back to article Conviction by computer is go, confirms UK Ministry of Justice

Petty criminals in Britain will soon be found guilty and sentenced by computers, under new government plans. Originally floated last year in a public consultation scheme, the UK government has now announced it will press on with its scheme to persuade low-level lawbreakers that pleading guilty online is a good idea. "Under …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Victim surcharge

In the case of fare evasion on SouthEast trains exactly who is the victim ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Victim surcharge

Certainly not SouthEastern trains, they get paid compensation for delays by Railtrack, even when they don't pay it to passengers.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Seems like crime is being treated more like a revenue stream than a problem.

1. earl grey
        WTF?

Shouldn't that be "alleged crime"?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Train fare evasion is nominally a private matter between the privatised operating company and the passenger but is enforced through archaic 19th century laws that make it a criminal offence."

Given that it's effectively a form of fraud it's not surprising that it's a criminal offence.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Train fare evasion

Given that it's effectively a form of fraud it's not surprising that it's a criminal offence.

Fraud: wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

Q. Do you have a ticket?

A. No.

It is hard to see where the deception needed for fraud is, unless the person claims that they have a ticket when they do not have one.

1. patrickstar

Re: Train fare evasion

So what happens if you lose your ticket? Off to the court you go, you horrible criminal ticket-loser?

1. Jason Hindle

"So what happens if you lose your ticket? Off to the court you go, you horrible criminal ticket-loser?"

My rough understanding.... The fine comes with a threat of criminal proceedings. Pay up, and it is treated as a private matter; you don't have to plead guilty to anything. Manchester Metrolink even offers a discount for swift payment of fine. I agree, it can be unreasonable, and the otherwise friendly inspectors operate on the principle that mercy is for the weak, but at least there's a clear enough line.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Wasn't that the problem with the Oyster card on buses?

The same people in charge of paying for the system to be fixed were making more money from fines paid by people whose card wasn't recognised

3. James 51
    Holmes

Good, bad or indifferent; if the system costs more to run than it rakes in in fines it will be scrapped.

1. tfewster
      Joke

You're new here, aren't you?

That would be much too sensible, and set a precedent.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: You're new here, aren't you?

The point of online fines is to reduce the costs of the system, presumably so the fines will be larger than the costs.

2. billse10

Re: You're new here, aren't you?

"set a precedent."

There's a bit from Yes Minister, can't remember which one: Sir Humphrey warns the Minister that something could "create a dangerous precedent". Hacker "You mean, if we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing next time?"

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Good, bad or indifferent; if the system costs more to run than it rakes in in fines it will be scrapped.

Only after millions of pounds has been thrown at it, and the person in charge can blame his/her predecessor

3. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"Good, bad or indifferent; if the system costs more to run than it rakes in in fines it will be scrapped."

No way! That's not how government works!

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"We have considered the responses in full and think it is possible to prosecute low-level cases via an automatic online conviction procedure and impose an automated, standard penalty in these cases without compromising the principles of our justice system.

Translation: we've ignored the consultation & will go ahead with whatever we feel like doing.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Further Translation: It worked for Tom Cruise in Minority Report, so by jingo it'll work for us!

1. David L Webb

Further Translation: It worked for Tom Cruise in Minority Report, so by jingo it'll work for us!

I thought Minority Report had psychics predicting future crimes rather than computers trying and sentencing offenders.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"I thought Minority Report had psychics predicting future crimes rather than computers trying and sentencing offenders."

There was a computer involved at some point. Because you had that scene with Cruise wiggling his fingers on a hologram keyboard.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Cruise wiggling his fingers..

Ah. Same keyboarding skills I have then.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Cruise wiggling his fingers..

Wasn't it more of a dance routine?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I thought Minority Report had psychics predicting future crimes rather than computers trying and sentencing offenders."

That comes next, after they've sampled everyone's DNA and used that to predict if we are criminals or not....

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"after they've sampled everyone's DNA and used that to predict if we are criminals or not...."

AC: that briefing paper was marked Top Secret, Prime Minister Only. Please report to your nearest detention centre for immediate processing. (Isn't it wonderful, the stuff we can do now we can leave the ECHR without anyone complaining, we just parrot "the will of the people"?)

2. Robert Helpmann??
            Childcatcher

Minority Report

Perhaps Brazil is a more apt movie for comparison mostly because it doesn't involve Tom Cruise, but also because the broad scope for abuse is all too realistic (and also no Tom Cruise).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Consultation

Translation: we've ignored the consultation & will go ahead with whatever we feel like doing.

They usually do that - public bodies have to do public consultations, but aren't obliged to take notice of the results.

