back to article The Psion returns! Meet Gemini, the 21st century pocket computer

The original Psion designers have returned to put the classic British pocket computer in a modern body. Martin Riddiford, the designer of the Psion Series 3 and Series 5 keyboards, and co-founder of Therefore, has come up with an entirely new design for the 21st Century. Patents were filed today, and the venture codenamed “ …

Page:

1. GregC
    Thumb Up

Well hello...

Very interesting. I loved my Series 5, and this looks great (both aesthetically and feature set). Looking forward to the hands on, and also an idea on price.

1. Down not across

Re: Well hello...

Well well. Rather interesting. Ticks all the boxes. Except EPOC and stylus.

Even with 8Ah battery I have doubts about the standby time with Android. I guess if you slimmed down all the extras (as most vendors bundle in tons of bloatware (often a full suite of apps competing with Google) it might be possible. Standby clearly mean display-off, as 5.7" QHD screen is likely to be thirsty.

As for pricing. Backer prices on indiegogo look very tempting.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Well hello...

Thank goodness it offers Linux and android, I love it but Android only would be a deal killer. If I get one then the Android would be the first bit of cruft to be wiped off.

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      WTF?

21st century pocket computer

I call it a smart phone.

Makes phone calls too.

1. GregC

Re: 21st century pocket computer

I call it a smart phone.

Got one of those. It's missing a major feature: a proper keyboard.

Guess what this has?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I call it a smart phone.

Got one of those. It's missing a major feature: a proper keyboard.

Guess what this has?

- Hmm. My phone can link to the Bluetooth keyboard I keep in my bag. The other 95% of the time it fits comfortably in my pocket for ease of use.

2. elip

I would argue that my full-qwerty Droid 4 contains such a keyboard... as did the Droid 3, 2, 1.

3. Dave559 Silver badge

A smart phone with a proper keyboard?

Like a Nokia E7, you mean? (Which was sort of the final evolution of the Psion organiser design, in a way)

But this new toy definitely looks nice!

2. Tom 7

One version doesnt do phoning!

3. BillG
        Mushroom

I had an HP 200LX. A full pocket computer, pseudo-GUI on top of DOS 5.0 which let you run your own .bat files or even write your own program. I kicked ass as an FAE over my competition with this little monster.

1. Trygve Henriksen

Re: HP 200lx

You should have sprung for the 700 as that one had a cradle for the Nokia 2110 on the lid.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

"The pocket computer had a multitasking rich operating system and application suite, but was best known for making touch typing possible on a relatively low cost and convenient device"

They seem to have done away with the idea of touch-typing on this one, as those pictures seem to be missing the little raised bits on the home keys.

1. Dave 15

multitasking rich operating system

That will be a reference to Epoc32, later called Symbian.

The one ditched by everyone on the back of a piece of linux based crud from an American company, oh well.

So no it won't manage the battery life nor the security, and it doesn't have the very amazing slide out keyboard that balanced the weight of the screen tilting backwards and making the whole thing a stunning piece of engineering.

Of course, I will still buy one IF it is made in the UK, is it?

Re: multitasking rich operating system

Of course, I will still buy one IF it is made in the UK, is it?

Not if is going to be affordable for most of us.

Is "Designed and Engineered" not enough?

3. mr_souter_Working

hope this isn't more vapourware......

or an early april fool - or some weird joke from El Reg.

if this is real, and not too expensive, i could see me getting one

one of the things i really like about my Psion 5mx (still in use), is the Serial adapter, to let me interface with switches and the like. maybe this will at least work with a USB-Serial dongle.

1. Lusty
      Mushroom

Re: hope this isn't more vapourware......

+1, don't mess with us here Reg or we'll burn your office down! We've been waiting for a new Psion for decades :)

That said, the month of actual usage time on two AA batteries and proper fold out keyboard were really what I liked, along with the ability to use almost no memory to do what Windows does but faster. Put Linux on it, even Android and most of that is lost.

2. the hatter

Re: hope this isn't more vapourware......

I also still have my 5mx as a bulletproof serial console, but is there something you dislike about the many bluetooth->serial adaptors that exist ? Would be the obvious companion if no USB port was available on the gemini.

4. Oh Homer
    Pint

I still have my Psion netBook

As in the original netBook, before the advent of generic "netbooks".

