back to article BOFH: Don't back up in anger

Backups. Backups Backups Backups. Backups Backups Backups Backups Backups. What more can I say? "So do you have a backup of that?" the Boss asks. "No." "We don't back up your laptop." "But you told me you back up everything?" "Everything on the server, yes." "YOU SAID you backed up everything but desktop machines." " …

Page:

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Pint

The moral of the story?

Be nice to your BOFH! Buy them a pint, a packet of pork scratchings, heed the "do not disturb" signs, buy them something nice on sys admin day…

1. Gerhard Mack

Re: The moral of the story?

A better moral of the story is: Do not try passing blame for your own mistakes on the IT department.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Especially when you faked the mistakes?

How about: "If you must lie on your CV, and your get-out-of-shit strategy requires a victim, be careful who you choose"?

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

And the classic: "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are subtle only in comparison to a brick through the window with "fuck me" written on it?

1. SteveK

I thought it was "Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are quick to anger and have no need for subtlety" ?

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

I thought it was "do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Pfft, amateurs.

Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins for they have fully charged cattleprods.

2. Josco

New technical terms.

I thought I was up to speed with most jargon, but I haven't heard of bitwise comparison of tesla signatures on the disk surface. Can it really detect as low as 3 or 4 micro-gauss?

Marvellous stuff.

1. Si 1

Re: New technical terms.

The latest version can go as high as 6 micro-gauss but you need a Bayesian compatible GPU to provide the additional processing power needed for the double ROT-13 calculations.

1. TRT Silver badge

Surely you need a tunnelling scanning cryo-electron microscope to profile the magnetic polarity of the diatomic regions, visualise the granular domain boundaries and generate a probability density map for the distribution of annealed and fixed data domains?

1. Kevin Johnston

Recent advances in confocal microscopy actually allow 3D modelling in real-time of nano-level anomolous profiles.

Although the last time I tried it looked like a dog had eaten my homework

1. TRT Silver badge

Combined ultrasensitive magnetic resonance force microscopy (MRFM) / 3D image reconstruction achieves magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) with resolution <10 nm. The image reconstruction converts measured magnetic force data into a 3D map of nuclear spin density, taking advantage of the unique characteristics of the “resonant slice” that is projected outward from a nanoscale magnetic tip. The basic principles are demonstrated by imaging the 1H spin density within individual nano-scale particles sitting on a nanometer-thick layer of adsorbed hydrocarbons. The result represents a 100 million-fold improvement in volume resolution over conventional MRI, demonstrating the potential of MRFM as a tool for 3D, elementally selective imaging on the nanometer scale.

Think I'm making this stuff up?

1. frank ly

@TRT Re: New technical terms.

A quick Google search says it's genuine, and in quite a few locations.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

@TRT - Re: New technical terms.

No, but did you understand it?

Not sure I'd want an MRI taken with this technique, given the phrases, "adsorbed hydrocarbons", "nanoscale magnetic tip", and more importantly, "slice".

1. BoldMan

Re: @TRT - New technical terms.

You forgot the reciprocating trunion that helps avoid sinusoidal depleneration...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. barbara.hudson
            Happy

Next time, order a colonoscopy - most self-proclaimed "experts" are full of sh*t.

2. Phil W

It works better if you do the recovery while the drive is rested on top of the user's head, due to quantum entanglement between the electrons used to store the data and the electrons in their brain that originally created the work.

Although this does inconvenience the user a little by requiring them to sit perfectly still with a hard drive vibrating away on their head, it's worth while if it means they get their data back surely?

1. John G Imrie

Although this does inconvenience the user a little by requiring them to sit perfectly still with a hard drive vibrating away on their head, it's worth while if it means they get their data back surely?

The problem with that is if they do move you get the smell of burning hair as the lazer hits their scalp.

1. Robert Moore
              Thumb Up

The problem with that is if they do move you get the smell of burning hair as the lazer hits their scalp.

It's not a bug. It's a feature.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

electrons in their brain

I think we've found the problem: what brain?

Anyway, what the boss deserves sacking for such a pathetic attempt to cover up not being arsed / able to do the presentation!

1. NukEvil

Given what was on the presentation slides, I'm thinking they were speaking of the "other" head.

3. PNGuinn
          Pint

Re: New technical terms. @TRT

Utter Bollocks.

