back to article Microsoft catches up to Valentine's Day Flash flaw massacre

Microsoft's popped out a Security Update for Adobe Flash. Adobe did likewise last week, celebrating hackers' love for Flash by releasing it on Valentine's Day. That dump addressed no fewer than 13 CVEs that allowed code execution due to: Type confusion vulnerability Integer overflow vulnerability Use-after-free …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only way to fix Flash...

.. is to uninstall it.

1. Czrly
      Thumb Up

Re: Only way to fix Flash...

And how, pray tell, do you do that? I'd love to completely purge "Flash for Windows 10" from my Windows 10 boxes. I'd also love to completely purge Edge and IE. But you can't really accomplish that, completely, can you?

1. getHandle

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop ;-)

2. macjules

The only way is to kill it. Kill it with fire.

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Well you could just disable it in the browser. Apart from tin-foil tittle-tattle, do we have evidence that this is not sufficient? Is there some way for a web-site to turn it back on again? Does Windows Update sometimes turn it back on again? I would imagine not, but if anyone has evidence to the contrary then that would indeed be interesting.

2. Frank Bitterlich
    Facepalm

Why so fast?

"Adobe did likewise last week [...] Microsoft's now caught up"

Why the hurry? It's not as if after Adobe's patches every script kiddy knows the vulnerabilities and starts exploiting them. What's one week (or a few million vulnerable machines) in a billion-years old universe... no need to rush.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Why so fast?

Perhaps Microsoft's telemetry is telling them that pretty much everyone has disabled Flash by now.

Unlikely, but if it does ever go that way then I wouldn't expect MS to tell anyone. In particular, I can't imagine them turning to Adobe and saying "Hey, you know all the Flash fixes you send us each month? You needn't bother. No-one is still using it. We have the proof.".

3. doke

VMware Vcenter

I have one thing left that needs flash, VMware Vcenter. Unfortunately, I need to use it for work. I have a separate browser just for that.

That's one example of a growing problem. Many intranets contain legacy devices that need older protocols or ciphers, but for various reasons can't be easily replaced. As the browser companies delete support for those older features, we're forced to use obsolete browser versions to talk with these legacy systems. This becomes a big problem when you have to provide a secretary with two browsers, and tell them "only use browser B for X". They often forget, and venture out on the internet with the wrong browser.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like