back to article Google rents out Nvidia Tesla GPUs in its cloud. If you ask nicely, that'll be 70 cents an hour, bud

Google will this week start offering Nvidia Tesla K80 GPU-equipped virtual machines for its Compute Engine and Cloud Machine Learning hosted services. Under a beta program launched on Tuesday, the Chocolate Factory will let customers spin up GPU-based instances out of the us-east1, asia-east1, and europe-west1 regions using …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's US$1152 a month for one VM

Is that a bargain, or is it a fair "state of the art" price for a 9984 CUDA core host? IDK

I have 4-dies in 2 Tesla boards (2 x GK210 chips per board x 2 boards) x US$.70 x 24 hours x 30 days == US$1152 for a single VM per month.

How much does a Nvidia GPU Tesla cost? You do the maths, my brain hurts now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Tesla

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's US$1152 a month for one VM

I bet it is still less costly than buying a server, or pair of servers, on prem with this high test spec. If you are running 24/7/365 at the same workload, the cost savings are going to be less.... most people will be able to shut the server off at night or between batches... or they can pay for actual utilization instead of peak (as with on prem). Rare is the workload that runs at the exact same utilization 24/7/365.

1. Korev Silver badge
        Flame

Re: That's US$1152 a month for one VM

Rare is the workload that runs at the exact same utilization 24/7/365.

This is exactly how we run in HPC shops :) We've actually burnt out consumer cards running molecular simulations as they're not designed to run for days/weeks at a time...

This is ideal for bursting when you have a time critical job to run that can be run on many GPUs at once.

2. 404
    Terminator

All those juicy cycles....

Can't Wait!

-Skynet

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like