back to article Mac OS IM tool Adium lagging on library security vulnerability

A developer is warning Adium users to pick a different messaging app because of an exploitable vulnerability in its underlying libpurple version. Developed by Pidgin, libpurple is an instant messaging library, and was patched earlier this month. According to “Erythronium23” in this post to Full Disclosure, Adium is still …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple!

I loved Adium, but mostly stopped using it after Google and Facebook abandoned the Jabber protocol. I guess open standards aren't as easy to monetize. Now I use (depending on who I'm working with) Hipchat, Slack, Skype, Hangouts, Signal, and more RAM and screen real estate.

1. Benny

Re: Simple!

I thought it had been abandoned years ago to be honest, but looking at the version history it was last updated towards the end of 2016, so not as long ago as I thought.

Yea, once MSN closed down and support for things went, it didn't really have a place on my machine anymore

2. Jordan Davenport

Re: Simple!

Google may not officially support XMPP anymore, but I still connect to Google Talk through it. I don't know how much longer it will continue to work, but it still does for now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon