back to article Talk about a slow pour: Oracle now brewing late Java EE 8 for July 2017

Oracle says it will finally land Java Enterprise Edition 8 in July 2017 – only eight months behind schedule. Java EE 8 was due to appear at JavaOne 2016, last September, but following a development hiatus, it was bumped back to the “first half” of 2017. In October, Oracle revised that date again by promising to deliver the …

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    WTF?

Does anyone really care?

Who allows Java on a machine these days? Might as well have a honeypot sign on the machine.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Does anyone really care?

This isn't about the plugin.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Though his core point is still correct. Is anyone still working in JEE? Or more to the point, anyone that is actually going to upgrade this side of 2025? The only lunatics I know still working with that archaic monolithic nonsense are still writing for JDK5.

1. gv

"Is anyone still working in JEE?"

I'm guessing large enterprise companies who standardised on the platform are still using it. However, the latest "cool" dev toys are microservices and devops.

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
        FAIL

Re AMBxx: Does anyone really care?

I wasn't talking about the plugin. We don't allow Java on any machines where I work for security reasons. Same with Flash.

Ok Oracle employees, continue with the down votes! Adobe folks have a reason to join the Oracle folks.

1. Gerhard Mack

Re: Re AMBxx: Does anyone really care?

"I wasn't talking about the plugin. We don't allow Java on any machines where I work for security reasons. Same with Flash."

Great..a purist. If I did that, I would not be able to remote manage any of our machines. Our Raritan KVM wouldn't work, Neither would any of Dell iDRACs, HP iLOs, SUN ILOM, or the Lenovo equivalent some of our branch offices use. And that is just client side.

On top of that, one of our largest income generating systems runs on Java.

And even then? Even if we wanted to replace a whole team's several year long effort, what do we replace it with? C takes to long to code, PHP isn't suited to the task, Python and Ruby do backwards compatibility badly, making security updates out to be a night mare and everything else doesn't have enough developers for us to be able to hire people.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Care?

Quite a few people continue to care, because Java continues to be the most popular programming language out there.

It will be entrenched in the enterprise and governments for years to come.

It's just a shame Oracle owns it... someone with deep pockets needs to buy it an open source the whole shebang.

Google...we are looking at you. Don't you need to settle that lawsuit anyways?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Care?

There is a huge difference between Java the core language/platform (aka Java SE, or just the JDK) and Java Enterprise Edition. One is a relatively lightweight collection of easily replaced, unopinionated libraries over a common runtime.

The other is a monolithic specification covering everything from transaction management to messaging to object-relational mapping, data validation, user interface composition and so on and so forth all the way down to the limited set of application servers you're allowed to run it on, each of which of course provides their own subtly different implementations of the spec. Just enough to keep you locked in and licensed up.

Meanwhile most the rest of JVM world does all of this stuff in Spring or Play or some other non-monolithic framework that wasn't designed by a committee of those with a solely commercial interest.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like