back to article Outgoing HPE workers stripped of gym cards and cushy remnants

HPE is ensuring that no unpleasant memories linger for Enterprise Services staff being booted to DXC Technology by informing them they are no longer entitled to membership to the employee discount scheme. In a mail to the great unwashed, HPE UK chief of staff Amanda Hill, said the firm is making "adjustments to the various …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

DXC could of course start their own Sports and Social Club - and maybe take on the HPE Socials at things like Senior Management Kick-Boxing (or should that be Kick Boxing the Senior Management?)

1. Fatman
      Joke

RE: Senior Management Kick-Boxing

<quote>... (or should that be Kick Boxing the Senior Management in the nuts?)</quote>

FTFY??

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DXC starting their own Sports and Social Club? That would cost money, so won't happen,

Also noted the plurals in "adjustments to the various supplemental employee programmes". I wonder what will be next?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could it be that

DXC is just a parking spot on Mercury and that these jobs are soon to vapourise as it spins on its axis?

It would not surprise me to see reports that DXC is 'rightsizing' before the end of Spring.

HP is really taking the sauce these days and it saddens me as I spent 15 good years there before senior management started F*****g the company.

AC for obvious reasons.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Could it be that

DXC is just a parking spot on Mercury and that these jobs are soon to vapourise as it spins on its axis?

I hate to disappoint you, but Mercury is tidal locked. You have a choice of being permanently in frozen hell or boiling hell. Even if there is middle ground it stays as a limbo year-round. Either one of these is an apt description as far as the temporary parking spots of any personnel transferred from HP.

1. stephanh

Mercury is not tidally locked. It was once believed to be, though. Don't get your science facts from old SF books.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Technically speaking, Mercury is tidally locked to the Sun. However, it is not the familiar 1:1 tidal lock (as seen e. g. for the Moon rotation), but rather a 3:2 resonance, making each day last exactly two years.

Obligatory Wikipedia

4. TRT Silver badge

They can relax...

by telling El Reg journos the true story behind the various 3PAR failures of late.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is little doubt that there will be significant job losses in DXC. It has been stated publicly that they will make $1bn of "synergies" in Year 1. "Synergies" = (largely) "Redundancies".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Synergies" = (largely) "Redundancies".

Except at management level, where there will be more people, and lots of big fat payoffs where not...

6. lkerekes

Welcome to DXC folks

Sounds like our HPE counterparts are already used to a certain level of contempt, so you'll fit right in here at DXC. Welcome aboard!

7. kotaKat

"Several insiders told us that Nefkens reassuringly referred to employees as "inventory". This is a new one on El Reg, though staff said at least they were not branded as consumables."

They have, however, been branded as Non-Genuine HP Employees, and will not work in any current HP Office after the latest meatware updates were applied.

8. Pen-y-gors

Beware of company 'benefits'

I appreciate that the poor HPE bods aren't being made redundant (yet), but it's possibly wise not to get tooooo involved with not-work activities at a company.

Many years ago I worked for a large insurance company that decided to reduce the size of the IT department. There were some volunteers (including me) but also some compulsory departures. Bad enough to lose a well-paid job you might say, but there's more...at least one of my involuntarily departing ex-colleagues had worked for the company since leaving school. He'd married one of the women in the punch-room, and they had happy children. Who used the Company playgroup and after-school/holiday club. Most of their social life revolved around a group of friends who also worked for the company. He played sport for the company and used the company Gym and Sports Centre regularly.

Did he keep those benefits? Of course not. Not just losing a job, but effectively losing many, many aspects of everyday life. I was lucky. I think I visited the Sports Club about twice!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Beware of company 'benefits'

"Most of their social life revolved around a group of friends who also worked for the company

Not just losing a job, but effectively losing many, many aspects of everyday life."

Did that in my early career and had a lot of good fun.

Then came the relocation, next came the redundancies. A whole bunch of decent folks split from friends and family "back home", then dumped on.