Have one of these!

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
            Boffin

Re: New technical terms. @TRT

I recently read a white paper (with perforations) on how our brains store an image map of all the file names on our computers (so that we know where to find them, natch). If you delete the files you can apparently induce the brain to re-produce this image map by flashing an 100000lux light directly onto each retina in 1ms pulses. Apparently the image map will form on the wall behind the persons skull, so be ready with that photo insensitive paper to record it! (You won't get a second chance, because once the retina is incinerated it can't be used to transfer all that light to the brain anymore).

I'm sure the paper used more technical terms, I've paraphrased it for the management types.

4. Johndoe132

Is that you aManFromMars1??

2. John G Imrie

double ROT-13 only works with ascii for full Unicode compliance you need double ROT-557056

1. rjmx
          Go

John G Imrie: Since it'd be completely useless, it'd be bound to have an ISO classification. Say, ISO910367812-45bis?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Since it'd be completely useless, it'd be bound to have an ISO classification. Say, ISO910367812-45bis?"

Surely that would be a British Standard - as in "BS"

1. Toni the terrible Bronze badge
              Headmaster

BS ISO maybe as BS tends to take up the ISO where it exists and is relevant

2. Mpeler
          Pint

"double ROT-13 only works with ascii for full Unicode compliance you need double ROT-557056"
          Otherwise it's only half-ASCII...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I'm anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulations.

1. Aladdin Sane
              Coat

Of course, you could just reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.

Mine's the one with the jelly babies and long scarf.

Surely yours is the one with the little comm badge and Earl Grey Hot cuppa?

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

Eh, they're all perfectly cromulent words round my way.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

"Otherwise it's only half-ASCII..." - I think that would be half-ASC'ed

3. chivo243 Silver badge

Or you can just discombobulate the fratisstaff, either way...

1. Chemical Bob

"discombobulate the fratisstaff"

It's quicker to flatternize the Giff-Hiiny quadrasnopes...

2. herman

"Discombobulate" - what does the bra-size of a booth babe have to do with magnetic storage?

"Discombobulate" - what does the bra-size of a booth babe have to do with magnetic storage? - It has far more to do with it than you can possibly imagine - just dont go there

2. Mad Chaz

Why not just use a flux capacitor and an old car?

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: No, but did you understand it?

It can be neatly summed up as "Use the force."

3. oldphart

You must, of course, multiply the bra with the ket.

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Boffin

Reading the 'deleted' data off the platter isn't the hard bit.

The hard bit is programming the butterfly to write to a new disk by generating the correct eddy currents in the upper atmosphere.

And don't give me C-x M-c M-butterfly. That doesn't work.

3. Blofeld's Cat
      Alien

"It had um, interesting rhythmic devices, too, which seemed to counterpoint the the surrealism of the underlying metaphor of the poet’s compassionate soul which contrived through the medium of the verse structure to sublimate this, transcend that and come to terms with the fundamental dichotomies of the other. And one is left with a profound and vivid insight into whatever it was that the poem presentation was about!"

With apologies to the late Dentarthurdent Douglas Adams.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Alien

Death's too good for you!

Re: New technical terms. Death's too Good For You

As it is for all ctitics

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We only backup the shared drives

Unless you're a certain London based university...

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: We only backup the shared drives

"Unless you're a certain London based university..."

I think you'll find they didn't lose a single one or zero; but they might not necessarily be in the right order...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: We only backup the shared drives

I once worked for a major I/T provider (name withheld to protect employment!) who told us that "They back up the system disk packs nightly.". Seemed safe enough. So, we used them for six months or so, before, in an idle conversation with one of the system guys, it became apparent that by "system disk packs", they meant the disk packs that held the operating system. This did NOT include the "user disk packs", which held all of our development code. Ack!!!

Oh, yeah, this was the same outfit that, once they did start backing up the user disk packs to tape, they ran short of backup tapes. So the night tape operations person grabbed a tape from the scratch tape pool, used it to finish the back up run of the user data, and then returned the tape to the scratch pool! ACK!!!

You just can't make this stuff up. The sad part is, I could go on and on and on about such screw-ups that I've personally experienced.

Anon Y. Mus

P.S. Did I just hear a stampede of running feet, to check on the backup status of user disks?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon