back to article Blast from the past: Mass birth of early supermassive black holes explained at last

The earliest supermassive black holes have always puzzled astronomers. These ancient voids – about a billion times the mass of the Sun – were discovered more than a decade ago and formed only 800,000 years after the Big Bang. It should take millions of years for black holes to accumulate that much mass, so finding these giants …

1. Mage Silver badge
    Pint

Fascinating!

Great boffinry.

I wish I understood it. Only 800,000 years? Seems like a blink!

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Joke

"Only 800,000 years? Seems like a blink!"

Yes, it's amazing that Muse could produce a semi-decent album in that time, isn't it?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: "Only 800,000 years? Seems like a blink!"

Yes, it's amazing that Muse could produce a semi-decent album in that time, isn't it?

As a primarily-prog-person I really ought to like Muse (they are, after all, somewhere on the Prog spectrum - rather more to the 'rock' end than the 'prog' end though.).

Sadly, the lead singers voice gives me a reaction somewhat akin to fingernails on a blackboard. I have one album in iTunes - it has one listen to one track..

I'll just have to stick to the other 150GB of prog. Maybe one day I'll add a second track.

1. Tom Paine

Re: "Only 800,000 years? Seems like a blink!"

Old school progger here (*makes the secret sign of the 1972 Cabal) and I also completely failed to get Muse. No accounting for taste, obviously the people who like it are hearing something I'm missing, but *shrug*.

Now, Radiohead on the other hand,..

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Tom 38

@Symon

The article you linked to says that

...you have to remember: 13.8 billion years ago, our entire observable Universe was smaller than the size of our Solar System is today!

and then has a chart of universe age versus universe radius size in light years...

I don't see what inflation has to do with this either; inflation lasted for a fraction of a second after the big bang, this is talking about effects well after that.

What am I missing?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Tom 38

Re: @Symon

Ah, I see. I thought you were saying that he was wrong that the universe at 800,000 years was much smaller and dense, but you were in fact pointing out that "size of universe in LY" > "age of universe".

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah no

Black holes are caused by two feminists trying to out "victim" each other, don't get sucked in.

1. Tom 7

Re: Yeah no

Looks like the MRA have just proved they suck harder than gravity.

1. Tom Paine

I think I'm right in saying gravity's a very weak force, relative to the others. You need a lot of matter to make dertectable gravity. The MRA are actually more like degenerate matter inside a neutron star -- very very dense.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
      WTF?

Well that was odd. Do you need someone to talk to?

3. Tom Paine
    Headmaster

Now I'm no phyicist, gods know, but...

..the earliest supermassive black holes have always puzzled astronomers. These ancient voids – about a billion times the mass of the Sun..."

Unless I've completely misunderstood everything I've seen and read about black holes, they're points of effectively infinite density, often surrounded by dense clouds of gas and plasma radiating wildly due to the intense pressure and gravity just outside the event horizon. Isn't that the exact opposite of a void?

(PS finally, an opportunity to use precisely the right icon! \o/ )

4. mhenriday
    Boffin

Rare ?

«Another previous paper led by Eli Visbal, co-author of the current study and researcher at Columbia University, calculated that the neighbor galaxy would have to be at least 100 million times more massive than the Sun to emit enough radiation to prevent star formation in the host galaxy.

Giant galaxies of that size are relatively rare.»

Are they really so rare ? The mass of our own galaxy, the Milky Way has a mass estimated to be some 0.8–1.5×10¹² solar masses, while that of our closest neighbouring galaxy is estimated to be some 1.5×10¹² solar masses. Even the Large Magellanic Cloud, a so-called dwarf galaxy orbiting our own, is estimated to have a mass some 10¹⁰ solar masses. Is the quote above off by several orders of magnitude ?...

Henri

5. MT Field

Hm yeah unless the black holes were there all along ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon