back to article Avaya's $3.7m bankruptcy bonus plan slammed by watchdog

The US federal bankruptcy watchdog has slammed telco Avaya for its decision to award 11 execs $3.7m (£3m) in bonuses after the company filed for bankruptcy protection earlier this year. The US Trustee told a New York bankruptcy court that under the Bankruptcy Code, bonus payments to insiders of the type sought "are subject to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bonii!!

You've got to pick a pocket or twwoooooo!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bbbbutttt... Execs always get a bonus? Don't they? What do you mean no bonus for the people with C-word in their title?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

when the tide ebbs

We must incentivize the execs lest they abandon the ship in its greatest hour of need.

And when the tide floods it is only fair that we help them celebrate how well the ship floats.

And in between times it's imperative that we reward their presence, lest they be captured by another firm

You can tell that these execs are not cut from the same cloth as you or me, for it's common knowledge that we're motivated more by the challenge than by material rewards...

4. Duffaboy
    Trollface

Rewarding Failure

Need I say more

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Rewarding Failure

And these will be the VERY same people that tell everyone they need to work harder and can't give you a raise this year because of some trivial infraction of your daily duties.

Funny how the 21st century looks a lot like the 19th century.

You'd almost think they'd never heard of Marie Antoinette.

5. Chunes

Innovate, Anyone?

I guess they didn't disrupt the industry enough.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Silver Lake Partners are insolvent? Hmmm, no?

This appears to be all part of a financial game played by Silver Lake.

Silver Lake set up a LBO to take Avaya private, then loaded it up with debt. They put in a management team to extract all of the value. The management left an debt-laden empty husk of a company they could put into bankruptcy for the tax credits.

The management was working on Silver Lake's financial scheme, not on making Avaya a successful company.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Silver Lake Partners are insolvent? Hmmm, no?

Sliver Lake Partners - weren't they the one's Micheal Dell joined up with to take Dell private...

And then used to help him takeover EMC to create Dell-EMC, now dubbed Dell Technologies, which according to Fortune magazine:

And thanks to Dell’s financial engineering, it has a Texas-size pile of debt stuffed into its saddlebags.

[http://fortune.com/dell-emc-merger-tech-biggest-deal/ ]

I wonder when Dell Technologies will enter Chapter 11...

2. Jay 2

Re: Silver Lake Partners are insolvent? Hmmm, no?

Having previously been on the receiving end of Silver Lake's ownership it wouldn't surprise me. Fortunately in my case all they did post-purchase was cut costs to the bone, invest sod all and then flog for a very nice profit. So when the placed CEO said something along the lines of "I'm investing my children's future", then I'm sure his kids ended up being well-funded at a suitably expensive US university.

7. Mystic Megabyte
    Mushroom

Trump just tried to get a $300 billion backhander from the Germans. He's just envious of Putin's estimated $200 billion. It will all end badly, not bigly.

We need a "We're doomed!" icon :(

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice work if you can get it

A poster child for how capitalism works for the Elite 'in-club' at the very top...

9. Crazy Operations Guy

Hope they at least fired their CFO

$6.3 billion in debt is 150% of their revenue... The point of having a CFO is to prevent the company from doing some egregiously irresponsible with the company's money. So either the CFO dropped the ball by hiring morons that couldn't predict the sunrise, let alone a financial statement, or they hired untrustworthy people that falsified the data.

At the very least, the CFO should have nixed the deal that lead to that $8.2 billion loss...

1. Duffaboy

Re: Hope they at least fired their CFO

Jobs for the boys, it is plain and simple employing your friends/golf buddies is doomed to failure

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like