back to article Google Cloud to offer support as a service: Is accidental IT provider the new Microsoft?

“We don’t use Google,” the CIO of a fairly major enterprise with a very recognizable brand told me some time ago. He runs the cloud component of his corporate IT on AWS and Microsoft’s Azure. “If there’s a problem, I don’t want to be on the phone to California and told everybody’s in a meeting.” Google is not a new tech firm …

1. poohbear

If only

"for on-call engineering support you get a Google engineer within 15 minutes 24x7 at a price of $1,500 per user a month."

Now if only my clients would pay that ....

1. DougMac

Re: If only

That's a bargain compared to AWS.

To get the same response rate there, you need to spend the greater of $15,000 a month or

10% of your monthly AWS usage up to the $150k/month tier, (then you start getting discounts)

in order to get Enterprise AWS Support plan.

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Must admit

I didn't realise Google offered Cloud services beyond APIs. Kudos for making a pricing model that's even more complicated than AWA and Azure combined.

Paris 'cos she can't work out how much a VM costs per month on Google cloud either.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Pointless

"$100 per user per month with a response time for four to eight business hours."

1. Our business hours are 24*7*365. Not some random time-zones.

2.Response times are the biggest con on the planet. "Hi we got your query and will assign shortly". Thats you response time met.

Let's hope it's better than some "support" I've had from Google.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pointless

Having used Google's existing silver enterprise support:

1. They have support teams across different timezones for this reason

2. When I get a first response it's from the person it's been assigned to.

4. CheesyTheClown

Don't use google for the same reason you don't use AWS or IBM

If you choose to go cloud, you want a single solution that works in the cloud or out. Google, Amazon and others don't make the platform available to take back home. Sure, you can go IaaS, but do you really want IaaS anymore?

Never use a platform which has PaaS or SaaS lock in and Google and AWS are permanent commitments. Once you're in, you can't go out again.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Almost as if...

Back decades ago when I had a non-tech professional practice one way I was told that you could turn down a case you didn't want to take (usually b?ecause the time required would outweigh the monetary return) was to quote an outrageously high hourly rate. That seems to be what Google is doing here: they'd prefer it if they didn't have to provide support at all, and so they're pricing themselves out of the market. Either that or someone inside Google wants their cloud business to fail by not being able to compete even with Oracle on price.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The fools will buy into this

Meaning the directors/upper management will claim this as a saving ignoring the fact an onsite engineer would be cheaper.

I see all this "cloudy" stuff putting more and more IT people out of work.

7. newlyminted
    Holmes

You call that a CIO?

I have one piece of advice for the CEO of this company: they need to say bye-bye to the CIO for failing to do his job. Its understandable if he didn't choose Google Cloud because they don't have the right tech or the pricing didn't work out etc, but to reject a provider on the basis of an argument that has zero truth to it means he didn't do his due diligence and failed his company, his team and the stockholders in the process. Relieve him of his duties!

Google Cloud has offered paid support with 24x7 responsiveness for almost 4 years now. Here's a blog announcement of support services from Feb 2013!!!

https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2013/02/google-cloud-platform-introduces-new.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like