back to article Web smut seekers take resurgent Ramnit malware from behind

Aficionados of salacious smut sites in the UK and Canada are picking up some nasty software that infects systems by using corrupted pop-under adverts. Security researchers at Malwarebytes Labs running a malware honeypot have started noticing resurgence in the Ramnit trojan among the samples. Ramnit was a particularly …

1. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

When can we hold the ad firms responsible?

So this came from an exoclicks ad. So anyone who was infected this way can start suing Exoclicks for compensation right? Or at the very least the cops will go after Exoclicks for failing to regulate their delivery, right?

Didnt think so. But it's about time we got the ability to go after the scum (I mean the advertisers in this case) for not Monitoring the ads they are serving. If they took 5 minutes to actually check what they're serving up, the Internet would be a much nicer place....

1. K
      Pint

Agreed,,

Ad firms should be forced to reverse proxy all ads and ensure content is scanned..

This would make them much more careful, as not only would they be held accountable, the cost of bandwidth will force them to be more selective.

Another benefit is it would be easier to block the ad distribution network..

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

how? flash? java? stupidity?

" before loading the RIG exploit kit."

so how exactly does this spread? some vulnerability in browsers or runtimes i should be worried about? or idiots clicking on nakedladys.exe?

sorry if i missed it.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: how? flash? java? stupidity?

The answer to this is, yes...

https://threatpost.com/inside-the-rig-exploit-kit/121805/

It's a kit of a load of different types of exploits. As mentioned in the article, first stage is javascript code, so if you block that (noScript is your friend as always it seems) the rest doesn't get a chance to get into play.

3. illiad

and adblockers and antivirus at the ready???? The GOOD AV will also test a website for 'reputation' as well as other nasty things..

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=best%20antivirus

1. imanidiot Silver badge

The problem is that this sort of ad runs through an ad-slinger. So a "good reputation" website could still end up slinging ads. (Even the Chocolate Factories ad networking has been known to sling malware).

Time for ad networks (or their customers) to demand an end to all these ridiculous script slinging ads. There is no need for them.

1. illiad

you do know you can set and REPORT bad sites???

ABP+ updates its filters every day - and a bad report means that ad firm LOSES its revenue...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

JavaScript, Flash and VBscript pronged attack to blame for malware

"At the heart of the RIG attack, researchers say, is a three-pronged attack strategy that leverages either a JavaScript, Flash, VBscript-based attacks as needed."

What isn't mentioned is the desktop operating system required in order for this malware to sucessfully execute.

5. Ropewash
    Meh

Any Adbackers still out there?

Not long ago on this very site a thread like this could be relied upon to bring in a few shills to remind us that without easily exploited advertising systems the whole internet would go bankrupt and collapse into fiery oblivion, dragging us all along with it. Any attempt to actually make anyone accountable was a grievous blow to the free market economy guaranteed to doom the entire world to an internet with zero content.

(mild hyperbole)

Anyone still feel like stepping up to defend these plague spreading rats?

Anyone at all?

I'll restate my stale, old opinion. Ads should go back to how they were long (not really that long) ago. The site that hosts the content hosts the ads and accepts responsibility for vetting them. No middleman, bullshit script linking. Until then my blocks on all ads, trackers and scripts remain fully enabled. Even if half the links I click show up totally blank, at least it's a safe(r) blankness.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like