back to article Amazon dodges $1.5bn US tax bill: It's OK to run sales through Europe out of IRS reach – court

Champagne corks will be popping in Seattle after US taxmen lost their case against American web giant Amazon over the non-payment of taxes on overseas earnings. On Thursday, the US Tax Court ruled [PDF] in favor of Amazon, saying it was legal for the internet souk to channel its European sales through a low-tax Luxembourg …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The reason for Blue Origin ?

In space nobody can hear your tax demands

If Amazon's HQ was in orbit presumably they wouldn't have to pay tax to anyone

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: The reason for Blue Origin ?

Either that or "such a nice tax office you have down there, pity if something happens to it if someone's rubbish fails to reenter the atmosphere correctly"

2. Brenda McViking

US tax liability

This sounds entirely sensible. Amazon Europe sell to customers in Europe, have warehouses in Europe and operate in Europe. The EU has decided on a unified tax structure that means you pay tax in just one EU country. Why should they pay US tax on that? Why would you even remotely consider that they'd have to pay US taxes on that?

I currently reside and work in India, and guess where I pay my taxes? India. I may have British citizenship, and the umbrella company that holds the indian subsiduary I work for may be listed on the main UK stock exchange, but I most certainly don't pay UK tax because none of my economic activity happens there - as it should be.

I still have to sign declarations every time I open a bank account saying I owe the US nothing and the US has no claim on anything of mine, despite having nothing whatsoever to do with them, I have never worked there, never been a resident there, and have no citizenship - indeed the same status I have with the ~200 other countries in the world, yet none of the rest of them have the arrogance to require that I declare this negative fact. I don't know why we, speaking as non-citizens of the US, put up with it at all.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: US tax liability

I don't know why we, speaking as non-citizens of the US, put up with it at all.

It used to be called gunboat diplomacy, it is now called aircraft carrier diplomacy.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why they should pay US tax on that

The US taxes its citizens on worldwide income. If I go to India and work there, I still must file a tax return and pay taxes in the US. Any taxes I paid in India are a credit against my US taxes, but if taxes in India were 20% and my US taxes were 30%, I'd pay 20% of my income to India and 10% of it to the US.

This is why you see US companies like Apple keeping massive piles of cash they earned overseas in accounts overseas. US companies operate under slightly different rules. They owe US taxes on worldwide income, and get credits for foreign taxes paid, just like individuals. However, the money isn't counted as income until it is brought into the US. So long as they leave it overseas, it isn't taxed by the US.

In this case the IRS is saying Amazon is padding their US expenses by having the US company sell services/IP to a non-US subsidiary, to allow them to effectively move profit from the US (where it would be taxed immediately) to outside the US (where it won't be taxed in the US) They can leave it overseas like many US multinationals do, until their corporate lobbyists have successfully bribed Congress to lower the corporate tax rate.

As for you having to sign those forms, sorry about that. We'll tell your government stuff like that is to help prevent terrorism to get them to go along with it, but it is really just because we're bullies and we can't help ourselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why they should pay US tax on that

"The US taxes its citizens on worldwide income. If I go to India and work there, I still must file a tax return and pay taxes in the US"

Its worse than that ... if you've been born in the US (my younger son was while I was working in California but we retruned to the UK when he was 6 months old) the you are a US citizen and at a minimum have to file US tax returns + run the danger that "de-risking" banks decided that having US cistizens as customers is too risky given the scale of penalties imposed for failing to comply with FACTA etc.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Why they should pay US tax on that

In this case the IRS is saying Amazon is padding their US expenses by having the US company sell services/IP to a non-US subsidiary

Interesting and creative use of expenses! I thought, from the article, that Amazon Europe was paying Amazon US for use of Amazon US services/IP, thus monies received would normally count as revenue.

3. VanguardG

Re: US tax liability

Brenda, I have no idea why the IRS acts the way it does toward you, when you are neither living nor working in the US...but trust me, count yourself lucky that all they make you do is tick a checkbox on a form.

The IRS is virtually ungoverned, in terms of being accountable to anyone. And they know it.

3. John Savard

Other countries?

Why should this ruling have any effect on other countries, since their laws about overseas income are presumably completely different, based on their own tax laws?

Of course, there are some international treaties surrounding this sort of thing, to encourage international trade, and that might mean this judgment has some relevance abroad.

1. Dave Bell

Re: Other countries?

I think most of the treaties are bi-lateral: the UK has its own tax treaty with the USA.

The way Amazon handles Kindle book publishing means I have to see my money go through the USA and the US tax system., which does make this subsidiary in Luxembourg feel a bit fake.

And I know the EU is getting a bit active about the tax deals, such as VAT rates, that Luxembourg did.

