back to article Chap scripts remote Linux takeover for sysadmins

Linux sysadmins with a sense of adventure: Tokyo-based developer Hector Martin has put together a set of scripts to replace an in-use Linux system over SSH. Over at GitHub, Martin's Takeover.sh is the kind of no-safety-net we imagine El Reg's readers will love. Takeover.sh is: “A script to completely take over a running Linux …

1. Denarius
    Thumb Up

good stuff

this has uses for work environments, especially when software developers have gone feral, again. Something to try in sandpits. Script has decent style. Unusual in bash scripts IMHO

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: good stuff

Just wanted to check - do you mean that it's decent style is unusual, or that it's purpose is unusual, or both?!

2. Chewi
    Thumb Up

I'll try it this week

I've replaced one distro with another remotely a few times, sometimes successful, sometimes not. It's almost always possible but you have to get it right first time and you usually end up forgetting something. It's easier with LVM or btrfs. I may have to swap Debian for Gentoo on a server literally on the other side of the world this week so I'll definitely give this script a look. It will reduce the chances of fucking it up but you never know whether it'll really boot back up until you try it.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: I'll try it this week

"It's easier with LVM or btrfs" --- Chewi

I've been sticking with ZFS for my own non-experimental work. Which (unless I'm missing something makes LVM superfluous). Once your O/S is on ZFS you can just replace a distro by receiving a ZFS snapshot of the new distro.

Is btrfs considered ready for prime time yet?

3. Arthur the cat Silver badge

A definite Swiss Army Chainsaw

This could be very useful, or you could lose a legserver by accident.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

"Swiss Army Chainsaw "

Like it.

And in the true rue Gnu / Linux spirit.

5. Anonymous IV
    Joke

"There's lots of headless uses of Linux"

As in chickens, do you mean?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like