I was careful after that experience to keep my social life separate from work life.

1. kmac499

I knew an insurance\finance company that had moved from London down the M3. A lot of the staff we're initially quite chuffed at the susbsidised mortgages and 'rural' house prices.

Then they realised how tight the golden handcuffs were. If they sold up they would have to downsize. If they changed jobs they would have to sell up and downsize. Followed by, surprise surprise, Bonuses and Pay rises were not as 'generous' as central London cos of local market conditions ie no competition.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Could you explain what type of contract forced them to downsize? Just curious cos I have never heard of that.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Could you explain what type of contract forced them to downsize? Just curious cos I have never heard of that."

Moving to a more expensive area or one where employment opportunities are more limited for you/your partner/both of you.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

subsidised mortgage - gets messy when you leave

2. TheVogon

"Then they realised how tight the golden handcuffs were. If they sold up they would have to downsize."

Only because presumably they upsized when moving to the middle of nowhere...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

We're lucky

We get gym membership that is more expensive than if you approach the gym direct.

We get a car discount that offers less than if you went to the dealership yourself and told them it's to expensive.

We can buy IT kit for a higher price than buying from most online retailers.

And errrr thats it.So if you had signed up and took these offers up, you'd be better of losing them.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: We're lucky

Reminds me of some of the mailings I used to get from National Union of Teachers. They offered loans from "selected" loan companies that were specially arranged for us to have higher interest rates than the bank. Discount holidays that costed more than the local travel agents, insurance polices with poorer payouts than..... And so on. You get the idea.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: We're lucky

"We can buy IT kit for a higher price than buying from most online retailers."

This. Of course we're going to be lean, inexpensive and agile. And, just to make sure that we are, we are going to lock ourselves into "synergistic relationships" with other companies that are actually so cumbersome and expensive that we would have looked good compared to them if we hadn't locked our ankles together.

10. TheBorg

it will all end in tears ... except for Meg who will trundle off into the distance with her mega millions payoff - what a wonderful leader she has been !

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It could well end badly, possibly with a sale to one of the Indian outsourcing companies.

And Meg will ride off into the sunset with a big payoff, although for her and other senior people it really isn't about the money, it is much more about power and influence.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"it will all end in tears ... except for Meg who will trundle off into the distance with her mega millions payoff"

A truly horrible thought. When she last had a bash at politics she spent her own millions. Whitman spent $144 million from her own personal funds on her campaign for California Governor

By accepting a pay cut, you might become an unwilling contributor to her next campaign.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NIMBLE to HPE

If HPE closes the Nimble acquisition, how long will it take before I hate my job and have to find another one....assuming I am redundant inventory!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The positives of leaving

I've found my social life with HPE colleagues has got far better since leaving. Went out for a pint with a couple of blokes off my 1986 Cobol course and some other ex-colleagues only a couple of weeks ago.

I suppose the fact we all got shafted by Shitman and Turd over a period of about 6 years, but remained resident in the same town, means we can just be mates without the millstone of working for that doomed organisation hanging from our necks.

And at least we got our payoffs before Lawrie latches on to IBM gettig away with statutary minimum.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As part of the merger ask them why CSC Staff in Chesterfield etc get Free Membership! one rule for one group and one for the new boys!...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ahhh that will be because they are bolshi ex-Royal Mail communist union members.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only benefit you'll get at DXC....

...is being thankful that you still have a job.

And you will be told that endlessly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The only benefit you'll get at DXC....

..something to be thankful for ?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DXC pay-offs

With 17 yrs service and a strong desire to leave the basketcase of hpe, i am just praying that DXC honour the same level of redundancy payments. It will make my choice to hang for a few more years seem pointless if they cut back to statutory minimum. Whitman trousered $18M last year but employees were not worthy of a pay rise? Seems the wrong way round to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: DXC pay-offs

CEO gets pay raise and employees don't? Sounds like HPE staff will already be primed for slaving under Lawrie.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like