back to article ISIS videos, adtech, and the 'smartest guys in the room' (Google)

Google's ad blacklists, intended to stop big brand advertisements running over YouTube terror videos, aren’t working. In 2014, Newsnight reported that the taxpayer was paying for ads to run alongside beheadings. Three years on, The Times notes that after promising advertisers their ads wouldn't run against certain content, …

1. Potemkine Silver badge

Hit the Wallet

The States have to make it more expensive for Google or Dailymotion to host these barbaric videos by heavily fining them. It these companies loose money, they will find quickly a way to overcome the problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hit the Wallet

er no, daily motion is french

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Unhappy

My flabber is agast

Google put forward a challenge to the advertising and marketing executives to help populate YouTube with more content that combats ISIS propaganda. [...] "We don't believe that censoring the existence of ISIS on Google, YouTube or social media will dampen their impact really," Google's David Drummond told the same audience.

So the bedroom jihadist is going to watch a beheading, an targeted ad will pop up which reads "PSA: Why beheading people is a bad, mmmkay", and he's going to click through to another YouTube video which explains why all the people he's just watched have a part in killing someone are naughty?

This is better than removing snuff videos? Stop the world, I want to get off.

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Re: My flabber is agast

Money <--- root of all evil

1. Tim99 Silver badge

Re: My flabber is agast

"Money <--- root of all evil" Not necessarily, money is just a means of keeping score. “For the love of money is the root of all evil..." (Timothy 6:10) is unambiguous.

3. Dr Scrum Master

Ads?

There are ads on YouTube?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You fucking morons

The great fear of "extreme Muslim terrorists" is how your governments keep stupid people like you paying into the never-ending schemes to "protect you" from the boogeyman by spying on you and inconveniencing your travel with zero terrorists thwarted. Zero. They have caught no one. Just this week the pinheads pretending to run my government ran about patting their fucking backs and pointing to Canada and saying "see, see, Muslim Extremes! Right there! There they are!" but unfortunately no Muslims were involved, so they had to redirect their racism elsewhere and deflect the exposure of their hypocritical and stupidity.

Terrorists are White Christians and Catholics too. Be just as afraid of them, unless you are one. Then be afraid of people like me. :P I will consume a White Terrorist by frying them up in oil and garlic with a crunchy panko breading. They look like fucking pussies to me. Pussies with guns. Pathetic.

There's a fucking terrorist in the White House in the USA. Just a madman wandering the halls in his fucking bathrobe watching Fox News and pretending his world isn't one in which he fucked it up himself.

5. Daggerchild Silver badge

Who *else* has a vested interest in all of the people interested in extremism visiting known locations in the middle of a well oiled realtime analysis system?

Discounting for a moment who is evil, which approach to these videos leads to less dead people?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: 101

Thing is, making it easy for people get radicalised and then (possibly) nabbing them doesn't seem to be working, does it?

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

Re: 101

Well, if you want an instant panacea, I heartily recommend trying 'Ceno-Wyvl'. It's the Choice of the Trump Generation.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

You could not make this shit up. Hooray for capitalism!

7. //DLBL SYSRES

Google are just weird, hypocritical extortionists who pay lip service to safety. On our Google shopping data feed, we cannot list sailing knives, liferafts (because they contain flares), pyrotechnics and anything else slightly pointy. We can however list aluminium powder which can be used as the basis of a very effective explosive device.

OT - we now cannot have copyright notices on product graphics. Having one on the image will result in a ban.

I fucking hate Google and all their works.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like