back to article Nifty website claims to make comparing cloud costs simple. Good luck with that

CostStorage.com is a free public cloud cost calculator covering the Amazon, Azure, Google, IBM, BackBlaze and Oracle clouds and their US regions. It returns a single-dollar amount, taking into account storage needed, data transfer out, number of read and write requests, region, 'temperature' (hot, warm, cool, cold) and …

1. Gnoitall
    Thumb Up

Paraphrasing the Ever-Insightful Douglas Adams

“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly [how cloud service is actually priced], it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable."

1. TheVogon

Re: Paraphrasing the Ever-Insightful Douglas Adams

Wake me up when it can automatically move my VMs to the cheapest one...

1. CostStorage

currently we are only object storage. consider using a container (ie docker) to move across different provider ;-)

1. TheVogon

"currently we are only object storage. consider using a container (ie docker) to move across different provider ;-)"

No need really to do that if the solution supports the main VM image standards ( at least Hyper-V and VMWare) or can convert them.

But yes, Docker as an option does support Hyper-V Containers - which gives you proper isolation between your apps and is portable.

2. @YevP

Yev from Backblaze here -> So, uh. Anyone figure out how to get Backblaze to show up on this list?

1. Flakk

Ouch. That's not right.

Did you speak with Finance? Did they cut the cheque to the "CostStorage Benevolence Fund" yet?

1. CostStorage

we don't have such a fund yet, but will gladly start one ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

Properly snarky response delivered by a vendor on El Reg. Top of my list now.

2. CostStorage

hey @yev- looks like backblaze is in the mix - see screen shot @ http://imgur.com/a/S0lRw :)

1. @YevP

Yup! Looked like there was a glitch the first day or so, now we're showing up as anticipated. Might have been server load :P

3. CostStorage

we fixed the problem with backblaze not showing up in some queries- check now :)

3. TechDave

Seems pretty inaccurate. Just put in the rough data from our last months AWS bill and this tool came out 4 times higher than we actually pay.

1. Ragarath

I had a quick play too, it seems you can sum up their model.

If you do store a lot and don't take out super amount go AWS else go Azure.

2. CostStorage

@TechDave - would you mind sharing the input parameters you entered (number of gigs, etc) ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like