back to article Net neutrality? Bye bye, says American Pai

Ajit Pai – chairman of America's broadband watchdog, the FCC – has outlined his vision of data networks in the United States. And it most definitely does not include net neutrality. Speaking at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona today, Pai – who has been in office for just over a month – outlined a philosophy and approach …

1. Roger B

25 days, I had said 12 months in the comments, but 25 days since the pre approved PR puff piece from the now pro Trump FCC was reproduced on this very website and Andrew Orlowski put his name to it, 25 days was all it took for the ISPs to start strangling their customers internet usage and laying down their own law.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well they not started strangling their customers internet usage and laying down their own law yet and we still have Net Neutrality and many are fighting to keep it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

time to be that guy

> ISPs to start strangling their customers internet usage and laying down their own law.

Well look on the bright side. A year from now this probably won't even make your top three list of asshat moves by this new administration.

1. Roger B

Re: time to be that guy

You deleted my original post! Did I piss off Mr Orlowski? The original article which he was so enamoured with is here;

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/03/2nd_attempt_neut_layton/

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Roger B

The comment's back.

C.

1. Roger B

Re: Roger B

Thank you.

2. Keven E

Just...

...another b******t "trickle down"-like justification.

Philosophy? HA!

"...acting with humility..." OMFG!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just...

>"...acting with humility..." OMFG!

Well I guess one could say its humility if you don't want others to know about a from the bottom of your heart charitable donation your energy company gives to a third world dictator to pillage his countries resources which is the big legislative accomplishment so far in this administration. They are all about humility.

3. DerekCurrie
    Devil

Take Away My Net Neutrality Mr. Pai And I Will Short Your Circuit!

The USA Federal Government:

- No reliable leadership

- No representation of We The People

- Sold out to corporatocracy

- Enforcers of Neo-Feudalism and Tinkle Down Economics

- Ignorant and dismissive of the US Constitution

What idiots made this happen?

1. Keven E

Wait a min...

... it's because the current US providers ARE monopolies. What part of...

...nevermind.

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: Wait a min...

Well yes. Local loop unbundling wasn't such a bad idea after all, was it?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Take Away My Net Neutrality Mr. Pai And I Will Short Your Circuit!

"What idiots made this happen?"

A bunch of angry idiots who were so mad a black person was president they decided a racist, misogynistic, tax cheating, contractor-not-paying, Putin Spooning℠, asshole was their only option. There are a lot of "Red States" that produce nothing, yet suck on the government's teat so very hard and chew up tons of benefits provided thru taxes, and not surprisingly complain about everyone else not pulling their weight and that they have to pay taxes. I mean total nothing states like Alabama, or Kentucky, or Florida. Just worthless, nothing, shit states that somehow get to have a say even when they bring NOTHING to the party. It's like some assholes crashed your dinner party and complain about the food they didn't help provide or make. Yet, they get to stay and complain. These know-nothing idiots who voted in this orange dipshit will still be poor and stupid in four years. Nothing will have turned them into little millionaires. And to the two morons on here; tax avoidance is NOT THE SAME as tax evasion. Trump EVADES taxes, and now will never have to pay them. He'll just lock up the IRS administrator and tweet how he "did good." No decent human is a fan of tRump.

"Congress is in a position, [actually], to bring US laws up to" 1950

Fixed.

1. Stevie

Re: "What idiots made this happen?"

My esteemed AC makes a valid point.

No, not anything he wrote, but the fact that he could write all that and not achieve enlightenment.

It is convenient to believe the Bill Maher reasons for Trump Voting, and to be sure there are always a few idiots willing to demonstrate for a gleeful press that they do indeed exist (just as there were really people who slept the entire night shift at British Leyland in the late 70s/early 80s, people who got a disproportionate coverage in the papers and TV news distorting the extent of the "idle git" problem and provoking tarring with a very wide brush).

The concerns of Trump voters cover a wide spectrum of issues, largely rooted in an erosion of their standard of living, often a drastic one when we consider a company town with no company any more. And remember, the IT jobs the Clinton government were dangling as a way out of penury were being shipped abroad as he spoke. This is an electorate ripe for rage voting, irrespective of racist overtones that may be but often aren't part of the calculus.

The inability to empathize with the very real concerns of those who brought Trump to the white house will guarantee him a second term. This goes for the would-be voter just as much as for the would-be candidate.

FYI: Jack Daniels and a bunch of other stuff is made in Tennessee

The "P" in your PBJ? Probably came from the same place the most famous horse race in the US is held, as did your post-it notes

Apart from the obvious Orange Juice industry, and the huge numbers of foreign tourists visiting for their own spendy reasons, there's quite a few things made in Florida that Americans like to buy.

And those are all before we start looking at the mineral resources. Tennessee, for example, probably provided at least some of the coal used so you could make your ranty post and I could make this snarky reply to it.