Still works too, although it's hideously dated.

Rarer than hen's teeth, apparently.

1. MrT

Re: I still have my Psion netBook

Nice - IIRC there was a choice of leather cover, though lots got shipped with black or dark blue. I was looking at either a Series 7 or netBook Pro after happily using an original Series 5 for a few years. In the end, falling laptop prices and a donated US-spec 5mx kept me happy. Laptops come and go, but I've still got both S5s in the attic.

I used to travel on the train a lot, and remember writing some of my editorials for CastleCops on the original S5, then hooking up my Motorola T250 handset over IR to email them off to be published. The OPL language was easy to use too.

2. Dave 15

Re: I still have my Psion netBook

Indeed, wonder how much my mx is worth - still with its books and manuals, and of course still working

1. Oh Homer
        Windows

Re: wonder how much it's worth

Dunno about other models, but the second hand market for netBooks is basically zero AFAICT, or at least nobody's selling. The most recent listing I found was from last September, and the guy only wanted £100, so it hardly seems worth selling.

Maybe in another 20 years...

5. Terry 6 Silver badge
    Pint

OS

If this is running a 'Nux OS, so that we're not tied to the Evil Axis of iOS/Android/MS I'll be very excited if it appears.

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

Re: OS

I'd fully expect an Android on it - doing an OS is *hard*.

That said, If they're smart they'll open all the hardware API specs so you can scoop out Android and plop $CyanogenRenamed in *and* be able to keep it up to date.

1. Peter X

If it could run something Debian based, e.g. like Raspbian is, then that would... absolutely perfect actually. This _could_ be a seriously brilliant device!

I guess the problem is that an OS like Android is easier to sell to most consumers.

Would it be viable for them to ship with Android, but provide a community supported Debian based distro? As long as it looks like they're (Planet/Gemini/whatever-they're-called) committed to the linux distro and can provide drivers/documentation, then I'd be happy with that.

1. Infernoz Bronze badge

Interesting, but cost, build and usability will be critical.

The quantity and quality of software for a OS is critical, Android and Linux with decent repos. provide loads; more people can't or don't want to write any or most of their software, even developers want enough provided environment for their project scope.

Not enough quality software for an OS makes that it of limited use and niche or dead.

Read the Article

Gemini will be dual platform with Linux and Android supported. But future variants may take it in other directions.

First thing I would do is wipe off the Android cruft.

2. Lusty
        WTF?

"doing an OS is *hard*."

For normal people, maybe. Psion created more than one great OS with spectacular popularity as well as some of the most usable productivity apps I've ever seen and their own object oriented language (when that sort of thing was a big deal). If these are the same guys they are perfectly capable of not only making a better OS than Android but also of making that the global standard smartphone OS within a decade. I'd buy one as I'm desperate to get away from control freak money machine Apple and not go to data slurping privacy killer Google. Blackberry and Windows Mobile aren't real options so an OS move from these chaps would be a great move. Especially since their old mobile OS went on to be the leading mobile OS through Nokia for a looong time.

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

"Psion created more than one great OS with spectacular popularity ..."

and was it pentested? The requirements for 'good' have changed - It needs multitasking, media, USB, usb-hardware drivers, all of which pile on the pressure. The Psion OS was more akin to DOS. I loved it, but it won't fly these days, no matter how many people think it will.

1. Lusty

Epoch 32 had support for those things. At the time, no it probably wasn't pentested due to lack of an Internet but I suspect the billion or so Nokia phones which later ran it allowed security to be tested pretty thoroughly. Did you even try to look up which OS Psion created? It was more advanced than DOS by a long way, and probably better designed and more modern than Windows at the time too. Epoch32 (Symbian) only died because Apple came along and later Android. Being tied to Nokia probably killed it more than anything.

2. SealTeam6

"The Psion OS was more akin to DOS." Not all all! EPOC was much more advanced than DOS.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I want one

Now I have to justify why I /need/ one.

At $349 for early backers, this looks like a good deal. If retail price ends up being around $549 - $599 definitely less so ... but still looks like a solid offering. I'd have more use for this over a tablet.

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Re: I want one

Where are you getting that from? Is there a crowd-funding link somewhere I've missed?