The official response says it all really - We ... think it is possible to prosecute low-level cases .. without compromising the principles of our justice system. Possible isn't the same as likely. Isn't even close.

3. veti Silver badge

I think a more detailed translation would be:

"We think it's a cool idea, so we're going to do it anyway. The fact that my son-in-law runs a database company is neither here nor there."

5. User McUser
    Unhappy

Prosecution Costs?!

Defendants persuaded to plead guilty online will automatically be issued [...] prosecution costs

And exactly what prosecution costs would those be m'ludd? The 1p worth of electricity the server uses processing the form submission?

1. disorder

Re: Prosecution Costs?!

Don't discount the hundred million £ development cost of an insecure, barely functional (and only on IE, at that) website by the favoured contractor of the month.

1. John Arthur
        Joke

'Don't discount the hundred million £ development cost of an insecure, barely functional (and only on IE, at that)'

That would be IE6 presumably!

2. You aint sin me, roit
        Pirate

IE?

I'll take my chances with a jury... chokey would be better than using IE!

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Prosecution Costs?! @User McUser

??? - Of course there are still costs.

The offense still has to be written up, and actually entered as an offense. A case still has to be made before it could be prosecuted. The evaluation of whether a case is likely to succeed if taken to court still has to be made.

I agree that the costs should be fairly minimal, but they are still costs

But to my mind, this new system is really intended to offer people who know they have committed a crime to admit to it, and have a means of going through the justice system without having to go to court, reducing the cost of the whole procedure and saving precious court time.

We already have such a system for traffic offenses. You get caught speeding bang to rights, you can offer to pay the fine, accept the points, and never see the inside of a court room.

In motoring offenses, if you think you're not guilty, you can still opt to go to court, plead your case and let the magistrate decide whether you're guilty or not. The way I read this, you will be able do exactly the same for a number of other minor offenses.

The difference here is that they can be minor criminal offenses, but still, probably ones that would only result in a fine, not a custodial sentence. What's wrong with that?

If you know you're guilty, plead guilty through the web site, and avoid a physical court case. Think that you're innocent, or you've got a chance to avoid it, take your chances in court.

It's not as if the computer will be deciding guilt, taking the place of a magistrate, judge or jury.

The only way this could be seen as disruptive to the justice system is if you are encouraged to plead guilty when you're not, merely to reduce the financial burden. That really would be unjust!

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

"I agree that the costs should be fairly minimal, but they are still costs"

To get CPS to charge the Police need to prepare a pre-charge pack. Roughly 4 hours of paperwork ignoring the evidence collection.

Then they need to spend 2 hours on hold to "CPS Direct", the CPS call centre.

Charge out rate for a Constable is about £60/hour (yes, you can hire Police officers privately). So that's £360, plus CPS lawyer time.

1. DavCrav

"To get CPS to charge the Police need to prepare a pre-charge pack. Roughly 4 hours of paperwork ignoring the evidence collection."

Luckily, in this country, Police time spent investigating an offence is not counted as a prosecution cost, and only actual prosecution costs are counted. Otherwise long investigations would run into the millions.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They could always do it the way press regulations can be made to work: you actually win, but you still have to pay the other side's costs?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Prosecution Costs?! @Peter Gathercole

Re: "The only way this could be seen as disruptive to the justice system is if you are encouraged to plead guilty when you're not, merely to reduce the financial burden. That really would be unjust!"

That's the whole point of this plan. Pleas bargains are all about money.

British Government - taking the justice out of British justice. Yet again.

We can only marvel at those societies that don't think that "justice" like that handed out 300 years ago is anything to aspire to.

1. Mark 85

Re: Prosecution Costs?! @Peter Gathercole

We can only marvel at those societies that don't think that "justice" like that handed out 300 years ago is anything to aspire to.

There are societies or countries like that???? Where?

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Prosecution Costs?! @AC

Most of the time, cases only make it to court in the UK if there is a very good chance that the accused will be found guilty, so a significant number of the cases that make it to court will end up with the accused pleading guilty anyway.

If you can reduce the cost of this process for both the accused and the court system, it looks like a win-win situation to me. Just as long as those who think they've been unjustly accused still have access to the court system if they want.

6. Suburban Inmate

Somnio (2016)

Must find a source for that and watch tonight...

7. Stevie

Bah!

This is how NY stop light violations and out of state speeding tickets are handled in the USA. Other than the usurious charges to pay by credit card (and the attempt to shame me into same on the part of the NY Stop Light Fascisti by printing "GUILTY PLEA BY STOP LIGHT SCOFFLAW SCUM" in bold, black shouties on the envelope*) it works well enough. I break the law in some trivial way, get caught dead to rights, pay the fine and everyone gets on with their lives.