But I'm sure there are quite a few racist idiots who see Trump as permission to wind back the clock. We had a bunch of anti-Semitic crap go down in NY just recently (we export bank collapses and stock market crashes; you're welcome).

Idiots are idiots, and need little excuse to start behaving as such (as the rifle-toting twats who showed up to candidate Obama's speeches proved, and as the endless witless Arsebooking about "coming to get our guns" showed throughout his presidency). Then there was/is the Do Nothing Congress and the Do Nothing Senate, the twin national disgraces.

But when a country's electorate speak so clearly (and notwithstanding the popular vote bum steer, no-one thought that Trump's demagoguery would draw *ANY* number of votes at first - he was a joke candidate like that fool who believes the Pyramids are grain silos) it behooves everyone who voted differently to listen and attempt understanding beyond a smart-ass one-liner on a late night comedy show, so they can demand a better candidate of their own next time.

Let's be brutally frank: What lost the elections this time was as much the DNC's dynastic view of their world in spite of a clear groundswell indicating there were serious problems with the heir apparent in the public's eye as the charismatic draw of OPOTUS. Huge numbers of people were so enthused by their choices that they just stayed home on polling day.

1. Dr Scrum Master

The inability to empathize with the very real concerns of those who brought Trump to the white house will guarantee him a second term.

Understand the problem then provide solutions.

Too many politicians are like enterprise software salesmen, selling solutions for the wrong problems and getting themselves and their buddies rich in the process.

2. Eddy Ito

the coal used so you could make your ranty post and I could make this snarky reply to it.

Then there's that issue. You had a whole bunch of coal industry workers put out by some of Obama's regs and Clinton promising to keep those doors shut didn't win many friends in coal country like Ohio. Granted, given the price of oil and natural gas, it isn't like coal is going to suddenly become a major profit center but I'd wager to many Clinton's position was just seen as kicking a guy when he's down.

1. Stevie

Re: You had a whole bunch of coal industry workers put out by some of Obama's regs and

*shrugs* I sympathize with the workers' position, not so much that of the people they work for.

Coal is a filthy way of making electricity, no matter what you do to make the actual burning less impactful at the smokestack. The companies that comprise the coal industry have a terrible record of voluntary action of any kind that does not focus on making money for the directors.

Health and safety of the miners. Environmental impact on the land itself. Mitigating the eyesore factor. Common sense precautions to prevent fallout from becoming lethal. None of these has been at all an initiative undertaken by any coal mining operation in the US.

We've seen underground fires that have burned for over forty years and resulted in millions of dollars worth of losses. The health of former miners is a byword for neglect and corporate prevarication (takes a lawyer to move most diseases into the public mind but everyone and his dog knows about Black Lung). Tailing piles have collapsed into rivers, toxic pools have ruptured and polluted rivers and lakes. The list goes on for as long as you care to look.

Saying coal is a clean industry is an evasion at best and a lie at worst. Claims by the current administration that legal requirements are not needed to enforce sensible, safe practices are risible.

Right now I'm most concerned about the hints of a relaxation of controls on Big Pharma. Another Thalidomide disaster we don't need, but start taking a lump hammer to the goveners and that's what we'll end up seeing. If the review were sane and restrained it could be beneficial, but I've seen this before and what we have is a doctrinal zeal at work (some of it in direct opposition to experiential proof that said doctrine is - in certain special cases - blither).

The problem is that politicians are reactionary rather than proactionary (I'm not sure that is a word) and favor doing nothing at all until the wheels have come off on both axles. That's how they stay in office.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Take Away My Net Neutrality Mr. Pai And I Will Short Your Circuit!

>What idiots made this happen?

The founding fathers when they decided a state like butt fscking Montana (granted not a state then but still) gets as many senators with electoral votes as New York (not as many total obviously but far more than their population alone would dictate, for example 7x more people in Long Island alone than whole state of Montana). The minority in fly over country call the shots.

4. Eddy Ito
      Paris Hilton

@DerekCurrie

And?

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"What idiots made this happen?"

"We the people....."

Freedom is a privilege. No one rides for free.

4. DNTP

Pai: "America's approach to broadband will be practical, not ideological"

*Ignores all practical data supporting Wheeler's assertion that net neutrality had no significant limiting effect on network infrastructure investment or business growth

*Frames his entire argument around a "regulations are bad for businesses" generalist ideology that historically, has tended to work out horribly for consumers, commons, and sustainable capitalism

Just straight up abandoning any kind of pretense of working for anyone but the dudes slipping bucks into his pocket.

5. redpawn

Most Unpopular Administration

Chumps elected Trump to get back manufacturing jobs, coal jobs and to prevent the left from banning Christmas, not to be screwed over by every large corporation. The Swamp is now drained of clean water and stinks for thousands of miles while the swamp creatures have unchallengeable license to steal from ordinary Americans.

