back to article Mozilla makes first-ever acquisition: Web-clipping app 'Pocket'

Mozilla has acquired Read It Later, Inc. the developer of a web clipping app called “Pocket”. Pocket lets you bookmark content from the web and then syncs it to make it accessible on all manner of devices, even when they are offline. The service can pull off this trick for text,images and video. Read It Later, Inc. claims 22 …

1. DavidRa

Unrelated of course to foisting it on people...

But perhaps I am the only one who remembers them shoving it down everyone's throats.

I can't surely be the only one thinking it's not a coincidence?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Unrelated of course to foisting it on people...

Nope, you're not the only one. In fact, I'm a bit surprised that Pocket wasn't a part of FF/Mozilla already. But then I never was really interested in Pocket anyway and never looked into it.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Gurr!

Why can't they focus on Firefox security & bugs?

Stop messing with other projects and stop messing with GUI.

I've not used Pocket as I don't like the idea of a 3rd part server. I simply save webpages or paste into LibreOffice Writer. Sometimes I convert them to ePub/Mobi via Calibre.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Unicorns and clouds

Firefox already has a bookmarks manager and bookmark sync. Perhaps giving Thunderbird some care and attention would have been more useful? (I say "have been" because they've decided to dump it completely.)

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Unicorns and clouds

I don't know how it finished up but I think last year they were planning on dropped Thunderbird, or at least passing it to someone else away from Mozilla.

Heard no more about it though.

4. wolfetone Silver badge

Shorter Mozilla Statement

"Guys, we've bought this mobile app which we think is super cool and will improve your experience!"

"What about Firefox? What are you doing to improve that for everyone?"

"Yes."

".... well?"

"*blinks*"

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Shorter Mozilla Statement

"What about Firefox?"

You mean the "Return control of the web to you" browser?

It had its run, was very popular.

Then what I call the "graffiti artists"* at Mozilla took over and a once promising project was history.

*"Graffiti artist" - the type of "programmer" that joins a popular project, and proceeds to "make his mark" everywhere, to the detriment of the project. A most lamentable sub-species of human.

5. Whynot

Pocket has been integrated in to Firefox for ages. Pocket is a very good and useful app.

I a;so use the desktop version of Pocket

The only negative when Firefox integrated Pocket they made the previous Pocket addon defunct, the integrated method was a possible security risk.

I managed to get a copy of the last signed Pocket addon and it is installed permanently.

1. inmypjs Silver badge

"Pocket is a very good and useful app."

If you don't mind a 3rd party collecting information about everything you find interesting on the internet and linking it to you across multiple devices.

I never considered the utility of pocket to come close to justifying the loss of privacy and was annoyed as hell to find it baked in to Firefox.

1. Mage Silver badge
        Devil

Re: loss of privacy and was annoyed as hell to find it baked in to Firefox

First thing I do on anyone's PC I install FF, is for their user account, I go to the menu and remove pocket. I also add Classic Theme Restorer and Noscript.

Having 3rd party cookies disabled by default and something like Noscript makes more sense than privacy stealing & pointless pocket. There are loads of "safe" ways to do what pocket does.

Pocket is also on my Kobo. Facebook is on my Kindle & Kobo. Are they all mad? Yet I can't email highlighted text from Kindle or Kobo.

I have no difficulty at all using Calibre to make ePubs for the Kobo from saved webpages.

I can read them on phone too.

The Kindle & Kobo & phone do sort of work on web pages anyway.

I don't use Firefox bookmark sync etc either. Privacy & Trust. If I need a link on another gadget / machine I use methods I trust to copy it. I rarely do.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Translation

For those who can't be bothered to read the press release that Sharwood copy / pasted, the story goes more or less like this:

Firefox had its own offline reading feature that was being developed internally, then the Pocket guys were approached by Mozilla Business Development and told "would you like us to bundle your stuff in our browser as a core component?" There was a monetary exchange here, of which Mozilla developers were initially unaware, thinking that it had been purely a decision on technological grounds.

Fast-forward a couple of years and the money now seems to be going in the other direction. I haven't checked but it would be interesting to know if anyone at Mozilla had a material interest, disclosed or not, in Pocket.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon