back to article Intel reveals Optane SSDs: 375GB to start, at surprising speed

Intel has finally revealed an Optane product and told us how fast it will go. The TL;DR version is that the “Optane SSD DC P4800X” will ship by year-end, starting with a 375GB product that has amazing computed random read IOPS numbers, and can work as memory or as storage. Intel says the SSD is built with 3D Xpoint media, …

1. Korev Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Competition at last?

With AMD's Rizen chips and Intel's Optane could we finally have some competition in technologies again? Yes or no, it looks like it's looking better for consumers than it has for a while.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Competition at last?

Optane is not supported on AMD.

1. Stoke the atom furnaces

"Optane is not supported on AMD."

Why not? Optane is just an SSD.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Optane is based on 3d xpoint which is only supported on certain intel chip sets.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Optane is an NVMe SSD and as such can work on any platform that supports NVMe (not limited to Intel chipset)

2. phuzz Silver badge

Is Optane an 'SSD'? It is literally a solid state drive, but generally that's used to refer to NVRAM flash, where as Optane seems to use some different technology (mem-ristor?), and it also seems to be aimed at a different use (something that's faster than flash, but slower than RAM), so maybe we should come up with a new term?

1. Joerg

NVRAM and NAND Flash are completely different technologies.

2. Korev Silver badge

I meant more that we have AMD boosting core count (for normally priced chips) and Intel are releasing the combined memory/disc. It'll be very interesting to see how they perform in the real world and whose system is faster.

3. Paul Shirley

I read it as: only Xeon's support it in pseudo RAM mode.

Won't be surprised if Intel 'accidentally' cripple the NvME drivers on AMD though. This would be rather useful right now but I'll wait for someone else to test it on Ryzen.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
          Boffin

Shirley you jest ... Re: Competition at last?

That would be foolish.

Intel 800 ton gorilla in the industry. AMD is a flea in terms of Intel's dominance of the market.

If caught, Intel would be in a world of hurt and the risk outweighs the gain by several orders of magnitude.

Its not just the payout in damages but also the potential for Intel being named a monopoly. Even the hint of a threat of being called a monopoly scared IBM shit-less and forced them to back down during the 80's.

2. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Microsoft will be working weekends...

Microsoft will be working weekends, reworking their code so that it will still take at least 20s to open any Office file.

Office 2013: <click>... Okay, what are you doing? Yes, nice scrolling dots. Hello? What are you doing? Open the file! It's a 12KB Excel file. Open. The. F-in. File. Still scrolling dots? Why? It must be billions and billions of instructions by now... Uh, look! It's nearly open, almost.. Come on baby, you can do it. Come on, uh! YAY!!! Nice... Ah, there it is. "15.3", thank you. Close. ...Oh, what was the other number? Damn...

Where's Henry VIII when we need him?

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Microsoft will be working weekends...

20s? I thought is was at least 2 minutes. </snark>

2. picturethis
      Childcatcher

"Microsoft will be working weekends, reworking their code so that it will still take at least 20s to open any Office file."

Why would MS want to change this? - The longer it takes to open a file, the longer the user's captive eyeballs will be subjected to ads (especially in Win10).

This is a win-win (for Microsoft). I'm sure that somewhere their business model suggests ad payment based on not only placement, but duration of ad as well.

1. Korev Silver badge

Maybe they're trying to make O365 document loading times competitive...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't care what anybody says, I want it and I want it now!

This is wonderful, this will make me more attractive to women, I will be the envy of every man in the office, I'll be able to strut like John Travolta.

How do I get it? who I need to sleep with? what does it actually do? Will it be faster than my old 5300 series DIMMS?

4. Jim O'Reilly

Is it really that fast?

Intel has released a datasheet for the 4800.

It's a bit slower than Chris estimated...Just "up to 500K 4KB random IOPS"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it really that fast?

Some people (normally pretty reliable), are saying some pretty bad things about it:

https://semiaccurate.com/2017/03/10/intel-mislead-press-xpoint-next-week/

Probably better to "wait and see" with this.

1. Aitor 1

Well, I just don´t see the point of buying the things.

For the same price, you cound get a 1TB SSD + 32GB of RAM + IC glue and supercaps.

More capacity, probably faster...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Probably better to "wait and see" with this.

Thanks for that very significant link.

3. h4rm0ny

Not only is that an excellent article (as per usual for SemiAccurate), but that last paragraph but one was spared nothing in calling out by name certain journalists that they believe are influenced unduly by Intel. Certain journalists whose bylines appear in El Reg., no less! :)

5. Alistair
    Windows

Optane and AMD

The *drive* mode of the optane device will not be an issue with AMD's new chips. It will however be unlikely to support running in *memory pool* mode on AMD chips as the article notes that this requires a driver loaded between the (firmware) and the (OS) that only works on Xeons.

Still, if the latency is that low, I can think of a damned good use I could put it to in .... umm think we now have 85 data nodes, 30 some of which need really fast scratch pad temp file systems. (SAS is bitch that way)

6. jason 7

Funny reading comments on this SSD

On some tech sites it's clear that some folks think that Intel spend millions of dollars designing tech just for guys living in their parents basements to benchmark all day.

7. Bronek Kozicki
    Windows

OK now I want no fewer than 6 Sandisk MAX 4TB for my new RAIDZ2 and a small Optimus for ZIL. Mmmm ....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like