1. Steve Todd

Go to Indigogo and search for Gemini. Not a site that has the best reputation though.

2. getHandle

Don't think it was actually in the article: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone#/

3. Bronek Kozicki
        1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Confidentially expecting much wailing and gnashing in November when the ship date has slipped. And then again in January when they don't work as advertised.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Hah, that is quite likely. Personally I think that the delay is almost guaranteed, but I'm OK with that, as long as it does not go into too many months.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

predantry

"Gemini will be dual platform with Linux and Android supported."

I'm under the impression that Android itself is built on a Linux kernel. Is it not more correct to say "[...] Android and another flavour of Linux"

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: predantry

Not really.

Both use the Linux kernel, but they are vastly different userspaces exposed to users, even if underneath that they have a common layer.

1. Ogi

For full pendant points, Linux is "GNU/Linux", and Android is "Android/Linux", "GNU" and "Android" are the userlands, and "Linux" is the kernel.

Linux was originally called "GNU/Linux", but as there never was a real big alternative to "GNU" for the userland, people just called the whole stack "Linux" (much to RMS'es annoyance at the time).

However now with Android out there, it is getting a bit confusing, as both are "Linux", but with different, incompatible userlands. Hence to distinguish between the two, the prefixes can be used (I've started doing that when you have to clarify "which Linux" you are referring to).

1. Bronek Kozicki

It is also worth noting that Android has its own set of patches on top of mainline Linux kernel (like many distributions do). Which hopefully explains why a dual-boot.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Steve Graham

I don't call it "GNU/Linux" because only 10% of the software on a typical Linux box originated with GNU. You might as well call it "LibreOffice/Linux" or "Mozilla/Linux".

(10% is an "estimate", i.e. I guessed. It might be a bit more.)

1. Ogi

> I don't call it "GNU/Linux" because only 10% of the software on a typical Linux box originated with GNU

Well, generally in the context of operating systems, the "userland" is all the software that you need to build a bare usable OS. That does not include "end user applications" which can be anything, even proprietary. Doesn't change the userland, which is primarily the work of the FSF's "GNU project".

I am sure <20% of the apps on my phone originate with Android as well, but we still call the userland "Android" because of all the libraries, systems, services and utilities on top of Linux which make the OS what it is.

Even if we accept your premise that all software and applications running on Linux is the "userland", most of that software still uses the GNU GPL, making it "GNU" software in that sense (or at least GNU related). GNU is not a company with a trademark, it is more of a philosophy around software development and licensing.

4. Oh Homer
          Meh

Love Linux, hate Android

Linux (the kernel) is an amazing piece of engineering. Android, on the other hand, is a hideously convoluted mess.

An OS that can only be "flashed", not merely updated incrementally? Obfuscated EFS data that's strewn all over multiple filesystems, and impossible to fully locate and backup (resulting in bricked devices when you don't)? Filesystems that can't be mounted as mass storage, but are only accessible via weird protocols like MTP? Nasty hacks needed to move apps from one storage device to another, and even then only partially, where not all apps are even "compatible" with being moved at all (and "paid apps" that apparently can't be installed as system apps)? Modem drivers with a hard dependency on specific builds of the bootloader (WTF?!?!)? A phone that takes three times longer to boot than a fully-loaded PC? The list goes on.

Not that other mobile OSes are any better, they're all junk yards of non-standard contraptions stuck together with duct tape, designed solely for the purpose of inhibiting the user's freedom and herding them into the vendor's walled garden.

Re: Love Linux, hate Android

Android is like the speak and spell version of Linux.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: Love Linux, hate Android

"Android is like the speak and spell version of Linux"

Wouldn't bother me. Having Google looking over my shoulder does.

8. DJV Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Magic words!

I see the spec includes the magic words: REMOVABLE BATTERY

Excellent!

Just got my 5MX out to compare the keyboards - they look almost identical.

WANT!

1. Stoneshop

Re: Magic words!

they look almost identical.

Eh, the prototype is using an actual 5mx keyboard, so that's not very surprising.

9. 0laf
    Go

Oooh shiny

Looks like the keyboard will sit flat. Wonder if a real one might tip up a little just like the 5. The other picture of the case implies it might.

It's not a chiclet keyboard either, happy happy joy joy

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon