This string is only temporary. If you see this in prod this is bad!

This topic was created by John H Woods .

1. John H Woods Silver badge

This string is only temporary. If you see this in prod this is bad!

I'm getting this on all my Facebook posts at the moment (others can't see it on them).

What's the worst debug message you've seen in prod?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: This string is only temporary. If you see this in prod this is bad!

"lp0 on fire"

Ran across this about 6 months ago when trying to convince a very old bit of kit (IBM 1403) to cooperate with Linux. I jumped about a foot, it had been probably three decades since I last saw that error message.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AC to protect the guilty.

Client phoned up to ask what the hell was meant by a dialogue box that said:

| The fat bastard said this could never happen

There was only one button, but the programmer had considered "OK" or "Close" to be insufficiently specific and, after no small amount of cajoling, the client eventually overcame their reticence and told us the single button said "What a wanker"

Needless to say no-one ever owned up (although we all had a good idea of the identity of the fat bastard overly fond of saying "that could never happen") and the text was cleverly constructed by shuffling a string of random letters, so it took us ages to find it in the code.

3. Long John Baldrick

Why is IBM l0c0?

I remember seeing this when I was running SAS(stat software) on an IGM mainframe years(eons) ago.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon