fall from 2nd to 5th - behind Nutanix, VxRail/Rack, HyperFlex, and VSAN. Getting out sooner than later is a good thing....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like