back to article Microsoft IE11 update foxes Telerik dialogue boxes

Microsoft’s March Windows 10 Update has claimed a new victim: Windows dialogue boxes built using Telerik objects. Telerik has received “numerous reports” of Microsoft’s IE update breaking RadWindow and RadListBox, according to an email to users seen by The Reg. This followed the release by Microsoft of its March update last …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet more proof MS fails.

How many times will it have to happen before MS figures out the fact that one mega-patch doesn't work as well as releasing the individual patches for individual issues?

If $PartX interferes with $PartY then you can hold back on either of those two parts, release the rest, & fix everything else. If you roll them up into a single mega-patch then *everything* gets delayed while you try to work out the conflict between those two individual parts. Or did the Febuary FuckUp not do a good enough job of pounding that lesson home?

Stop the mega-patch SNAFU, go back to individual patches, & let some sanity have a chance of soaking through your thick skulls.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC - Re: Yet more proof MS fails.

It is time people get over it. ! If they got this far using Microsoft Windows they can certainly take any amount of abuse.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yet more proof MS fails.

"How many times will it have to happen before MS figures out the fact that one mega-patch doesn't work as well as releasing the individual patches for individual issues?"

It doesn't make that much difference. You should be testing the patch, and if it breaks something, you don't apply the "mega-patch" until it's fixed. If you have a real reason to need a separate hotfix for something in the patch, Microsoft PSS can usually assist...

1. ITS Retired
        Childcatcher

"It doesn't make that much difference. You should be testing the patch, and if it breaks something, you don't apply the "mega-patch" until it's fixed. If you have a real reason to need a separate hotfix for something in the patch, Microsoft PSS can usually assist..."

How is the run of the mill home computer user suppose to do that? Web mail is a stretch for many of them.

2. Maventi

"It doesn't make that much difference. You should be testing the patch..."

You've completely missed the point. Of course we test patches, but if one doesn't work I still very much want the rest installed to resolve the other issues rather than remain completely vulnerable.

I also don't expect to waste my time calling vendor support in order to do so; my time is much more valuable than that.

3. P. Lee
      Paris Hilton

>Stop the mega-patch SNAFU, go back to individual patches

Then they would have to tell you what each patch does. It goes completely against cloud philosophy.

And it assumes that they could back out the patch if it goes wrong. Well, Apple doesn't do that so obviously there's no good reason for MS to do anything different.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You will ONLY use MS Products

to develop your code.

This is just a warning understand. Next time it will fry your whole PC/Laptop.

yours MS Marketing

This is a joke (or is it? You never know with MS these days}

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You will ONLY use MS Products

It's no joke.

IE upgrades have broken Telerik controls in the past.

And it's not specific to Telerik, or IE. Every 3rd-party dependency you add to your project is another risk. Will it work in the next version of Windows/.NET/IE/Visual Studio? If the publisher's still around, and if they're still supporting the product, and if you're still paying them for updates, then hopefully yes, but that's a lot of ifs.

In the Microsoft ecosystem, it really is safest to stick to what Microsoft hands down. And if you scrub yourself with bleach when you get home, you can still go to sleep feeling only slightly dirty.

3. Jonathan 27

This is why, regardless of the situation and environment, everyone should have at least 2 web browsers installed.

1. Jordan Davenport

While I do agree that most people should have at least two different browsers (with different rendering engines) installed for practical reasons, each browser you have on your system is just another set of security vulnerabilities opening your data to attack.

4. Herby

Welcome to...

Microsoft beta testing. Please carry on.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Welcome to...

I thought we were early alpha testers not beta testers.

5. Dwarf

Doesn't matter

Nobody except businesses use Internet Explorer anyhow.

6. Lee D Silver badge

Am I the only one thinking "What the hell is Telerik?"

I mean, I guessed given the context and I happened to be right when I Googled, but it's not obvious.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like