1. Halfmad

Re: Most Unpopular Administration

I work next to an American who apparently voted for Trump, he never stops telling me. It doesn't matter what the current administration do - my colleague approves of it. I asked why he voted for Trump - he said to protect his right to guns.

Which is odd as he's been living in the UK for 10 years.

When pressed why, he said if he wanted to move back to the US he would become a gun owner again to protect himself.

Why don't you have one whilst living here? You could join a club?

No need, UK is safe, we don't need them at home. It's great.

I just.. I just.. /facepalm.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Charles 9

Re: Most Unpopular Administration

Banning importation of ANYTHING is a fool's errand in a country like the United States with so much border: both terrestrial (why do you think "coyotes" can still cross the border so easily) and oceanic (Cover several thousand miles of coastline, some of which are prime beach estate? Please...).

And let's not get started with all those plans for homemade guns and ammo on the loose. Not to mention the historic American attitude of defiance toward government. Even a small minority of such is usually enough to give any government a headache.

IOW, if you consider guns a problem in the United States, it's already past the Point of No Return. Too ubiquitous, too coveted, and too rebellious.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anti-net neutrality, anti-consumer, pro-telco speech at MWC in Barcelona? I bet that went down like a lead balloon.

7. Paul

Welcome to the USA, where everything is for sale, your privacy, your rights, your healthcare, your internet activity...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Last time US gov left telco self regulate...

... they deployed each a different mobile standard in an attempt to gain a monopoly. Meanwhile Europe adopted a 'regulated' single standard and the mobile sector soared, unlike US where it was much slower to grow because of the incompatibilities and spotty coverage.

Pai is just creating the condition for new business wars aiming at monopolies, and people will pay the costs, and lack of real innovation - no reason to offer a better service when you can lock-in your customers.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"they deployed each a different mobile standard in an attempt to gain a monopoly. "

I personally liked the bit where the person answering the mobile call (on some systems) paid part of the cost.

Just looked at that and thought "WTF?"

I'm not saying GSM was the best standard, or that the US telco's couldn't have gotten together and come up with a better one.

But they didn't. And the rest is history.

1. Charles 9

Re: "they deployed each a different mobile standard in an attempt to gain a monopoly. "

"I personally liked the bit where the person answering the mobile call (on some systems) paid part of the cost."

Well, it makes perfect sense since the answering mobile uses the airwaves, too. Otherwise, who pays for the airtime when a landline (who even back then was normally flat-rate) calls a mobile?

9. The Nazz

is this the right time and place to say ....

somewhat controversially, that there is a life, a good life, outside the 'Net and always on connectivity?

Top tip : OS Maps, or similar, never run low on batteries. Topographical features rarely change or need updating. 'cept for the occasional change in say SF or Christchurch.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: is this the right time and place to say ....

Agreed. After all, who needs a data sucking phone anyway when there's a perfectly good postal service?

1. Charles 9

Re: is this the right time and place to say ....

And I guess someone who wants to do on-the-spot research on a hot soon-to-be-gone impulse buy are gonna have to just go on gut instinct.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you want to help protect NN and privacy rules you should support groups like ACLU and the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Free Press who are fighting to keep Net Neutrality and privacy rules.

https://www.aclu.org/

https://www.eff.org/

https://www.freepress.net/

also you can set them as your charity on https://smile.amazon.com/

also write to your House Representative and senators

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?OrderBy=state

and the FCC

https://www.fcc.gov/about/contact

11. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Zero-rating is not really free, Mr. Pai.

It's just that you're being charged even more for the content that is not zero-rated.

Idiot. Well, let me retract that and say that the argument is stupid, but Mr. Pai probably lined his pockets or got future considerations for adopting it--and that was very smart.

12. andrewj

"Worryingly, Pai said he would be "acting with humility as we regulate one of the most dynamic marketplaces history has ever known" – the sort of sentence construction that only ever comes from someone with a highly developed sense of self worth. "

Or someone who is on the make from cable companies, just like his political overlords.

13. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

The President will soon say

Folks, we are gonna fix this. It will be tremendous, fantastic.

And it is all Obama's fault. Anyone disagreeing with this is in the pay of either Obama or Hillary.

But don't worry folks we are gonna sort it all out bigly.

14. Potemkine Silver badge

Deregulation works so well..

... to make the Big ones even Bigger, so they can become "too big to fail" and be sure that public money will pour when (and not 'if'!) needed.

15. earl grey
    Facepalm

Mr. Pai is NOT a dingo

I've heard he only eats a FEW babies....

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"a highly developed sense of self worth"

I suspect that that should (now) read "a highly developed sense of *net* worth" after the truckloads of cash from the ISPs have arrived.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like