back to article Marissa! Mayer! out! as! CEO! of! Yahoo! corpse! post-Verizon! gobble!

Marissa Mayer won't lead the remains of her beleaguered Yahoo! once telco giant Verizon gobbles up its core assets, it was announced Monday. Verizon is in the process of acquiring Yahoo!'s star components, such as Y! Mail and Y! Finance, a move that will leave behind a shell biz called Altaba. Today it was confirmed Mayer will …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Who says incompetence doesn't pay? Especially when you're a board member !!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Weird... cannot find a pic with her and a golf club. She is a member of the golfogarchy, right? The ruling caste in a golfocracy.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who says incompetence doesn't pay?

The answer always is:

The Peter Principle. "People rise to their level of incompetence".

Then sometimes they get promoted further to get them out of the way. At a certain magic level they merely enter the pool that circulates round businesses. In each case they leave with a golden handshake - only to be immediately snapped up by another company where they introduce their pet business fad that has failed so many times before.

1. Alt C

I've heard from some fairly senior people, it's because if they admit their pick is an abject failure it reflects badly on their ability to select candidates for a post hence above a certain level people never fail because it looks bad on those that hired them and they never know when that person will be on a selection panel for a job they want

3. MyffyW Silver badge

Marissa

Wishing you all the very best for a long retirement. Please don't manage any more companies, particularly any where I might be working.

1. Hans 1
        Windows

Re: Marissa

Retirement ?

Nope, I think Microsoft, Accenture, HPE, Sony, Amazon, or Disney should put her on their board or even CEO (my dream-come-true).

Yours sincerely,

Your Official MHP

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft, Accenture, HPE, Sony, Amazon, or Disney

Monsanto

2. Korev Silver badge
          Joke

The Trump re-election campaign could do with someone of her caliber to lead it.

1. Mark 65

You laugh, but I could see someone of her delusion levels turning to politics.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

No need to wish her well

She's got millions in the bank - she'll be well enough off.

Would I have the chance to fail so well.

1. the Jim bloke

Re: No need to wish her well

If i wuz her, I'd be concerned about that 19.9m in equity....

demonstrating the differences in flight performance between golden parachutes and lead balloons.

Best to cash out and make it someone elses problem.

2. thomn8r

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Woody-Harrelson-Wiping-Tears-Money.gif

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whoops

Misread some of the article. Thought it said:

"Verizon had been due to buy Yahoo! for $4.83bn, but that price tag fell to 350m after disclosures of security breaches."

$350m would barely cover Mayer's golden parachute, but sounds a lot more realistic.

1. Sanctimonious Prick
      Mushroom

Re: Whoops

"Misread some of the article. Thought it said:"

PMSL! Me too!

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

You said it yourself

Carly, Gregg and Jack carved out a much larger chunk of flesh, so it is normal that they be rewarded accordingly.

As for The American Way, I think that there will be a revision coming in the next few years. Hopefully.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: Poor, poor Marissa

Well, when you put it in that context, she's going to be the next President of the United States. Four years from now we'll want nothing more than a new POTUS while still not having any ability to choose a good one.

5. Hans 1
    Boffin

Belluzzo ? The undertaker of SGI, FFS .... WHAT AN UTTER MORON, no, criminal ... nobody can be that STUPID, he must have millions upon millions in offshore bank accounts, or ... he is a cretin of the very first order .... orders of magnitude over any other living being needing to breathe.

Then you have Mitchell Kertzman, what AN IDIOT, he almost killed Sybase by given MS their codebase ...

There are many more, much worse than Mayer ...

6. retired_in_london

America now can claim to equally incompetent and crooked Female CEOs to run their businesses.

The USA has truly achieved equality.

1. Hans 1
      WTF?

>America now can claim to equally incompetent and crooked Female CEOs to run their businesses.

Come on, there are far more incompetent and crooked male CEO's America has produced ... I do not think it is a gender thing ... just ... moneys or brain-damage ....

1. Mark 85

Not gender... a CEO thing. She'll be back somewhere, it's almost guaranteed as once a CEO, always a CEO. The money is in the bank and they want more. More money and more power. Maybe being a CEO should be declared a plague and dealt with appropriately?

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    Pint

Happy! Landings!Marissa!

Here's to that golden parachute falling on you!

8. GrapeBunch

Altaba

Altaba. That's the Failed State right next to Alt-Georgia.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Altaba

No its next to the its fellow failed state alt-mississippi

9. Alistair
    Windows

Does! This! Mean! That!

El! Reg! will! stop! heading! Yahoo! articles! like! this!?

1. Mark 85

Re: Does! This! Mean! That!

No! Not! until! Yahoo! ceases! to! exist!

10. J. R. Hartley

Shitting! Crikey!

11. Howard Hanek
    Linux

How She'll be Remembered

......for the sumptuousness of her over the top parties.

12. Drew 11

Dear Google. I have found you a new CEO. Regards...

13. Tom 64
    Coat

Yay!

El! Reg! will! be! able! to! continue! with! the! ridiculously! punctuated! headlines! since! the! brand! isn't! dying!!!

I'll! get! my! coat!!! And! some! eyewash!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Perhaps a new partnership with Dido?

15. Potemkine Silver badge

And it's justice?

I'm sure that people who'll be fired after the merging because of 'redundancies' will be delighted to know that their ex-CEO will put $23,000,000 in her pocket.

Hey, underlings! There's indeed an Invisible Hand... and it slaps you on the face.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The older I get...

...the m ore bitter I get about my financial situation, and seeing stories like this doesn't help. When they named the monopoly money London job's salary I thought "Wahey, better get busy figuring out which Aston Martin I want!" . You can imagine my surprise when it turned out I'd effectively taken a 15% pay cut for the privilege of moving to the SE, thanks mostly to 300% higher rent (and beer a fiver a pint?!) Still, these firms all give huge annual bonuses, right? Wrong, I've had less than a month's pay as bonus and that's over three years.

So, working in a chapeau shop. What are the hours like?

17. montyburns56

Buyer beware

"Verizon was due to buy Yahoo! for $4.83bn, but that price tag fell by $350m after it emerged the web biz was ransacked by hackers on two occasions"

That's like finding out that the car that you are about to buy is riddled with rust, yet the owner will only give you a 10% reduction in the price.

18. mIRCat
    Paris Hilton

Darling, we'll always have Paris.

Failing into success is an art form.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like