back to article HP Ink says ink sales are down but PC sales are up, up, up!

HP Inc has reported its first quarter results with a highlight being increased sales and revenue for PCs, but a dip for printer-related activities. The company offered the following graphical depiction of its quarter in its earnings presentation, and it explains the state of affairs better than we could do with prose. HP Inc …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Harass your users... and they'll go elsewhere.

HP made its best to push its customers to competition - the "time bomb" that triggered the refusal of tird party inks is an excellent example.

Moreover HP got out from the high-end inkjet printers (pro photo printers), leaving that market to Canon and Epson, which are delivering excellent products (with their expensive inks). Users of this kind of printers may be less inclined to use non original inks, and risk less reliable output and prints longevity.

Thanks for the hint about looking for the usual hidden commands...

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Harass your users... and they'll go elsewhere.

FYI, Epson do a bit where they count the number of cartridges used, then when it hits a limit they stop printing until "serviced"

I had this happen on 2 Epson printers until I discovered this fact.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Harass your users... and they'll go elsewhere.

Partially, there could be a technical reason. The head "rest pad" (or whatever is called) may need replacement after some time, because it fills with ink. Some printers start to have a replacement cartridge for that too - so it's user replaceable.

2. TheProf
    Joke

Buy ink?

I don't buy expensive manufacturers ink. I just throw the printer away and buy another one. Works out a lot cheaper and I get plenty of exercise chucking the old machine into a skip.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Buy ink?

Ehm, my printer costs around €800 and weights around 30Kg.... too much exercise. Inks cartridges are far lighter to bring home...

3. nkan

Pls share the menu option...

4. Chris Evans

Tip!

Even after selecting 'remind me in 50 pages' option on our HP Colour M451DN printing slowed to a crawl. Opening the door to the toner tray, pulling it out and then pushing it back in. Fixed that.

I've lost count as to how many 'remind me in 50 pages' selections I've done and still all colours are printing fine.

5. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    Happy

Brother Lasers

... are extremely refillable.

No chips!

https://www.urefilltoner.co.uk/

(I'm a satisfied customer)

1. Stevie

Re: Brother Lasers

Agree. I have refilled my "starter" cartridge three times, and converted it to standard use with a kit too.

Once I added in the "disbelieve out of toner claims" configuration change I started getting upwards of 400 extra double sided B&W documents per filling.

I used to be able to zap C-80 Epson carts too, and could get as much as 1/3 more use out of them as a result, but my later generation Artisan 810 model uses carts whose countdown-to-whine-time chip actually self destructs when it hits the magic number to defeat customer zappage and ekeage.

6. Paul Westerman
    Stop

I gave up

after trying refills, 3rd party inks (terrible) and then being caught short and having to spend £25 in Tesco on a colour cartridge. I've gone for the Instant Ink option, £1.99 a month and HP send me a new cartridge when the printer tells them I need one. Freepost recycling envelopes too.

7. Daniel von Asmuth

run for the Brexit

Annual revenue growth down to measly 10 %. More layoffs soon to follow.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Weak compare

This is likely just a weak compare to last year when PC sales were way down because MSFT was force feeding Windows 10 upgrades on consumers. Chromebook may also play a factor. Not a major factor, it is getting large enough and growing rapidly where it might be accounting for a point or two of growth.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like