back to article Verizon! surprisingly! OK! with! Yahoo! despite! mega-hack!

Verizon will savagely slash its acquisition offer for hacker-ransacked Yahoo! by, wait a minute, just 5.2 per cent, it is claimed. We're hearing that the telecom giant has decided to lower its $4.8bn offer for what remains of the Purple Palace by roughly $250m. According to Bloomberg, the discount will be $250m, while The Wall …

1. Steve Aubrey
    Unhappy

Sad me

The "follow the money" mantra leads to a rather sad place. If a billion user names and passwords are worth $250M, then I'm worth two bits to them.

But they are buying the rest for another $4.5B because -- profit??

Something doesn't add up.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Sad me

Verizon thinks combining two turds will make a rose when it makes a bigger turd. Putrid and Almost OnLine are has beens that have become largely irrelevant. I doubt the combination will have much interest to advertisers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Up-votes for everybody*! (there's just the three of us right now)

Small deduction in price, while not reflective of hacked mail user value, is due to the event nonetheless. However, there is value to be had, even if they need to cast off the old-timey branding. Not sure about AOL, but Yahoo! still has over a dozen fully-stocked, ready to redeploy data centers online. And this is Verizon, the guys fighting for second place in the mobile carrier market and getting their asses regularly handed to them by a crazy CEO in pink t-shirt. Let us not beat around the proverbial bushes, lads and ladies. Yahoo!'s DCs and AOL's DCs combined is still an attractive value in and of themselves, and you most certainly can ignore the branding of old, for probable new branding to tie into their new mommy, or perhaps some showy new brand with a stupid name we'll all laugh at. Either way, you could ditch the running OSes, and just roll out brand new services on the same hardware and bill it as another cloud service. There is a lot you can do with dozens of connected, worldwide data centers without ever calling them an AOL or Yahoo! property again. It stands to reason. What say you?

1. Down not across

There is a lot you can do with dozens of connected, worldwide data centers without ever calling them an AOL or Yahoo! property again. It stands to reason. What say you?

Why would they want more datacenters when they've been busy selling them off as it is?

2. Youngone Silver badge

I wonder if following the money winds up in various tax havens, where the banks park their profits.

Don't forget, there are various shady brokers involved in all these huge deals, and they're all making a percentage somewhere.

Once these deals start rolling, they don't usually stop.

I won't be terribly surprised if Marissa winds up "consulting" to one of the involved parties at some point also.

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Is Verison going to cut their internet users bandwidth so AOL/Yahoo! etc is more "with it" and can compete with real web portals?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...the discount will be $250m, while The Wall Street Journal places the adjustment at $300m."

The $50m difference is obviously Marissa's payout. Not bad for a 5 year career as a professional gambler.

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Not so much..

..a Legion of Boom (obscure NFL reference to a briefly-good team) as a Cohort of Fail..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like