back to article Dell kills off standalone DSSD D5, scatters remains into other gear

A year after first shipping the DSSD D5 array, Dell Technologies is axing the standalone product. It will sprinkle the technology into its storage and platforms groups; that will, it is hoped, speed up applications on these systems by exploiting high-speed access to NVMe drives. EMC bought DSSD in May 2014 for a suggested $ …

1. p0pk1d

Relieved? Maybe not.

I am not sure Pure, and the AF startups will be relieved. Surely the fact that this product has been killed-off points to weakness in demand for this sort of esoteric device? I would not want to be in the stand-alone bazillion IOPS business.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Relieved? Maybe not.

You might be right but the staff at El Reg seem to have a big thing for posts on Storage Companies.

I don't see any sign of that changing anytime soon.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's plenty of demand. Whether or not this particular box was marketed correctly... that's another question.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am pretty sure none of the AFA guys ever saw themselves competing with DSSD.

It was too expensive and had no data services. It was intended for an entirely different audience, and that audience was REALLY REALLY SMALL. The only way forward for All Flash is in more data services, broader eco-system integration and increasingly lower price points--the commoditization of Flash into replacing spinning disk. The next step forward involves NVMeF based designs when standards are shaken out and pricing for NAND comes back down as supply/Fab chain gets sorted out.

The future is not in high end exotics with 20 potential customers.

4. decoy_underpants

ex-Pure employee. No one cared that it existed in the first place.

2. ZenCoder

Doublespeak and Euphemisms in Business English?

Is it me or does the phrase "Any DSSD people leaving EMC will be treated respectfully" need additional translation?

Is this communication of pending synergy-related headcount adjustment goal?

1. Terry P

Re: Doublespeak and Euphemisms in Business English?

"Any DSSD people leaving EMC will be treated respectfully"

Yeah, they sound like prisoners of war!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've heard that before -

" give me your badge , here is your severance pay ( $0 ) and your extended insurance ( $0) , . and "bye bye" " ..

2. quxinot

>Is this communication of pending synergy-related headcount adjustment goal?<

Wash out your mouth with soap!

3. J. Cook Silver badge
      Joke

Well, there was no mention of feeding them into a tree chipper or some other permanent life process termination device? :)

(Yes, poor taste. I know, I'll show myself out.)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

interesting product

but too small of a customer base to make this viable, especially at this price point.

EMC is correct in my opinion to incorporate this type of lower latency option into its existing platforms (XtremIO, VMAX).

Together with server-side NVME, it's death was inevitable.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Layoff

68 people have been laid off at DSSD in CA according to WARN notice filed with CA govt.

Not sure how many will be left after this and more coming.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like