back to article Cloud price wars resume as Microsoft cuts by up to 51 per cent

Microsoft has made another round of cuts to its cloudy costs, for both virtual machines and storage. Microsoft's F-series VMs, which offer cores on a Xeon E5-2673 v3, are down by up to 23 per cent for Linux and 18 per cent for Windows machines. The A1 Basic VM, Microsoft's second-wimpiest cloud server, is down by up to 42 per …

1. AMBxx Silver badge
    Facepalm

Classic Microsoft

Don't they discuss this stuff internally? Instead of annoying everyone last month, they could have just hung on and announce a 'despite Brexit' price cut.

Another open goal missed.

1. Dwarf

Re: Classic Microsoft

No, its summed up in one word.

GREED

1. AMBxx Silver badge

No greed involved as far as I can see - they've just mucked up their pricing policy by making a large increase followed by an even larger decrease. They could have had some good publicity, but they blew it (again).

1. TheVogon

The price increase was due to currency movements and impacted nearly everything. The price decrease is just for Azure and is unrelated...

1. dermots

Correct. The pricing announcement is accurate but sounds more general than it is in reality. The article is also accurate in that only "wimpy" VMs have had a price cut. The recent price increase is unchanged for other VMs.

2. P. Lee
    Paris Hilton

>Figuring out exact costs is hard because the figures Microsoft's provided us pertain to price cuts in particular regions.

So do people move to cloud based on economics or is on-prem MS just as opaque, price-wise?

1. AMBxx Silver badge

You could say that on-prem you don't know how much electicity you're going to use or how long the server will work without replacement parts.

As an industry, we're all still working out what's suitable for cloud and what should be on-prem. Just need to ignore anyone that says 'everything should be cloud' or 'nothing should be cloud'

2. stephanh

I understand that for on-prem MS you can hire a third party "Microsoft Licensing Advisor" who will explain MS pricing structure to you and make sure you don't pay too much. This suggests to me that their pricing structure is not the most transparent imaginable. At least I haven't seen similar services directed at purchasing peanut butter from the local supermarket.

3. BobChip
    WTF?

Cutting costs?

I appreciate that I do not know the starting prices from which these price cuts have been calculated, but on the face of it as written ...

To quote from your article, "up to 23 per cent for Linux and 18 per cent for Windows machines". I'd have expected it to be the other way round. Or is it just that M$ greed takes precedence over providing a financial incentive to persuade users to switch to Linux?

Strange company, M$.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cutting costs?

It's not that surprising if you consider the "love for Linux" merely a mask they used to con people into infecting that platform with cancerous* Microsoft-provided components.

Consider it evidence that the mask is simply starting to slip a bit.

* Well, I wasn't the first to call an OS and/or its licence a cancer..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Could also be that they have more to go on the Windows VMs, as the Linux ones already cost less (close to half the price).

So taking off the cost of hardware / running costs for all types of VMs, then knocking some off the licensing costs for windows.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Or is it just that M$ greed takes precedence over providing a financial incentive to persuade users to switch to Linux?"

Why would they want to persuade people to but a choice that makes them less money and isn't as good??

In return for paying the extra for Windows Server you get better performance for most things, numerous features you cant get out of the box or without hacks on Linux - like network card hardware offload, advanced file storage, clustering, and advanced security features, far greater ease of use (really, editing text files in the 21st century?!) and fewer security patches required to be evaluated / tested / installed than for an equivalent enterprise Linux install...

1. joed

"really, editing text files in the 21st century?!" - what's wrong with this? MS tend to mix text/xml files, registry and binary. Is it better to try to edit some binary blob only to find out that MS locked it from you?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like