No-one forces me to plead guilty, but I have to make a court appearance if I don't.

And if I can't afford the time, I shouldn't do the crime. Or at least keep it down to 9 mph over the limit in South Carolina on I95.

* I paraphrase, but the "GUILTY PLEA" is definitely in there somewhere. The ploy fails because if I had any shame I wouldn't have shot the light in the first place.

1. DNTP

Re: "it works well enough"

The reason you're getting a downvote is that I got one of these automatically generated citations for:

1. A different state I'd never been in at the time

2. A car I don't own and in fact have no license to operate

So do I travel to court in a different state to dispute the charge, just pay the $50, or hire an out-of-state lawyer to represent me? Why is the system set up so that when the charge is inevitably dismissed, the company automatically generating these complaints doesn't have to cover the costs of their perjury or face any legal penalty?

1. Stevie

Well, you could do either of those, or you could just do what you are supposed to do.

If you can prove what you say you simply send back the citation with the little boxes in the back filled in and the proof you were somewhere else or a statement to the effect that you never owned the vehicle in question.

Of course, if this is a sign you are the victim of ID theft, then you have an uphill battle, but then a ticket is the least of your problems. Someone bought and registered a vehicle under your name. You'll almost certainly need a lawyer to begin sorting that mess out.

As for the "wasn't there, was somewhere else" scenario; happened to my wife a while back when the Triboro Bridge Authority tried to dun her for tolls she never incurred. Easily fixed by return mail.

Honestly, why would you think that these contingencies hadn't been covered? This could easily have been researched before you knee-jerked. Sometimes I wonder about the people in the IT game these days.

1. cream wobbly

Ooh, look at all the clever downvoters who're embarrassed they never thought of the contingencies and want to be angry at something, and if they can't be angry at the system they thought was wrong, they'll be angry at the person correcting them, bigorra!

1. DavCrav

"Ooh, look at all the clever downvoters who're embarrassed they never thought of the contingencies and want to be angry at something, and if they can't be angry at the system they thought was wrong, they'll be angry at the person correcting them, bigorra!"

Oi! Listen twat: we're downvoting because the 'corrector' is trying to ignore the person's actual experience of the system. You don't get to say 'but contingencies!' if someone is standing there saying 'that system fucked me over'.

1. Stevie

Re: we're downvoting because

the 'corrector' is trying to ignore the person's actual experience of the system

So my numerous personal experiences of the system as related don't count but his one does, just because it confirms your knee-jerky expectations of perfidy and malfeasance?

Tough crowd.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"If you can prove what you say you simply send back the citation with the little boxes in the back filled in and the proof you were somewhere else or a statement to the effect that you never owned the vehicle in question."

Plus a bill for your time, at the same rates a top lawyer would charge.

1. Swarthy

Some of the auto-ticket agencies will have a (non-toll-free) number to call so you could dispute the ticket, after waiting on hold for half an hour or more.

2. Stevie

Re: Plus a bill for your time

If you can't afford the time, don't do the crime.

Easy peasy puddin' and pie.

8. Ogi

What about the consequences of admitting guilt?

I mean, unlike parking tickets, where you can pay the pound of flesh and go on your merry way, my understanding is this deals with criminal convictions.

So in theory, if you click "guilty" online, you now have to tick the "Have you been convicted of a crime in the last 5 years" checkbox on job applications, which 95% of the time fast tracks your application to the cylindrical filing cabinet. Not to mention other things (like car insurance) which want the same information, and I never clicked "yes", but I don't think it does your insurability any good to do so.

Sounds like there would be more reason to appeal and refuse the "one-click convict" system being proposed here. I think anyone would want to have this heard by an actual person. There is more at stake than just paying the penalty here.

This seems really ill thought out as concept. Besides, I thought Amazon has the patent on "one-click" online shit. Would love to see the arguments with reference to this.

Also worries me what the background thinking is behind this.. something along the lines of "Soon we are going to turn so many people into criminals with our law changes, we are going to need an automated one-click justice system to be able to handle the load"?

On the other hand, black hats will ply a busy consulting trade, hacking the system to minimise the penalties or otherwise mess with the justice system to the benefit of their clients.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: What about the consequences of admitting guilt?

People will have to tick that "I'm a criminal" box whether they admit guilt online, in court, or are found guilty by the court.

I can see no advantage to going to court and pleading guilty over doing that online. In fact, going to court would likely be the more expensive option.

The rationale for the scheme is that it costs money and wastes time to have people come to court only to admit guilt and have a judge sat there rubber stamping that. And other cases, which do need to be heard in person, will be delayed while that hearing is in progress. There are savings to be had if people who are going to plead guilty can avoid court appearances completely.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon