back to article Dark net webmail provider Sigaint still in the, er, dark

Sigaint, one of the largest dark web email providers, is approaching its third week of unavailability with still no clear signs about what's happening to the service. The site has been down since at least February 11, with no news about what's happening as yet. In the absence of a clear explanation, speculation is, …

1. Alister

Canary time...

If it's suddenly disappeared, suspect foul play.

2. Toastan Buttar

"The service has run for years despite deanonymisation attacks by Federal agencies and OTHER hostile parties."

Says it all really. :(

3. Wolfclaw

Spooks in control and gagging orders in place, while they use a drag net warrant to look for anything tasty !

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

clink, clang, bang

I'm sure there are plenty of people having nightmares of going to jail. Waiting on reality to kick 'em in da nuts.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The beast system tightens it's hold over dwindling means of dissent...

Shouldn't federal agencies be serving the public interest? Anonymous email is incidental to the public interest so there's no reason for it to be outlawed, attacked or shut down. The public should have a right to know what's being done in their interest by those entrusted with authority and funded by our taxes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The beast system tightens it's hold over dwindling means of dissent...

AFAIK no one actually knows why this service is down. Could be a perfectly innocent reason, such as running out of money, broken server they can't afford to replace, all sorts.

I dunno about the USA, but in the UK conversations with one's Member of Parliament are privileged. You can go to their office and talk about anything, and no one can force them to reveal their source when they raise the issue elsewhere on your behalf.

Society doesn't need electronic anonymity to function properly, it simply requires people who care about something important to get off their backsides and actually go see their MP. And if they can't be bothered to do that then one wonders whether the issue they're concerned about is really that important.

I would be surprised if conversations with one's senator or representative weren't similarly protected in the USA.

6. Daniel B.
    Black Helicopters

Compromised

I'm betting that some TLA got them. Hopefully, everyone using that service was also using crypto on their email, or they're going to find some friendly spooks knocking on their door real soon.

7. Allison Park

And I still cant get my 25K of bitcoins

Next time I will have two emails for pw recovery

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like