I don't just what all this adds up to, but there's far more questionable behaviour by these big American businesses with subsidiaries in the EU and large fees being paid for IP rights so as to avoid tax, if not outright evade it. It makes this report seem a little inadequate.

(Of course, if the EU is leaning on some countries about how they have set tax rules, it's easy to imagine a motive for some people's attitude to Brexit.)

4. James 51

Lets see Trump do a deal on this on.

5. MJI Silver badge

All in Europe

So sell in Europe and Tax in Europe, nothing to do with US taxes.

I cannot see anything wrong with that.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: All in Europe

I can see champagne corks flying in Brussels over this ruling - although the Irish government and Apple might see it differently...

6. Securitymoose

So the US taxpayer has to foot yet another bill.

It beggars belief that the IRS didn't think this through. Of course they don't care, it's the US citizen who is funding it all anyway. (And the IRS still owe me $30 in tax they charged me, despite the fact I live in another country.)

7. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

parts of its technology and the trademark

This sort of corporate Intellectual property scam needs to stop.

Obviously too, tax should be due where the company makes the sales. I object to the fact that I am in living in Europe, I have never lived in USA nor been a USA citizen (I have two Citizenships in Europe), yet I have have to fill in USA tax forms, not just for my sales in USA, but sales ANYWHERE, because three USA Companies are doing the selling, even though one has Luxembourg HQ! USA government arrogance!

One contra-intuitive solution is to abolish Corporation tax. Also abolish fines and lawsuits against corporations.

There is Company healthcare (National Insurance contributions in some countries). The employees are taxed. The consumers pay sales tax. So tax the shareholders, especially speculators and asset strippers.

Make executives and the board liable for the actions and profits of the company. This becomes obvious considering fines against councils, state owned companies etc. Ultimately taxpayers and/or customers pay the tax and fines etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: parts of its technology and the trademark

One contra-intuitive solution is to abolish Corporation tax. Also abolish fines and lawsuits against corporations.

A nice, and rather purist idea that I like. I fear there are three reasons that won't work:

1) Most shares are owned by other corporations, banks, insurers etc. Follow through to the beneficial human owners and the majority of personal ownership that you'd tax on would be the world's richest people. That will mean some huge swings in which countries get to keep the tax income, meaning a windfall for places like Switzerland and Bermuda, and loss of tax income for countries where the corporation tax arises now.

2) Even if you say "let the beneficial owner be taxed in the country of incorporation of the dividend payer" that wouldn't be feasible because of the complexity of international and inter-company shareholdings. If you own shares in Aviva here in the UK, they own direct and indirect shareholdings in every country in the world where assets can be formally traded. Consider how would the Bolivians get you to pay personal tax on your share of a dividend paid by a Bolivian mining JV, 50% owned by an Mexican mining company, where the Australian Macquarie group have a 5% stake in the Mexican company, and Aviva happen to have a 2% shareholding in Macquarie as part of a global portfolio allocation out of (making all this up) their Singapore office's emerging markets fund?

3) And the main thing: Governments will never let it happen. The rich and powerful, and fat cat corporations made up of the same people will never allow changes to a system so weak and easily gamed. Will Trump really go after tax dodging corporations, when he's running the White House with family members like the best third world despots, and his cabinet is dripping with billionaires? And sadly, he's the only person with the bloody minded drive to actually do anything - the EU and the remaining Anglophone world are timid and ineffectual when it comes to corporate tax reform.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Most shares are owned by other corporations, banks, insurers etc" - and among those, you'll find pension funds, holding shares and other assets to meet pension obligations to you and me.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Make executives and the board liable for the actions and profits of the company. This becomes obvious considering fines against councils, state owned companies etc."

Well, you could start by fixing that - make the councils and state-owned companies responsible for their own activities, fines etc to be paid from internal budgets, and don't let them push the burden onto their "shareholder", the taxpayer/voter.

8. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Import and Export of "Rights" to use Trademarks or other IP

It's not just an out-and-out scam to move money around the globe to avoid taxes, but if it was what would be different?

Usually it's done the other way around. The Trademark Rights are transferred to a tax haven storefront with a simple memo, then the corporation's companies are simply forced by this to export all their untaxed profits.

Another trick is to situate the corporation's in-house IT department / supplier in Bermuda to move money there to finance the lifestyle of the corporation's owner.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Bermuda

A UK approved scam. It's their overseas territory.

I did work for a company in Shannon, Ireland 20 years ago and discovered you had to phone Bermuda for their IT Dept.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Bermuda

given the UK's own tax authorities sold their buildings to a company based in Bermuda, it's not that likely they'll clamp down on themselves when there are still "ordinary" small fry to go after.

9. Zangetsu

what happened to his hair ?

did he have chemotherapy ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like